British man quits England for Thailand’s tropical tranquility

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Having spent two months in Thailand, Riyan is determined never to return to the UK

Well yes 22yos never change their mind.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The first question I have, why do he think he is going to make it in Thailand I he did not make it in Uk? 

I would say, it will take more to succeed in Thailand than Uk, even without knowing anything about the possibilities for a young man in Uk! 

It always comes down to be diciplined and willing to work hard and understand what it takes to succeed in anything in life. 

Very few experience success in Thailand. Day to day, yes, but to secure yourself and family for the future? Insurance, safety money, education for kids, pension,,,,,

He is young and stupid. After the money runs out he goes home.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

riyan.jpg

A disgruntled British man declared he has quit England for Thailand pledging never to return to his homeland.

Riyan Ruparelia left Blighty for the Land of Smiles in January vowing he’d had enough of truth-twisting ruling Conservative Party, Sir Keir Starmer’s Tory-lite opposition Labour Party, and the economic destruction of the United Kingdom and its soaring crime rate.

The 22 year old London-born receptionist booked a one-way ticket to Bangkok, Thailand, at the beginning of the year, revealing plans to tour Thailand for a few months before finding somewhere to settle down.

Before departing for Thailand, Riyan worked 30 hours a week as a receptionist at Powerleague, earning £11 per hour (500 baht).

While still living with his parents in Brent, London, Riyan realised he couldn’t afford to rent a place of his own in the UK, prompting him to explore other options. Having visited Thailand thrice before, Riyan developed a deep affection for the country and bought a one-way ticket from Heathrow for £500 (22,750 baht).

Having spent two months in Thailand, Riyan is determined never to return to the UK and aspires to bring his family to Thailand once he has settled down. He also expressed feeling safer walking alone at night in Thailand compared to the UK, where he felt too apprehensive to do so.

IMG_9385-1.jpg
Picture courtesy of Riyan Ruparelia’s Facebook account

“I don’t plan to live in the UK ever again. I will come back and see my family but I don’t feel like the UK is the sort of place I can see myself living now. As a country, it is not heading in the right direction.”

During his time in the UK, Riyan held a receptionist position, earning just above the minimum wage. Working full-time at £11 per hour, he acknowledges that he would have struggled to afford to move out of his parents’ home and rent his own property.

“On my wage, I was just not able to move out of my family home. I know for a fact I would not have been able to afford rent.

“With rent prices through the roof and unaffordable housing, how are people affording to live in the UK? Here in Thailand, the cost-of-living is a tenth of the price compared to the UK.”

Another factor contributing to Riyan’s departure from the UK was the increase in crime, as he expressed feeling constantly unsafe

“If you know London, there is so much knife crime and robbery. You don’t feel safe walking the streets and it is not getting any better. Here in Thailand, people will leave their keys and bags on their bikes. You don’t have to look behind you when you’re walking home at night and women will walk at night alone.”

Riyan mentioned that his parents were “supportive” of his decision to move, expressing his aspiration to bring them to Thailand and assist them in retiring.

“They were incredibly supportive of my decision, encouraging me to seize the opportunity. I would love to have my family here with me. My ultimate goal is to provide for my parents and help them retire. Achieving retirement in the UK is incredibly challenging.”

Having been in Thailand for two months, Riyan plans to explore the country before determining where to settle down.

“Thailand is vast, offering megacities, mountains, and stunning beaches. Currently, I’m travelling around to decide on my preferred location for settling down. I have a large group tour planned for April, so I’ll make my decision after that.”

IMG_9386-1.jpg
Picture courtesy of Riyan Ruparelia’s Facebook account

by Bob Scott

TOP Picture courtesy of Riyan Ruparelia’s Facebook account

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

More in the UK press,the darker moments. He is Muslim, not that makes it anything, but boozing a no no, do not know where he drinks but he quotes £10 a pint in UK,can get a good pint here for less than £2

Give it,two months then bye bye

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

"Riyan mentioned that his parents were “supportive” of his decision to move...."

In other words, they gave him an ultimatum.

Not necessarily,they could be footing the bill for his sojourn in Thailand

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The 22 year old London-born receptionist booked a one-way ticket to Bangkok, Thailand, at the beginning of the year, revealing plans to tour Thailand for a few months before finding somewhere to settle down.

17 hours ago, RetroGTAndrew said:

I'd also be interested to hear which airline allowed him to board his flight with a one way ticket?

Isn't it okay presuming he arrives with a Visa... although I thought a return ticket is required to get that visa in the first place.

Not sure of the point of this post, plenty of folks here have quit the UK, the country that educated them, to live here. 

Edited by jacko45k

13 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Well if he's the same guy that I've found on Linkedin, he certainly seems to have his smarts about him. Better qualified than I ever was.

Former President of Reading University Kickboxing Society | Bsc. Economics graduate from the University of Reading

United Kingdom.

He doesn't strike me as the sort of guy who'd just strike out without having some sort of game plan. Good luck to the young fella. I hope Thailand delivers what he's striving for.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/riyan-ruparelia-279b99172

I wouldn't believe anything that I read on LinkedIn anymore than I'd believe a sexy little Thai girl that I met in Pattaya who whispered in my ear, "I LOVE YOU LONG TIME".

They're both out strictly for themselves.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He could not afford to live independently in England when he had a job but he can afford to live in Thailand, apparently without any means of support, just three years out of his minimum-wage teenage years!?  Suspect the OP hasn't reported the full story.

More so, I suspect the Thailand news is trying to put a spin on how good Thailand is compared to England even. It seems the latest news released is full of articles similar showing Thailand in such a good light. Opposite of all the really bad news there has been in the past week. 

Do not misunderstand me, Thailand is a good place to live. But I ask myself how this young man arrives and stays and plans on becoming an expat here with little income and not married to a Thai? His visa should be getting expired soon as the article shows him here for a couple months already. 

• Like 1

what will he do when he needs to pay taxes to renew his visa?

and where does thaiger get a hold of these ludicrous stories?

i dont want to judge this guy by his looks but i sore as hell am doing it

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

He talks about the cost of living in London. I don't suppose living anywhere else in the UK, all of which is cheaper than London, occurred to him? But then, he hates the government and opposition too, yet wants to move to a country where the people's vote means nothing at all and there is no effective opposition either. And there is no benefit in Thailand being 10x cheaper than the UK if you don't have a job. No mention in the article on how he intends to support himself. Maybe he'll do what so many do who don't have a skill they can use, and be a vlogger. There's very good money in that. A UK vlogger travels the world and spends a night in top hotels which costs him up to 2000 pounds a night. Nice job.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Has he come here on refugee status , how does he think he is going to be

able to stay here , "aspires to bring his family to Thailand once he has settled down. "

his bubble is soon going to be burst .

You know, lots of people work illegally. Why do you think IOs resent perpetual tourists? They know lots of them work illegally, and now it is even more possible due to the internet.