Thai university lecturer tried to murder me and got away with it.

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

* It was an ex GF who assisted - not someone of influence herself, but an overseas Masters Graduate and someone from a background of relative wealth so the police could tell I was not your everyday breed of expat monger.... so I suspect that may have made a difference. 

Makes a huge difference! 

If the g/f was Buriram Noi, they would see that your influence would likely be very low.

Quite possibly - But Buriram Noi and similar have never been on my radar....   perhaps for those reasons, but also for the reasons that I have nothing in common with an uneducated girl from anywhere, so have never been interested in dating anyone who is below my socio-economic-educational bracket....   

... that may sound very snobbish and objectionable, but I'd never date someoene like that in the UK, so why here ?...   

Awkward for some to swallow when trying to justify why they are married to the 'cashier'...  but life is certainly easier when you are not forced into those brackets - perhaps thats why some complain they get treated lower than the dog, even by the one they married. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The aim of this thread is clearly in the op. Foreigner kicks Thai woman and is arrested within a week, and probably deported, Thai man attempts to kill foreigner and nothing for 4 months.

It's about inequality, Thai racism and foreigners hate for each other.

To the Thai authorities we are literally less important than soi dogs. There are laws used to protect soi dogs. But we are nothing more than easy cash for their wallets.

The Thai doctor took action and filed charges,did you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

With all due respect Richard, I am entitled to my opinion based on what I have witnessed and what I consider fact.

If you can't handle my negative post based on what I know then that's your problem.

But kindly don't complain about another members negative comment as I've witnessed a few of yours that I'd also consider slightly bias.   Your better off sticking to the story huh   !

I agree... I do carry negative bias against Thai's in a number of posts.... I carry negative Bias against Thai authorities when were discussion road safety, I carry negative bias of the Thai police when dealing with the same issues.

And I also read the repetitive negative bias from a number of posters who it seems are unable to look at Thai's and their actions in any favourable light.

Thus: When you make a false claim that the The Thai Legal system is dishonest, unfair and unjust against the foreigner, I have highlighted that the degree of negative bias against Thai's frequently surfacing in your posts suggests your input is far from factual and based on emotion rather than fact. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree... I do carry negative bias against Thai's in a number of posts.... I carry negative Bias against Thai authorities when were discussion road safety, I carry negative bias of the Thai police when dealing with the same issues.

And I also read the repetitive negative bias from a number of posters who it seems are unable to look at Thai's and their actions in any favourable light.

Thus: When you make a false claim that the The Thai Legal system is dishonest, unfair and unjust against the foreigner, I have highlighted that the degree of negative bias against Thai's frequently surfacing in your posts suggests your input is far from factual and based on emotion rather than fact. 

I didn't even read your post.   I don't want a tit-for-tat discussion about nothing.

enough said.  tks.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't believe anything I do will have any effect except to leave me with less money in my bank account.

If I were Thai it might be different, but only if my family had more money/connections than his family.

This is a deeply corrupt country with no rule of law or justice for locals, let alone foreigners.

If you have enough money you can even kill policemen with impunity.

Seems you have figured it out. The police is not there to police anything, have you seen a speed camera anywhere? They don't care if a motorbike or car is registered and whether the drivers have proper licences. It benefits them to have more accidents to "mediate", which results in mediation fees. In the mediation process it is important who has more money to be milked and who knows bigger khun. Why would they be pressing charges? What's in for them?

10 minutes ago, connda said:

"We" get it.  You've gone completely native.  :thumbsup:

There Are None So Blind as Those Who Will Not See 👨‍🦯👨‍🦯👨‍🦯

It seems you are implying that All Thai's treat all foreigners like Dogs.....  (or less than) and those who have not encountered this diminished level of treatment are blind and 'will not see'  ???  you clearly lack the ability to see outside of your limited experiences and thus project with bigotry and bias...  

The reality is, many of us here are just not losers and have not made such poor choices that those around us treat us like dogs.... we are mutually respectful and respected and life is just normal - not this constant battle against the Thai's who always hate us as posters such as yourself seem to imply. 

I'm perfectly happy with the respectful manner with which I am treated in Thailand and thats anywhere from a little cafe to a Police station... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I didn't even read your post.   I don't want a tit-for-tat discussion about nothing.

enough said.  tks.

Thats ok - perhaps the Forum would do well to colour code posts... 

i.e. Colour those with a Thai Bashing sentiment in red - then it'd be easier for you to remain in your eco-chamber that all Thai's are bad and hate foreigners.

Given the comments of a number of posters on this forum its easy to identify those posters whose encounters with Thai's are more negative than positive and its easy understand why when they openly exude so much negative bias.... 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

If the impact had caused damage, surely the car driver would have mentioned it as a mitigating defence point.

Agreed...   So what did the driver say ??

... According to BritMan it was something along the lines of...  "I deliberately tried to kill that Farang"   

So... do you believe that is what is really on record ??? 

