Thailand faces a decline in British tourists and expats: Causes and Consequences

webfact

1 hour ago, RobU said:

😂🤣😂🤣😂 Very good, a rambling post with no point whatsoever

either you don't understand or you can't explain your logic then....no surprise there

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

If the stupid greedy arms manufacturers don't stop sending weapons to Ukraine and Israel Pattaya will soon be uninhabitable. 

how come?

1 hour ago, BarraMarra said:

because he refers to racism in every post, that's why he is  bit like Goat he just slags off Brits.

Really, where? you realise you haven't got an argument - just baseless ad homs

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Sad, who will be English teachers?

Russians. Before you chortle in disbelief, it is a fact. One of the English language teachers at our daughters school is Russian FFS. Thankfully there is also Philipino English language teachers.

25 minutes ago, drgoon said:

Thankfully there is also Philipino English language teachers

Your child needs a better education if you're grateful that she's learning English from an ESL student. 

Edited by Bobthegimp
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, drgoon said:

The blonde with the sun glasses is perfect

You'd love my ex wife. Women built like that can tie themselves into shapes like a human pretzel. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jack West Jr said:

Instead , as mentioned by other members , they're wooing dodgy Russians, Chinese and sundry lowlifes . Go figure ! 

Any yet, it is the dodgy farangs showing up in the news. Go figure!

On a side note, a woman once told me at Eden Club that the majority of British visitors enjoy being buggered. Make of that what you will.

Edited by zakalwe
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, sambum said:

Not only are Brits avoiding Thai holidays but there have been reports of ex pat retirees leaving Thailand .

I would have thought they'd become "ex pat" only after they'd left?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, smedly said:

Thailand and Thais have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot, never look a gift horse in the mouth it might kick you and spoil your day.

They are going to try and tax money I bring into this country every year, I won't be liable for tax in thailand but its the extra hoops I'm going to have to jump through just to show that, they think trying to tax retires will earn them billions - they really haven't thought it through

The Thai never think anything through it just knee jerk after knee jerk, mumbo jumbo statement after mumbo jumbo statement...

15 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

I would have thought they'd become "ex pat" only after they'd left?

Nah

Think you would have to have been a Thai citizen,  for that to be true.

We are mostly just year long tourists on visa extensions of some sort.

could even say just long term tourists.

16 hours ago, eddie61 said:

I’m surprised that the uncertainty about tax on money brought into the country isn’t mentioned. I think this will potentially have a massive impact on the attractiveness of Thailand as a retirement place.

Does anyone know how this will work yet? I can't believe Thailand will tax income from say the UK which has already been subject to UK tax.

12 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Or visit for a holiday at this time of the year.   How many will read about the pollution & make a mental note to never visit, whatever the time of year?

Me. I had a visit planned to Chiang Mai over Songkhran but cancelled, and will probably never visit again.

32 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Does anyone know how this will work yet? I can't believe Thailand will tax income from say the UK which has already been subject to UK tax.

No

That is one of the big questions for us uk ex-pats.

I'd normally expect a detailed analysis to be supported by statistical evidence to support the case being put forward, surprise surprise nothing provided by the Pattaya Mail. A case of Mr Kenyon trolling again for clickbait for his comic of a publication.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand has been facing a decline in Western tourists for a decade now. There are a dozen good reasons why Westerners don't visit Thailand as much as they used to. I was recently in Phuket and I would estimate the population of foreigners was 40% Russian, 20% Arab, 20% Malaysian and Chinese, 15% Indian, and about 2% Westerners and a sprinkling of some others. It was a low end crowd. 

The sad truth is that Thailand is not doing anything to improve itself they are making absolutely no effort to tackle air quality environmental issues traffic congestion or any other problems plaguing the nation. It seems to be a combination of sloth lack of vision and extreme arrogance. 

You can say that as many times as you like but it will never be true. Western tourism to Thailand has risen over the last decade.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

I think the war in Ukraine has caused the whole world to have problems, it's absolutely insane for the USA to fund a war that's screwing everyone. 

Then the greedy banks are screwing everyone with high interest, supermarket's as well. 

Russians are fleeing to escape the nicknamed meat grinder, Ukraine can't recruit troops and Israel is a basket case. 

Then Thailand which I have spent the last 17 years in, off and on a bit, and where I want to stay, is making it harder for me and all expats. 

I have a Thai wife and son, I have a house in Thailand, I supported my wife's family and still support my wifes mom who is nearly 80,but it's getting harder for us to get visas, but my wife and son can stay in NZ forever and Thailand, it should be easy to stay in Thailand and look after your family and retire. 

It's a battle now, I don't know what Thailand will do but they need to take a good look at the situation. 

