Thailand braces for intense heat with temperatures soaring

webfact

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

We've got 35 or 36 forecast in my area of Kalasin Province for at least the next 10 days. About average.

The Weather Channel app on my phone says ฮุดร is 37o C at the moment and forecast the same for the next few days.

2 hours ago, arick said:

Last year March first was 40 c stayed that way for two months.  My pool will be warm as piss 

Fabulous innit? I've been getting ready for hot season by practicing my pool techniques. I figured dips between noon and for everyday should take care of things

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Different kind of heat in Australia. I've been comfortable wearing a jacket in 40 degrees, and I'd sometimes go outside to stand in 43 degrees. Just move slowly, but the low humidity means it isn't too uncomfortable. 

Humidity plus heat = seriously uncomfortable. Dry heat is more bearable.

• Agree 1

On 2/20/2024 at 11:02 AM, still kicking said:

Marble Bar, known as Australia’s hottest town, is indeed bracing for extreme temperatures. The forecast suggests that the temperature could reach 49°C this weekend1This is close to the Australian temperature record for December, which is 49.9°C, set at Nullarbor in South Australia on the same date in 20191The highest temperature ever recorded in Australia was 50.7°C at Oodnadatta Airport in South Australia, in January 19601. So, while Marble Bar may not break the all-time Australian record this weekend, it’s certainly approaching it. Stay cool and hydrated if you’re in the area!

Port Hedland WA 10 Jan 2024

50 degrees.

Screenshot_25670220_193108.jpg

I'm sorry but I'm an active outdoor guy. My Thai wife is too and seems to handle the cold better than many male wimps I know.  I can keep warm in -20c , with low level of activity, but I cant get cool outside in 39c.  I can't do much outside over 39c.   If you live a sedentary life it may be ok.    We hit 40c a handful of summer days here but its still cooler early in the day to get outside. 

Some of these people that have been moving to Montana, Idaho, and mountain towns may be doing the smart thing for 50-100 years down the road. 

We have been ice fishing about 8-10 times.  One morning it was a bit nippy. But not much moisture in the air for much energy exchange if you understand thermodynamics. And no wind to speak of.  And the sun feels amazing on those days. 

20240131_135130.jpg

20240131_102944.jpg

1708437461083.jpg

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Whose records?

How/what were they measuring?

What was their accuracy?

You can do some research instead of just showing what you challenge others to answer.
Try this: "2023 was warmest year on Earth since direct observations began. In Berkeley Earth's analysis 2023 was 1.54 °C above our 1850-1900 average, making it the first year above 1.5 °C. The extreme heat was due to a combination of natural and man-made factors, including global warming and an emerging El Niño event. 17% of the Earth's surface had a locally warmest year, affecting 2.3 billion people, including significant parts of Asia, South and Central America."
https://berkeleyearth.org/global-temperature-report-for-2023/
Their story is at https://berkeleyearth.org/about/

They also show their reporting versus the other agencies globally
ComparisonModern-2023-1-1024x576.png

• Agree 1

Here is a Bangkok specific reply as to the effect El Nino has on the history of heat during March, April and May. The peak temperature for El Nino globally is generally in February of the year after the El Nino started. Temperatures are rising globally, so recent La Nina years have averaged higher than El Nino years of even a decade ago. 2024 is when the peak temperatures for this El Nino cycle are expected.
These charts and tables show monthly averages compared to 30 years of averages for the same months from 1991-2020.
BangkokHotSeasonChart.jpg.b4c90e24140f84068cd172d9221dfe1a.jpg

BangkokHotSeasonTable.png.c43a74fcdfa2dc4640ed33c13740a606.png

I highlighted the El Nino months to call attention to why this 2024 season from March through May has a high likelihood of being uncomfortably hot.

22 minutes ago, RPCVguy said:

Try this: "2023 was warmest year on Earth since direct observations began. In Berkeley Earth's analysis 2023 was 1.54 °C above our 1850-1900 average, making it the first year above 1.5 °C.

How could they measure temperature to within 0.01C in 1850?

What instrument did they use?

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Donga said:

Is so easy spermwhale, but journalists these days don't have the curiosity or objectivity to do. I'm talking about regular media claims like Aussie bush fires, the last ones were termed "unprecedented", they weren't if you are able to look up records or old newspaper articles. Same with unprecedented temperatures in many reports, or cyclone activity or flood levels. The world is a big place with so many cities, so not surprising that daily there are at least a few with record levels, i.e. since measuring was established. Blink of an eye, charleskerins.

And btw, did you comprehend I allowed "the world may be slowly warming"? It's the daily alarmism, preaching, impact on kiddies and stupid extremist activists with support from useful idiots who won't embrace nuclear energy - totally at odds with so much science. Could they imagine what the situation would be if nuclear energy was now triple, instead of waiting for 2050. So sad.

I find it interesting on this Outback trip - things like Charleville Corones hotel with pics of the record floods of 1934, which stand today. Or this floodwater level on the Burdekin River. Generations hand down stories, so no surprise it takes a lot to worry a farmer about the dire predictions of Climate Change, when all they really want is accurate weather forecasting.

And anyone who thinks there is scientific consensus around all the facets of Climate Change is deluded, while media often trot out views from the extreme end of the scientific community and on it goes. People are tiring of it, as we are seeing at the polls lately and in policy reversals. Can only cry the sky is falling for so long. The nukes will save us... eventually. As will population decline and all the other energy initiatives underway.

Burdekin River.jpeg

Thanks for posting your proof of climate change. seems they have been monitoring floods for over 150 years, but half of the 10 biggest floods happened in the last 30 years. That is statistically significant...

Hunting pigs at 40 degrees Centigrade - how about fishing at 45 degrees centigrade (northern Territory). And that was back over 40 years ago. The fish were usually dead by the time you got them on the bank, the hot water in the shallows killed them. Many tropical fish are already living close to there upper temperature limits, last year i lost lot in April and May that were in Aquaria - it got to hot for too long.

The importance of climate change/warming is not that new records are being set every year, but the frequency of events is increasing, whether it is heat waves, droughts, storms, fires or floods. Eventually you hit a point where these events start affecting the environment, like when all those fruit bats died in Australia a couple of years ago. As gecko said, this year some vegetables have not been growing well. Same for me.

8 hours ago, stix40 said:

Sounds like they are getting the weather news from the daily Expenses UK 

Obviously thousands of people to die imminently ! 

Daily express (dammed predictive text)

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

How could they measure temperature to within 0.01C in 1850?

What instrument did they use?

Daily measurements on hundreds of locations globally, gathered over 50 years and averaged gave a DEFINED baseline that the IPCC nations agreed (in 2015) to use as the pre-industrial starting point. Very refined instrumentation since then has allowed agencies to measure the current AVERAGE to a level of precision.
If you look at the graphics in my post above at
https://aseannow.com/topic/1320365-thailand-braces-for-intense-heat-with-temperatures-soaring/?do=findComment&comment=18708900
Pay attention to how closely the different, independent agencies numbers have agreed over the last 50 years.
Then too, look at:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1319433-first-time-the-world-has-exceeded-15c-for-an-entire-year/?do=findComment&comment=18698506

You will see some lines have a shaded range showing the degree of uncertainty in that researcher or agency's numbers.