38 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Why do farangs obtaining under the table Retirement Visas, and 90 day reports, not have to have to have a TM30 in their passports? Just curios like.

Bribery and corruption is the answer

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

From what I have heard from a person who has used this kind of service it goes something like this:  1) One lives in Chiang Mai or any province 2) agent obtains a Retirement Visa from an immigration office from another province even though the person has not moved 3) The Agent handles the TM-30 and in many cases will handle the 90 day report as well. I have known this person for many years who has never done a 90 day report.  He always says "my agent does everything".  He has lived in the same building for as long I have known him. Also, he has not left the county in over a decade.  He has always tried to recruit me to the "dark side" and use his agent.  I have always declined. 

This may not be true for all who obtain these types of retirement visas.   

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

From what I have heard from a person who has used this kind of service it goes something like this:  1) One lives in Chiang Mai or any province 2) agent obtains a Retirement Visa from an immigration office from another province even though the person has not moved 3) The Agent handles the TM-30 and in many cases will handle the 90 day report as well. I have known this person for many years who has never done a 90 day report.  He always says "my agent does everything".  He has lived in the same building for as long I have known him. Also, he has not left the county in over a decade.  He has always tried to recruit me to the "dark side" and use his agent.  I have always declined. 

Lets say he pays 16k a year in bribes and extension fee, over 10 years that's 160k as opposed to less than 20k doing it legitimately. I know which I prefer.

13 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Now I'm, along with other honest farang are required, by law, to show a TM 30 'Receipt Notification' in my passport. If I don't have that receipt then I'm committing a crime. That shows how hypocritical Thais are. 

Let's say you check into a hotel for a night/week or whatever.  Did any hotel ever give you a TM30 receipt?  Whilst they might give you something if you ask for it, it is by no means automatic, which you would imagine it would be if you were legally obliged to have it.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Now I'm, along with other honest farang are required, by law, to show a TM 30 'Receipt Notification' in my passport. If I don't have that receipt then I'm committing a crime. That shows how hypocritical Thais are. 

I don't think you are required to have a TM30 in your passport. I have never had a hotel put one in my passport and the times I have been to immigration myself to get a TM30 they did not staple it into my passport like they do with the 90 day report.

Maybe I have been breaking the law and didn't know it.

2 hours ago, proton said:

Lets say he pays 16k a year in bribes and extension fee, over 10 years that's 160k as opposed to less than 20k doing it legitimately. I know which I prefer.

I checked with a local agent and now the same type of Visa is 38,000. 

1 hour ago, biervoormij said:

I don't think you are required to have a TM30 in your passport. I have never had a hotel put one in my passport and the times I have been to immigration myself to get a TM30 they did not staple it into my passport like they do with the 90 day report.

it's actually a receipt and I have had one stapled to my passport for years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, biervoormij said:

I don't think you are required to have a TM30 in your passport.

Yes you do. Those that use an agent do not is my understanding. Which shows how crooked the Thais immigration are.

TM30: All there is to know about Registration for Landlords & Foreign  Tenants

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

it's actually a receipt and I have had one stapled to my passport for years. 

Same goes for me and anyone else doing it legally at an IO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Are you a fan of stereotypes?

My case...I have 800k, I live in the same province as the Immigration office used and I use an agent.

Your comment is not true for many people who use an agent to "obtain these types of retirement visas".... note: these type of visas (extensions of stay) are exactly the same as you probably have.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Why do farangs obtaining under the table Retirement Visas, and 90 day reports, not have to have to have a TM30 in their passports? Just curios like.

Pretty sure you know the answer to that question, I reckon you're just stirring.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, biervoormij said:

Immigration puts the TM30 receipt stapled to the last page of your passport, when you go to them to lodge your TM30. That's the 1st thing they check for when applying for extensions in the future.

Hope you don't have to go for any extensions in the future or do anything at immigration, otherwise you'll face issues.

Edited by bbi1
  • Agree 1

I checked with a local agent and now the same type of Visa is 38,000. 

I pay 8,000 Baht...................a net cost of 6,000 Baht for the convenience of the service that I required.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Immigration puts the TM30 receipt stapled to the last page of your passport, when you go to them to lodge your TM30. That's the 1st thing they check for when applying for extensions in the future.

100% correct.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Are you a fan of stereotypes?

My case...I have 800k, I live in the same province as the Immigration office used and I use an agent.

Your comment is not true for many people who use an agent to "obtain these types of retirement visas".... note: these type of visas (extensions of stay) are exactly the same as you probably have.

Ah, this is one example.  Did you read the last sentence?  Also I have an OA Visa and not a Non Imm O Extension. I never said anything about this process as the norm.  

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

I pay 8,000 Baht...................a net cost of 6,000 Baht for the convenience of the service that I required.

Not providing financial evidence for 8,000? Where?  Even years ago I know it was at least 15,000.

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

My friend pays only 12,500.

He is lucky and I would call that a bargain. Normally the first year is the most expensive.  I know someone who was quoted 55,000 Baht.

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Hope you don't have to go for any extensions in the future or do anything at immigration, otherwise you'll face issues.

Like I say immigration did not staple it in my passport the times I did it myself. Funny immigration has never said anything to me about it not being in my passport in all the times I have dealt with them. I have handed my passport to immigration 4 times in the past year and not a word. The last page of my passport has the receipt from my 90 day report. It may just be that a copy of my TM30 is always included in the stack of papers I hand over each time I deal with immigration so they don't care that is not in my passport.

I will trust that you and @IvorBiggun2 are correct and I have just been lucky. I will staple my current TM30 in my passport.

He is lucky and I would call that a bargain. Normally the first year is the most expensive.  I know someone who was quoted 55,000 Baht.

Why would you say that he's lucky? You've been a BM long enough to have seen multiple threads about the cost of using agents. 

12.5K has been the price at a well-known and trusted agent in Pattaya for some time now. It's only recently that they've started to add an extra charge if your BBL account is not "from PTY" as my friend's agent likes to say. 

Also, I'm not really sure what you mean about "the first year is more expensive". The first extension is the same price as subsequent extensions. 

Seems like you don't know too much about agents and the services they provide. Perhaps read over some of the old threads so you can get up to speed.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Also, I'm not really sure what you mean about "the first year is more expensive". The first extension is the same price as subsequent extensions.

He is referring to folk that require agent to obtain Non O retirement + 12month extension from visa exempt or tourist visa entry. 

Ongoing only extension is needed

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He is referring to folk that require agent to obtain Non O retirement + 12month extension from visa exempt or tourist visa entry. 

Ongoing only extension is needed

I know that, but does he? The post he quoted was referring to annual extensions, not the initial "15 month retirement visa" which is of course twice the cost because it provides twice the service. 

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Not providing financial evidence for 8,000? Where?  Even years ago I know it was at least 15,000.

Read my post above that you commented on...

I have 800k, I was quoting that as a comparison.