British tourist found dead in drain following pub crawl on notorious 'Death Island'

webfact

22 hours ago, frank83628 said:

there isn't, you shouldn't believe everything you read !

The problem isn't what we read.  It's what they're not revealing.  Like a cause of death, a toxicology result, or even a statement whether they suspect foul play.  Zip.  Nada.  Just that it's an open case.   Is there any surprise that social media is filling in the blanks with wild conspiracies, especially with the Burmese duo making the news? 

Solving the case is just one of the jobs of the police.  The other is to communicate with the public, especially on an island that counts on tourist money.  Gotta wonder how many British holidaymakers have changed their plans since the news hit.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 8:22 PM, save the frogs said:

these deaths all seem connected to diving 

THe are connected to upsetting those who control businesses on the island

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

The problem isn't what we read.  It's what they're not revealing.  Like a cause of death, a toxicology result, or even a statement whether they suspect foul play.  Zip.  Nada.  Just that it's an open case.   Is there any surprise that social media is filling in the blanks with wild conspiracies, especially with the Burmese duo making the news? 

Solving the case is just one of the jobs of the police.  The other is to communicate with the public, especially on an island that counts on tourist money.  Gotta wonder how many British holidaymakers have changed their plans since the news hit.

very few at a guess. the Island will not suffered in any way from this news and didnt from previous sensationalised stories, kids don't care and if anything it's put the Island on the map for older crowd with families.

1 hour ago, frank83628 said:

yes, best way to grow your business is to kill the tourists bringing you the money! 🤡

I think you need to get upto speed on the hierarchy on most Thai islands

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

Your missing the part where he became separated from the GF, and friends, something happened, that's not being said here. 

Owe I know, ran off and committed suicide. 

It's no joke, I don't know why people go there and drink buckets of alcohol, snort nitrous oxide a and drink shots of tequila and whatever else, it's maddnes to go there. 

And locals can get away with anything there,. Burmese should leave immediately. 

showing you age there keith, people got there as

A, it's part of the backpacker route

B, it's the cheapest place to get your open water diving cert
C, it's an idyllic island to get IG photos, pissed out of your brain & laid!

Edited by frank83628

On 4/14/2024 at 6:54 PM, Shocked farang said:

I did a dive master course there in the 2000's, there was a feeling of connection and friendship among the diving community. But things change fast in developing Thailand. That diving season actually ended with me catching dengue fever. 

But isn't there fighting over the business going on ? and lovers quarrels ? 

4 hours ago, frank83628 said:

really keen to hear how it works, i've been here 20 yrs so good to compare notes!😏

so you already know?...and you'd know wht sharing experiences is not something I'd want to do - but by all means go ahead.

4 hours ago, frank83628 said:

showing you age there keith, people got there as

A, it's part of the backpacker route

B, it's the cheapest place to get your open water diving cert
C, it's an idyllic island to get IG photos, pissed out of your brain & laid!

I've been there, few years ago  now and found it very nice looking, but a complete rip off, full of scamers,and people so out it they didn't know what day it was, once was enough for me, no desire to ever go back 

I find it a repeated source of puzzlement when people who claim to have lived for any length of time seem so unaware of many of the basic facets of Thai life and culture

Almost all of Thailand’s islands were sparsely inhabited until the tourists came along.

The inhabitants were largely fishermen and farming families – the land wasn’t surveyed it was basically squatted.

Within the space of a few years many of these people found that they were occupying very valuable land – hotel resorts bars anything to do with tourism. Some also managed to take over a lot of extra land.

Thailand’s tourist areas were largely subject to untrammelled development and it was all pretty lawless – see the lack of infrastructure.

As there was no real official law, the families used their own “influence to protect their newfound wealth – some legitimate and some not so. Nowadays, they usually have legal businesses as their front.

The model for this exists in most Thai provinces – it’s “Chao Pho” – it translates as “godfather” and also refers to the organisation under them.

It’s a characteristic of the Thai “mafia” that it is very fractured and localised.

Its estimated that over half of Thailand’s provinces still have these “local mafias” operating in them. Often in plain sight. Many have connections with the “Red Wa” especially in the South

In their own area they exercise control of all aspects of life.

