Cabinet green lights bills to modify alcohol control law

webfact

I hope they pass this progrissive bill in full. The "it will be harmful to society" argument is complete and utter nonsence. Question: Does this have to be passed by the senate? 

• Like 1

Hoards of tourist, ply them with alcohol, and provide them with prostitutes and gambling... The PM's government's 3 pillar plan to improve the well-being of the all Thai people and nation. 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The article was written by a US college dropout. Need I say more. So, someone with no qualifications to be a journalist.

Would you care to elucidate on that comment as many on here do not have your deep insight into the person you are referring to!

PS: don't ask/tell me to use google etc!

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

Would you care to elucidate on that comment as many on here do not have your deep insight into the person you are referring to!

PS: don't ask/tell me to use google etc!

Certainly.

Step 1 - open the linked article

Step 2 - scroll past the article and Thaiger Talk to the profile of the writer.

• Haha 1

Apart from holidays alcohol is easy to get… Surely people aren’t that desperate to get a drink… Whoever is in charge should be using their time to solve the real problems the Country..,

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Certainly.

Step 1 - open the linked article

Step 2 - scroll past the article and Thaiger Talk to the profile of the writer.

You expect everyone who has had the misfortune to read your two puerile posts to take that action is beyond belief.

It would be beneficial to readers of your comments as to info regarding who is the author and what is the author's background please!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, picctrainop said:

Apart from holidays alcohol is easy to get… Surely people aren’t that desperate to get a drink… Whoever is in charge should be using their time to solve the real problems the Country..,

It has nothing to do with desperation. It has everything to do with abolishing laws that make no sense and, as you point out, are not enforced anyway.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

By the way, I'm commenting as a journalist of over 40 years

In which case you should know, given your so called journalistic reporting expertise(?), that you should be as accurate and descriptive as possible which results in leaving little for your readers to question or investigate! 

PS;  You have still not explained, in your so called professional journalistic style, who or what this author is! 

As stated above it is not for me or other readers to search out the meanings of obscure posts but for the author to either be clear in the first instance or to clarify when asked.

You have done neither!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

In which case you should know, given your so called journalistic reporting expertise(?), that you should be as accurate and descriptive as possible which results in leaving little for your readers to question or investigate! 

PS;  You have still not explained, in your so called professional journalistic style, who or what this author is! 

As stated above it is not for me or other readers to search out the meanings of obscure posts but for the author to either be clear in the first instance or to clarify when asked.

You have done neither!

Here, I'll help you, as you're obviously incapable of clicking the link and reading it for yourself :-

"Mitch is a Bangkok resident, having relocated from Southern California, via Florida in 2022. He studied journalism before dropping out of college to teach English in South America."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

...Quite Clear By Now....

...Pushing This Poisonous Industry While Quashing Any Alternatives...

..Wouldn't Want The Fatal Car Crashes Or Myriad Acts Of Violence 'Under The Influence' To Decline, Would We...(?)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

The Cabinet has given initial approval to five proposed bills aiming to modify the current alcohol control law, a move that could potentially lead to extended selling hours and more relaxed advertising rules. This decision has, however, sparked controversy among anti-alcohol advocates.

The legislation was introduced for its first reading in the House on Wednesday, March 27, and received a majority approval, with 389 voting in favour, nine against, and two abstentions. As a result, a special House committee was formed to review the bills before they proceed to their second and third readings.

This special committee comprises 42 members, including seven cabinet ministers, 14 representatives of eligible voters, and representatives from various political parties. The bills were initially proposed by Thiraphat Khanawong and Charoen Charoenchai, eligible voters; Taopipho Limjittrakorn, a Move Forward Party MP from Bangkok; Chanin Rungtanakiat, a Pheu Thai Party list-MP; and the Cabinet. The draft proposed by the Cabinet is likely to serve as the primary version for the House committee’s review.

Meanwhile, a consortium of advocacy groups campaigning for stricter control over alcohol consumption has voiced its concerns to the House through an open letter. The network is concerned about the potential extension of alcohol selling hours and opposes the sale and consumption of alcohol in various places. It also seeks to maintain restrictions on advertising channels and sales promotions.

The open letter was addressed to House Speaker Wan Muhamad Noor Matha and received by Thongchat Rattanawicha, an assistant secretary to Wan, and Chanin. Duangduean Inthanu, representing the anti-alcohol advocacy network, stated that the group sees no necessity for the legislative changes suggested by the bills.

Supporters of the bills argue that the proposed changes could stimulate the economy. However, the advocacy network contends that the disadvantages would surpass the benefits of promoting alcoholic beverages, with only alcohol-selling businesses standing to gain.

Another representative of the anti-alcohol advocacy network, Santi Chomyong from Ayutthaya, urged the House to prioritise public interest over commercial gains in the face of possible negative impacts of alcohol consumption, reported Bangkok Post.

The government has emphasised the need for a balanced approach, allowing more flexibility in alcohol sales to boost the economy and tourism, while simultaneously safeguarding public health.

by Mitch Connor 

Picture courtesy of Sigrun Blix

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-29

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

The only change that I want them to make is to allow the sale of alcohol early morning so that I can buy my booze at the main supermarket along with the groceries early on. It's really annoying when I know that my favourite tipple is within reach, but I have to settle for something else at my local shop later on. 

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It has nothing to do with desperation. It has everything to do with abolishing laws that make no sense and, as you point out, are not enforced anyway.

Except of course and voluntarily by 7/11, Big C, Lotus's, Tops Markets, There having loaded my chariot with alcohol if I get to check out seconds after 2pm according to the checkout till clock. : Sorry, cannot. Now I don't bother as my new local minimart not a 7/11 is very and surprisingly competitively priced. But they don't do any wine. boohoo.

8 hours ago, alex8912 said:

How many times in Paragon or at 7/11 I've had to explain this to people and they are completely baffled! 

Well done for explaining it to minimum wage workers who are just doing their jobs and have absolutely no influence on the laws. What a joy you must be.

14 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Don't these fools ever go to Malaysia or Indonesia which are Muslim countries and see beer and alcohol are available between 2 and 5pm?? Then of course same in Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam , Cambodia etc..It's completely silly for a loss of better words. How many times in Paragon or at 7/11 I've had to explain this to people and they are completely baffled! 

You shouldn't take it out on the staff, they just do what they are told. If you want a beer or whatever find a store without an electronic till, or keep some spare in the cupboard.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1