UPDATE: Swiss man’s visa revoked

webfact

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It sounds like he deserves it but then again I'm not thrilled to hear about expats being deported as a general thing. I would have preferred some kind of plan where this man was forced to humiliate himself publicly in a super dramatic way. Lost face for life. I doubt he would reoffend.

If he's got a psychological problem, he will not be humiliated, only worse, his attitude seems to have rubbed off on his wife well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

So how did he make his money? I'd love to know more about his background. It seems to me there are some big questions to be answered.

It was reported on the radio that he was a security guard in Switzerland before coming to Thailand. 

No big questions!!!!

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

He obviously has a lot of money

Why do you say he has a lot of money? 

He owns 1 elephant, rents a house and drives a nice car, possibly rented or leased.

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

The Thai grapevine says he is/was paying 1M Baht per month for the residence. In Switzerland he had only been a security guard. Questions are being asked about how he derives the income to support his lifestyle. Hardly conceivable that an elephant park would do it. There are a couple of ways that come to mind. 

Edited by Rick Bechard
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Oh there is no doubt the guy is a pompous ass and the matter could've been resolved amicably, but between being a **** and being a danger to the public there's a big difference. He might deserve a fine and/or to compensate her financially, but asking to have his visa revoked before his case was even heard by a judge, just because it went public, is excessive.

That's the point - in other countries if you are married to a local you get initially a temporary visa, and a few years later permanent residency. Thailand is quite unique in that even if you are married and lived here for 30 years, you are still no better off than a tourist.

Even if you have kids here, means nothing

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It was reported on the radio that he was a security guard in Switzerland before coming to Thailand. 

No big questions!!!!

Why do you say he has a lot of money? 

He owns 1 elephant, rents a house and drives a nice car, possibly rented or leased.

The house is an uber expensive property with rent mooted at 1 million baht / month. He drives a brand-new, high spec Audi - a very expensive car in Thailand. And he was a security guard previously. Correct me of I am wrong, but that's a low-income job.

Do you not think there are more questions here than answers?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

She can never be compelled to leave Thailand!

I meant only in the context of remaining with her husband. I did include the phrase  'or her husband'. You should read the whole posts and not selectively cut parts off when quoting.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

**flame removed by moderator** sadly this stupid forum doesn't allow blocking

Quit the name calling!

If you want to block a poster and not see any of their posts, use the ignore function. Hold your mouse/pointer over the user name and click ignore.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RobU said:

He gets his money from the Elephant Sanctuary charity. As the chief executive he can pay himself whatever he wants. it's likely that no more than 50% of donations go to caring for elephants. Wealthy Swiss contributors don't know where their money actually goes. See my previous post.

His Elephant Sanctuary is strictly a for-profit tourist attraction. It is not a charity or non-profit business.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

His Elephant Sanctuary is strictly a for-profit tourist attraction. It is not a charity or non-profit business.

As long as the elephants are cared for, does it really matter?

• Confused 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Smokin Joe said:

Thanks for the info until this point all posts declared it was a charitable organisation hence I presumed his ability to work in Thailand and hold a work visa was related to that. As far as I am aware no foreigner is allowed to work in Thailand without a specific work visa which is difficult to get hold of unless the work brings money into the country I would suppose that a visa for running a private Elephant ride would be very difficult since there are plenty of Thai's who can do the same.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mstevens said:

The house is an uber expensive property with rent mooted at 1 million baht / month. He drives a brand-new, high spec Audi - a very expensive car in Thailand. And he was a security guard previously. Correct me of I am wrong, but that's a low-income job.

Not if he did a runner with the dosh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

Seems like it is not a sanctuary it is a petting zoo where tourists pay to interact with the the elephant. If the elephant gives rides to tourists then it is most definitely not a sanctuary or a petting zoo it's just an elephant ride which should not attract a work visa for him. Charities are allowed to sell services as long as the profit is put back into the charity if it was a charity and he takes a salary from those profits it would be classed as part of the running costs for charitable purposes 

Edited by RobU
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:
19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

She can never be compelled to leave Thailand!

I meant only in the context of remaining with her husband. I did include the phrase  'or her husband'. You should read the whole posts and not selectively cut parts off when quoting.

You should read what you wrote and what it means to a reader.  You actually posted this: "...and now she has to also leave Thailand, or her husband"  (in full, for your clarification), which, very clearly, suggests an alternative to her being compelled to leave, not an accompaniment to him.  You may not meant to have posted that, but you did.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, BE88 said:
16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

When was it confirmed that he was leaving?

It has now been decided that his visa will no longer be renewed so he will have to leave in a few days.

No, it has not as of today, 6th March, but in case I have missed it, you'll be able to state by whom, and quoted officially where?   AN posters' opinions aren't official and "maybes" aren't confirmation.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

If he's siphoning the majority of the profits for his lavish lifestyle, I'd be surprised if they are well taken care of. At most, probably the bare minimum to not be called abuse.

You'll notice from my posts that I think he is odious scum and deserves what's coming to him, but to be fair it seems the elephants are well cared for (maybe that's why he married one?). Look at TripAdvisor and Google reviews and they are unanimously positive and comment on how well cared for, healthy and happy the animals are.

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

You'll notice from my posts that I think he is odious scum and deserves what's coming to him, but to be fair it seems the elephants are well cared for (maybe that's why he married one?).

He married an elephant?

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2024 at 8:35 AM, jesimps said:

Deport him! Too many people offering violence in countries that have been kind enough to let them stay and getting away with a slap on the wrist, sometimes not even that. If it were up to me, I'd give him a jail sentence and then deport him. Lefty solutions like holding a candlelit vigil outside his house, group singing "Cum Ba Yah", having a protest march or handing out leaflets would be water off a duck's back to thick skinned bolshy types like this guy.

Bolshy Lefty ? LOL. You have the wrong end of the stick Facist or Nazi maybe 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mstevens said:

house is an uber expensive property with rent mooted at 1 million baht / month.

Where did you hear this, have you a link? 

8 hours ago, mstevens said:

He drives a brand-new, high spec Audi - a very expensive car in Thailand. And he was a security guard previously. Correct me of I am wrong, but that's a low-income job.

His Audi is not that expensive, it's not an R8 or similar. 

The guy is a scammer, he's got his elephant sanctuary siphoning money from the visitors, using this money to pay mortgage and lease his Audi.

I agree with you, something is wrong when a ex security guard can live this life style but scammers, con man can extract money from the public easily, good people are too trusting. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Love It 1