Immigrant workers (in particular Burma) are a source of income ,local businesses pay dues and will need their blessing to start up in the first place. Local police are often either family or in their pay. They can often control prostitution, drug trafficking, illegal gambling and other legal enterprises. Their influence extends into local politics often being represented on local authorities and even can affect elections in the area.

Obviously they will use violence to protect their position especially if they feel they have lost face and they will also protect their own interests and members..

If they feel they have to protect the reputation of a family member then they are in a good position to do so as they care quite capable of influencing any official investigation.

Most of the heads of these families are outwardly very popular people with high visibility, but they are not to be crossed.

Paradise has a dark side

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kwilco said:

so you already know?...and you'd know wht sharing experiences is not something I'd want to do - but by all means go ahead.

14 hours ago, kwilco said:

I find it a repeated source of puzzlement when people who claim to have lived for any length of time seem so unaware of many of the basic facets of Thai life and culture

Almost all of Thailand’s islands were sparsely inhabited until the tourists came along.

The inhabitants were largely fishermen and farming families – the land wasn’t surveyed it was basically squatted.

Within the space of a few years many of these people found that they were occupying very valuable land – hotel resorts bars anything to do with tourism. Some also managed to take over a lot of extra land.

Thailand’s tourist areas were largely subject to untrammelled development and it was all pretty lawless – see the lack of infrastructure.

As there was no real official law, the families used their own “influence to protect their newfound wealth – some legitimate and some not so. Nowadays, they usually have legal businesses as their front.

The model for this exists in most Thai provinces – it’s “Chao Pho” – it translates as “godfather” and also refers to the organisation under them.

It’s a characteristic of the Thai “mafia” that it is very fractured and localised.

Its estimated that over half of Thailand’s provinces still have these “local mafias” operating in them. Often in plain sight. Many have connections with the “Red Wa” especially in the South

In their own area they exercise control of all aspects of life.

Immigrant workers (in particular Burma) are a source of income ,local businesses pay dues and will need their blessing to start up in the first place. Local police are often either family or in their pay. They can often control prostitution, drug trafficking, illegal gambling and other legal enterprises. Their influence extends into local politics often being represented on local authorities and even can affect elections in the area.

Obviously they will use violence to protect their position especially if they feel they have lost face and they will also protect their own interests and members..

If they feel they have to protect the reputation of a family member then they are in a good position to do so as they care quite capable of influencing any official investigation.

Most of the heads of these families are outwardly very popular people with high visibility, but they are not to be crossed.

Paradise has a dark side

what has any of that got to do with this topic?

41 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

what has any of that got to do with this topic?

It would seem by this facile comment that you are totally out of touch with the issues surrounding Koh Tao.

You've asked me several cryptic questions but in the end I think you are just trying to conceal your ignorance.

Edited by kwilco

9 hours ago, ryandb said:

Your 2nd paragraph answers your point, people wander off from their friends drunk all the time. There could be more to it, but it could just be drunken accident or overdose.

THat is not evidence it is pure supposition.

BTW - what was the cause of death?

Edited by kwilco

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

It would seem by this facile comment that you are totally out of touch with the issues surrounding Koh Tao.

You've asked me several cryptic questions but in the end I think you are just trying to conceal your ignorance.

i live on Tao, have been here nearly 20yrs, i think i have a lot better knowledge of the island than you, but please elaborate on how the 'islands hierarchy' works and how it's relevant  to this thread, from your 'personal experience' of course!!

Edited by frank83628

1 hour ago, frank83628 said:

i think i have a lot better knowledge of the island than you,

I'm sure you do - but everything you've posted indicates otherwise.

I think rather than sealioning you should demonstrate just an iota of comprehension and what evidence you have to the contrary.

Edited by kwilco

Didn't find the place especially dangerous and sadly tourists perish all over the kingdom. There is, however, an especially shady element on that island and you might have a different experience if you attracted the attention of the wrong type. Guess Nomsod is milling about?😐

58 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I'm sure you do - but everything you've posted indicates otherwise.

I think rather than sealioning you should demonstrate just an iota of comprehension and what evidence you have to the contrary.

who's trolling, just calling for some facts, personal experiences....you know back up what you say.