For those that are confused, the Ukraine proxy war has caused food prices to soar because Ukraine supplies the bulk of fertilizer and grain around the world, it has spiked food prices through the roof in NZ, also petrol prices are spiked everywhere it has caused the cost of living to go through the roof in NZ.

And it has starved many in Sri Lankans people and other countries peoples to death.

Its not our war, it s causing Ukrainians to flee and Russians to flee, many flocking to Thailand, its costing the UK Europe and USA, Australia and NZ tax payers big time, and NATO will never be allowed into Ukraine, a top pentagon official was interviewed on going underground the other day and he said the war is already lost, but the mad arms manufacturers are making billions while the world suffers.

The USA did not let Russia have missiles in Cuba and Russia does not want NATO on it's door step.

Its causing problems in Thailand as well as just about every country in the world.

A few years ago Putin told Bill Clinton Russia would join NATO, they told him to get lost, Putin offered the USA a deal to combine their nuclear arsenal together to join forces to create world peace stability, the US did not want to know about it.

That was on the Carlson interview with Putin a few weeks ago.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

For those that are confused, the Ukraine proxy war has caused food prices to soar because Ukraine supplies the bulk of fertilizer and grain around the world, it has spiked food prices through the roof in NZ, also petrol prices are spiked everywhere it has caused the cost of living to go through the roof in NZ.

And it has starved many in Sri Lankans people and other countries peoples to death.

Its not our war, it s causing Ukrainians to flee and Russians to flee, many flocking to Thailand, its costing the UK Europe and USA, Australia and NZ tax payers big time, and NATO will never be allowed into Ukraine, a top pentagon official was interviewed on going underground the other day and he said the war is already lost, but the mad arms manufacturers are making billions while the world suffers.

The USA did not let Russia have missiles in Cuba and Russia does not want NATO on it's door step.

Its causing problems in Thailand as well as just about every country in the world.

A few years ago Putin told Bill Clinton Russia would join NATO, they told him to get lost, Putin offered the USA a deal to combine their nuclear arsenal together to join forces to create world peace stability, the US did not want to know about it.

That was on the Carlson interview with Putin a few weeks ago.

Carlson, who went to the underground Moscow clean train stations akd great supermarkeds, and did not see one filty homeless? 

Christ sake, Carlsen is the last one I would use as a reference. He is the worst western Putin Propagandists. 

Ukraine is in same situation as Georgia, except Ukraine President did not roll over and accept is and Ukraine faith dictated by Moscow. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sandyf said:

Typical falang rhetoric, reality is Brits have driven themselves out by deciding to stay at home. The majority of Brits do not like foreigners unless there is some benefit involved. They wanted the sun on the Costa del Fortune and then changed the environment to suit themselves.

The benefits that attracted Brits are evaporating, in my first decade prices hardly moved but since 2010 there has been a significant upward trend in Thai wages bringing the inflation factor into play, particularly with accommodation. Inflation of course has a significant effect on every nationality in receipt of a frozen pension so not surprising the numbers are reducing. Remind me how many nationalities are on a frozen pension.

Brexit was a stark reminder on how little respect the English have for foreign nationals and Thailand trying to clarify and diversify doesn't sit well, and not just with Brits.

122 different­ nations around the world – many of them Commonwealth countries including Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa – the state pension entitlement is frozen at the point of departure. 

2 hours ago, zakalwe said:

On a side note, a woman once told me at Eden Club that the majority of British visitors enjoy being buggered. Make of that what you will

I find it a bit strange that anybody would waste time discussing at length the alleged sexual preferences  of a particular nationality in such circumstances,  maybe you are one of those creepy punters who "just wants to talk and cuddle"?      Anyway  Isn't that what the "B" stands for in LGBT etc etc  did you not know  people involved in such sexual practices are "protected" these days, criticism of which merely exposes you as a homophobic bigot.   There is no place for your sort here

15 hours ago, kwilco said:

THere is a course the problem with British imperialist based racism. THis applies to US and EU as well but the British as in "brits" and "gammons" are the worst.

Their perception of Thailand is based on an innate feeling of superiority over Thai people or ALL S.East Asians.

Sweeping generalisations: - Expressions like "they". "thais" "third world" "they hate us" "Bad drivers" "Somchai" all come from a basic distain for Thai people their customs and their culture. The response is that many Thai people politely ignore Brit expats and avoid doing any form of business with them. THen the exoats suffer from confirmation bias and so the circle continues.

Do you actually believe all the garbage that you write?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zakalwe said:

Any yet, it is the dodgy farangs showing up in the news. Go figure!

On a side note, a woman once told me at Eden Club that the majority of British visitors enjoy being buggered. Make of that what you will.

Did she say that after she'd done you?🙂

Edited by roo860