Navy Might Get Both Submarine And Frigate Next Fiscal Year: Suthin

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

.THE NAVY MIGHT PROBABLY procure two major warships, a submarine and a frigate, together within the next fiscal year, said Defence Minister Suthin Khlangsang today

From nothing to everything ???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

THE NAVY MIGHT PROBABLY procure two major warships, a submarine and a frigate

I might probably believe it  when I see it!  Damn, why not shoot the works and go for it! Let a few of those  old Rear Admirals retire with a pocket full of baht!

Aussie pollies apparently intend cutting back spending on armed forces.

I'm sure if they ask the boofhead Albo nicely, he'd agree to give them both a frigate and a sub.

At least by the time we get these new subs they'll be over 30 year old designs and pretty useless anyhow.

Well, except for tying them up at the wharf and using the nuclear reactor for general power.

Edited by bluejets
  • Haha 1

Ooooooh I feel all warm fuzzy and safe inside knowing this. Thank you Mr Srettha for standing ups to those who pointed out what and enormous waste of money this boats are.....but generals and admiral must have their toys mustn't they. What a terrible place Thailand would be if it didn't have the cash to splash on this boondoggle. Next you will be telling me that friends of the directors of an airline were allowed to fly with unlimited luggage for their wives to shop in Japan. No I'll never believe that gifting generals and admirals with conscripts to wash their wives' underpants is a bad idea.  

• Agree 1

Imagine the conversation before going to China.

"Hey guys. Let's go to China and tell them in no uncertain terms that we will not buy this submarine."

Then later....

"What happened? How did we go from no submarine to a submarine and a frigate?"

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BritScot said:

wasn't there a scandal about buses from China? Did that ever get resolved and at what cost to thailand? 

Yes it was resolved.

As I recall the buses went from China unexpectantly  through Malaysia for some fittings before entering Thailand. But Thailand customs upon arrival in Thailand, impounded them because of "non-origin additions," and required a large customs duty tax to be paid by the Chinese supplier for the buses. As a consequence of the delay, Chinese exporter was not paid for the shipment.

Long story short (months?), it was concluded that the tax was required from the Thai importer and not by the Chinese exporter. Upon payment, buses were paid for and released for service in Thailand.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

THE NAVY MIGHT PROBABLY procure two major warships, a submarine and a frigate,

It seems that the way the RTN operates its ships, that frigate might become a submarine. 

8 hours ago, bluejets said:

At least by the time we get these new subs they'll be over 30 year old designs and pretty useless anyhow.

Australia's sub orders are not off-the-shelf. US current Virginia nuclear missile attack subs in service now are the state of art. Australia's five sub order in part subsidized by the US will be built to the next tech level for delivery in 2030's. Then US, UK and Australia will be the only nations operating the Virginia class subs. 

Sorry Thailand.

The new frigate and the new sub can practice trying to hunt and sink each other ,, and knowing Thais they will be very successful at it,,, even though they dont want to be .

Join the Thai navy  ......see the ocean bed !!!

Edited by liddelljohn