In my experience, road rage acts like that are triggered when "provoked" by either a finger or a wave, or a "F*** you" etc. Maybe BritManToo did none of these things, in which case he was just very unlucky, but I agree with you it is unusual.

Yep..  this is why I've been asking... Brit is avoiding all parts of this discussion, why ?

I recall an English guy being chased and shot dead in Pattaya, after giving a middle finger to a guy if I recall correctly. A friend of mine in France was stabbed to death for tapping the rear window of a car which refused to give way at a zebra crossing.

People go nuts behind the wheel, not just in Thailand, but they are usually insulted or "provoked" first. 

Agreed....   So I'm wondering what it was that provoked this driver ?

The only mention has been that Brits Bag brushed his car......  If thats all it was, then its nothing and the driver is insane.

BUT... is that all it was ??...

Did Brit try and apologise on the spot ??.... etc etc.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Up to you if you believe that... but you have given the 'authorities' (Thai Police in this case) no indication that you are 'any more important' that a Thai Factory worker who'd be treated exactly the same... with a general indifference....  

I refuse to use money, bribery or influence to change any outcome in my favour. That would make me as corrupt and unworthy as the Thai authorities.

If you can think of any rta offence that would justify attempted murder, I'd like to hear it!

You have not even filed civil charges, but are using an example of another case where civil charges were filed. 

So you are not comparing like for like when using the example of the Swiss man kicking the Doctor.

You are saying this is attempted murder because you are approaching the discussion with emotional bias. 

This appears to be vehicular assault....  possibly even 'aggravated' vehicular assault - but that can't be ascertained as you are being secretive as to the specific events of the 'bag brush'... 

I'm not actually sure what your point is on this thread - as using the comparison with the Swiss Man kicking the Doctor is not similar at all to a man running you off the road....   I think you are looking for sympathy for your Bias that the Thai legal system is unfair against foreigners, but your examples are not comparable when you are too lazy to file any further charges, if you want action, you have have to be the one to push for it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The only mention has been that Brits Bag brushed his car......  If thats all it was, then its nothing and the driver is insane.

Sitting in a car, stereo on. Bag brushes your car ...why would you even notice.

Absolutely did not happen. The driver chased him down for a reason.

He whacks his car, driver honks, OP flips him off. Driver goes after him. Thats why its a secret. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

i.e. Colour those with a Thai Bashing sentiment in red - then it'd be easier for you to remain in your eco-chamber that all Thai's are bad and hate foreigners.

Screenshotfrom2024-03-0418-15-53.png.d066ce1469a76b3e147380996ca26f30.png            :whistling:

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

.. that may sound very snobbish and objectionable, but I'd never date someoene like that in the UK, so why here ?...   

Fair enough. 

The retired Norwegian seamen seem to be happy getting a Buriram Noi who is 20/30 years their younger; wouldn't happen in Norway.

Similarly the sexpats in Pattaya love Thailand for sex but then complain when they are treated as lower class citizens.  

3 minutes ago, connda said:
29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Screenshotfrom2024-03-0418-15-53.png.d066ce1469a76b3e147380996ca26f30.png            :whistling:

This seems to imply that you think my posts are 'Thai Bashing'...   which is a little odd given the flow of discussion... 

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed...   So what did the driver say ??

... According to BritMan it was something along the lines of...  "I deliberately tried to kill that Farang"   

So... do you believe that is what is really on record ??? 

Yep..  this is why I've been asking... Brit is avoiding all parts of this discussion, why ?

Agreed....   So I'm wondering what it was that provoked this driver ?

BUT... is that all it was ??...

Did Brit try and apologise on the spot ??.... etc etc.

This story has definitely been given a "spin", with omissions and dubious interpretations. We will never know but IMO it's 90% surely a case of *honk* + "<deleted> off" attitude/body language + loss of face/ "who does the farang think he is?".

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Fair enough. 

The retired Norwegian seamen seem to be happy getting a Buriram Noi who is 20/30 years their younger; wouldn't happen in Norway.

Similarly the sexpats in Pattaya love Thailand for sex but then complain when they are treated as lower class citizens.  

Very true...     it highlights what a varied culture it is that we live in...   And while I don't judge others based on their appearance...  I do judge based on their opinions and its often clear that those who claim 'we are treated like lower class dogs'......  are perhaps often treated this way for the most part due to how they behave.

Perhaps not... But the person who goes around claiming all Thai's hate us, all Thai's are cheats etc... are very unlikely to approach each situation differently and on its individual merit and instead maintain the same patterns of superiority and bias...  its far more likely that someones attitude, tone, stance, eye-contact, cross cultural socio-phonetics etc will betray an underlaying lack of class, education and manners that enables the onlooker to accurately place them in a the lower echelons on the pecking order....

... these same people then cry 'mistreatment' without ever understanding how they placed themselves in the very situation the are in having completely failing to understand that the next person will be treated very well because they express more complimentary personality traits..

