What this scam is about?

Terek

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

The Indians were doing the same thing in Hong Kong 20 years ago. HK must have caught on and ran them out where they found their way to Thailand.

So what exactly they are doing with this behaviour? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

The Indians were doing the same thing in Hong Kong 20 years ago. HK must have caught on and ran them out where they found their way to Thailand.

How does the scam progress?

3 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I wouldn't mind giving to people in real need but even here you are not sure if it's scam. The women you see near The Avenue with a baby/child on the floor. I read that they are just scams not real homeless people.

A forum member was giving her coin/taking her to dinner/feeding her a length.

• Confused 2

Typically, these Indian psychics try to trick people into believing that they have special powers, and so that these 'customers' feel compelled into paying the psychic for this 'service'.

A person with special powers, better give a good tip, so that this power does not turn bad towards this individual.

These scammers could have made good psychologists...:smile:

• Agree 1

On 3/7/2024 at 8:27 AM, Terek said:

I noticed this pattern, in Central Pattaya near shopping areas there is some strange people, looking Indian or something similar. They come to random people trying to give some weird advice, usually they start without any manners telling that you are too fat, skinny,  bald or something other about person's  appearance and say they have advice, stupid and annoying. I smell it's some scam going on or just thieves trying to distract victim. Maybe someone smarter can comment what it's all about? 

They probably want to sell you suits at their tailor shop. Other such patterns are saying: "You're a lucky man", or: "Come to my shop for free fries."

Edited by StayinThailand2much

21 hours ago, bbko said:

Scamming fortune tellers, palm readers, psychics types.  I had it attempted on me one time, the guy tried to say he could tell me my past for 1000b.  I just laughed and said no thanks, he countered with "Ok, how much you give?", I said "Why do I need to pay somebody to tell me my past? I lived it".

They used to Ply there trade in Kaosan Rd. "I can tell you your mothers name'', showing an old photo of some Indian school,  taken down a quiet alley 3 of them, ''write the name'', somehow maybe one hidden could see you write, 'now buy 10 bars of this soap for our school an expensive brand name, just to get away from them I brought 10 bars of the cheapest soap, they were waiting outside, jeez they were really pissed off. "We told you this .......soap" 

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

On lower Suk some weeks ago, Indian man approached from behind: "Young Man, I can tell you are searching for something..."

So I turned around: "Young Man? I'm 65, and I can tell you that you are not good at this."

"Sorry Sir, have a good day"

Be aware, they are always at least two...

I did not know they work in pairs.

Sounds like a variant of the “you have a lucky face”  Indian fakir. I have been approached by them many time on lower Suk, and once in Hong Kong. I just laughed 

I think it is a hazard to talk to them they may be skilled at hypnosis and thus talk you out of your monies. 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If they are Indian, for sure a discussion will turn into an argument that you can never end......you have to hit them, fast and hard, before you lose the will to live. 

(Note... For the trolls and woke, this is a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously.)

Not long after I first came to Thailand I was walking down Beach Road when I passed an Indian tailors shop, the guy at the door said something to me, I ignored him and tried to walk on, he then grabbed my arm in a very aggressive way, I grabbed him and put him up against the wall and just stopped myself from landing him one. It was him who was the lucky man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These definitely are not tailors looking for clients. Thieves or scamers more likely, previously in nearby areas there was epidemic of ladyboy thieves, kinda weird as there should be a lot of security cameras around.

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

I wouldn't mind giving to people in real need but even here you are not sure if it's scam. The women you see near The Avenue with a baby/child on the floor. I read that they are just scams not real homeless people.

When I lived and worked in India for a couple of years a long time ago I used to carry around a daypack full of food, and when I would run into beggars I would offer them a banana or an orange. The real hungry people would be very grateful and would accept the gift, the professionals would look at me with scorn and turn away. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Henryford said:

In fact, I remember one in that area who was with several children. The baby she was holding was never the same and someone told me that she rented it to beg on the street.

• Agree 1

A decently dressed Indian guy came down the escalator at Phrom Phong BTS Station in front of Em Quartier Mall, Bangkok. Asked if I speak English. He pressed his internal start button and went straight into his pitch, showing me his -- not sure if it's called a colostomy bag if it's used to collect urine. Yeah, yuck. Drama button 2 gets pressed and the tears started to flow. Then and there I knew the game was on. "No. Bye." The nerve these bums have. I have also gotten the "you have a lucky face" pitch in years past.

On 3/7/2024 at 8:27 AM, Terek said:

I noticed this pattern, in Central Pattaya near shopping areas there is some strange people, looking Indian or something similar. They come to random people trying to give some weird advice, usually they start without any manners telling that you are too fat, skinny,  bald or something other about person's  appearance and say they have advice, stupid and annoying. I smell it's some scam going on or just thieves trying to distract victim. Maybe someone smarter can comment what it's all about? 

I think it's an early probing of gullibility for the later scam.
They will praise some product (snake oil) to lose weight or whatever, and then direct people to their "brother" who has a shop or clinic nearby.

• Like 1