In short - these people never quite get the fact that its them, not the others who are the issue. 

I'm not suggesting this is true of BritMans accident - but he certainly gives of an underlying attitude that he cares very little for anyone else, ever....  so I can readily see a situation where he has reacted its escalated.... but he hasn't endeared himself to authorities either so they just see this as an accident and nothing more because he hasn't pushed for more. 

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, rattlesnake said:

This story has definitely been given a "spin", with omissions and dubious interpretations. We will never know but IMO it's 90% surely a case of *honk* + "<deleted> off" attitude/body language + loss of face/ "who does the farang think he is?".

Agreed.... I can see that happening in many cases of road rage here. 

But, I'd also like to 'truthfully know' if this is what happened...    There is an example in the past of some rich boy ramming a bus shelter full of people because something angered him (can't find the exact story)...

So there are also a lot of highly unhinged people out there who'll react extremely to very minor situations.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No lawyer required as he signed a confession, it's up to the court to proceed.

Imagine what would happen to one of us foreigners if we ran down a Thai because 'we were angry'?

Ask for money. So he paid hospital. Ask for 1m baht compensation.

• Agree 1

If I recall the original incident as reported by the OP. 

He was slowing down approaching red lights when hit in the rear by a vehicle.

This is a big step to make a claim of attempted murder , as opposed to just a traffic accident.

To satisfy the murder claim intent to kill would need to be established.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

Thank you for notifying us about your being assaulted by a car. 

As a walker I have jumped up on the hood of a car twice in the last few years being agile enough to still do it as drivers intentionally tried to run me down.  Other times drivers aim for me. 

Seriously ???  you are suggesting that while out for a walk drivers have intentionally tried to run you down ???

Or... are you walking in the road and expecting them to stop or slow for you, meanwhile, they are expecting you to get out of the way (just as anyone else does in Thailand) and its only at the last second that you both realise neither of you are taking avoiding action so its suddenly down to you ???

Its the same crossing the road in Thailand...  We'd step onto a pedestrian crossing and joke that the drivers would accelerate for us - the reality is of course different, in that the driver simply has no intention of slowing or stopping and is expecting us to run, dance, jump out of the way....   

... there is no 'deliberate intention to run us down' as you suggest... but just a very stupid act of being the bigger vehicle so expecting others do get out of the way. 

This indicates a line has been crossed.  During all my walks I have never witnessed a driver attempt to run over a street dog.  Usually being overly slow and protective.

Have you truly witnessed a driver trying to run over human ???  I call BS on that. 

And, dogs do a better job of getting out the the way... Some entitled westerner walk down the road or cross it as they would in the West and get somewhat of a surprise.

There is a hierarchical system in Thailand and the rankings are clear.   Your experience has just reinforced my experiences here and I will be even more careful.

Always pays to be careful....      but we should also learn from factual situations and not half stories and incomplete truths that we sometimes get on this forum.

BritMan is still refusing to discuss what triggered the Driver to try and kill him, but expects us to believe this murderous rage was triggered by a shopping bag harmlessly brushing part of a car and nothing else...   which lends to a certain degree of skepticism on my part.  

2 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

If I recall the original incident as reported by the OP. 

He was slowing down approaching red lights when hit in the rear by a vehicle.

This is a big step to make a claim of attempted murder , as opposed to just a traffic accident.

To satisfy the murder claim intent to kill would need to be established.

In the original Op, BritMan claimed that the driver who hit him admitted to doing so deliberately and there was a statement to such effect....  Even though BritMan can neither speak or read Thai (in previous threads he's claimed, why would he need to?, he never has any intention of mixing with Thai's).... so I'm wondering how he know what was in the Police Statement made by the Thai Driver... 

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My gov min insurance agreed to run a tab up to 30kbht at my local hospital 2 days after the hit.

His 1st class insurance agreed to pay for everything the day after the police tracked him own (about a week after the hit), pay my m/c repairs, pay my medical bills, pay me a daily compensation until medical care no longer required.

Not sure who picked up the hospital bill in the end, was only 13kbht, government hospitals are cheap.

His insurance paid 25kbht for the m/c repair direct to Honda.

Waiting on the daily compensation payment  as I was only given the medical all clear 2 weeks back.

Unlike the Thais, I'm not that interested in making money out of this, but would prefer to see a custodial sentence handed out just to stop him doing this to someone else. If he ain't punished, he'll do it again, and maybe succeed next time.

If you haven't received your pay for  daily compensation that should be done at the police station with the offender and insurance agent, you and the police officer that took the notes and wrote the confession which you should have a copy of. You can call that officer to request the "negotiation" and payment date be arranged or your insurance as it must be signed off on at the police station. At the very least I would demand that the offender apologize to you in front of everyone there before agreeing to take the compensation. I know this is the process as it happened to me about a month ago. 

• Agree 1