Thailand faces a decline in British tourists and expats: Causes and Consequences

webfact

On 4/20/2024 at 9:30 AM, Misty said:

So where are British going instead?

what a ridiculous question do you think the British all go on holiday together ? or that they all retire to the same place together?   Well for your information, they do not. Even of they did , why would they want to tell you ?

23 hours ago, BuddyPish said:

Yes but there are pretty valid reasons for farangs featuring more prominently in the Thai media. 
So many behave like absolute scum.
Beating up women, sexually assaulting their pupils, dealing drugs, assaulting policemen and even sexually assaulting a HORSE . . . . .  

All common occurrences generally perpetrated by the indigenous population,  so why not?  when in Rome and all that  

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, kwilco said:

Despite what some say about targeting "quality" tourists, Thailand is actively pursuing a policy of the lowest common denominator -

More elderly sex tourists?

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Who are probably the best behaved of all who visit here, and conspicuously  under represented  in all the recent negative news reports.

Have you never had sex in Thailand?  Do you have a problem with elderly people having consensual  sex?

Who are probably the worst behaved here and over represented in all the negative news reports. 

The elderly sex tourists have to buy their consent. From drug addicted/in debt under educated young girls from Issan, the poorest region of Thailand.

It is pretty ugly. I think you are confused what is and is not a quality tourist.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, transam said:

Maybe Aussies don't come here for holidays, looking for cheap sex, as you have for over 40 years, eh...... 😂

Perhaps they holiday in Bali, etc.......😉

Cheap sex? 

I go for free sex, like most normal people.

The Brits do have the biggest brothel/ pimp operation in Pattaya going though. I would be happy to see the back of them.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, saintdomingo said:
23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

...and chock-full of more dodgy lowlifes than the bottom-end of Sukhumvit.

I had a few drinks in Chequers the other day, didn't notice any dodgy lowlifes.

My point exactly. They've (almost) all gone to Cambodia already.

PS. Soi Buakhao in Pattaya is their staging post for the great migration.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, pub2022 said:

Are you saying that the Russian, who I bet are more blond, taller and blue-eyed than you, aren't Westerners?

Good point. OK, I stand corrected. Non Russian Westerners! 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Goat said:

Cheap sex? 

I go for free sex, like most normal people.

The Brits do have the biggest brothel/ pimp operation in Pattaya going though. I would be happy to see the back of them.

Good morning Goaty, I wonder what ant-Brit tripe you have for us today........😂

I am sure you will have a link, or names for that observation, Goaty.....🤭

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Good morning Goaty, I wonder what ant-Brit tripe you have for us today........😂

I am sure you will have a link, or names for that observation, Goaty.....🤭

What is that little faded tattoo on your arm of?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Goat said:

What is that little faded tattoo on your arm of?

Which one....?   🤭

Now Goaty, I know Dan is out of your reach, but me, Oooooh, no, you stick to your gay bars...............😧..........😝

• Haha 2

Just now, transam said:

Which one....?   🤭

Now Goaty, I know Dan is out of your reach, but me, Oooooh, no, you stick to your gay bars...............😧..........😝

The little faded one tough guy.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

I think the war in Ukraine has caused the whole world to have problems, it's absolutely insane for the USA to fund a war that's screwing everyone. 

Then the greedy banks are screwing everyone with high interest, supermarket's as well. 

Russians are fleeing to escape the nicknamed meat grinder, Ukraine can't recruit troops and Israel is a basket case. 

Then Thailand which I have spent the last 17 years in, off and on a bit, and where I want to stay, is making it harder for me and all expats. 

I have a Thai wife and son, I have a house in Thailand, I supported my wife's family and still support my wifes mom who is nearly 80,but it's getting harder for us to get visas, but my wife and son can stay in NZ forever and Thailand, it should be easy to stay in Thailand and look after your family and retire. 

It's a battle now, I don't know what Thailand will do but they need to take a good look at the situation. 

Exactly. Perhaps ex-pats should be given a bit more credit, in this formula? We do bring in alot of stable income.  Even the rural folks benefit. Alot of the nicer houses in the poorer farming areas were built with money from expats. Alot of trucks, cars and income is from expats. Countless businesses, employing many. To say it is insignificant, is a blatant misunderstanding of Thai economics. Thousands of hotels, restaurants, countless airlines and many tour companies, also benefit.

By comparison, an average ex-pat spends how much per month? I would say alot of us spend 50,000 to upwards of 100,000 baht a month. I know I do. No value in that? I know some live on less. However, since the average GDP of the nation is around $570, that means about 20,000 baht a month?

I think xenophobia is utterly rampant, in all segments of the government here, from the feds right on down to the local amphur. However, I do not think most Thai people are that way. I think most either like us, or are indifferent to us. Which I can handle. 

I think ex-pats should be treated with the kind of respect and acknowledgement we deserve.

If there was decency abs wisdom within the govt. they should say we have decided to change our policies, and we now realize how much you guys bring to the table.

An immigration officer will now come to your home to renew your visa, to show our appreciation, of your continued support. You will only be required to sign one form, and we will give you a five year, multiple entry visa. Free of charge.

And we will include a 10,000 baht voucher, good for any hotel in the country, for one year. 

Princely treatment. Thank you so much for helping to rescue our economy and our people. We appreciate it, and aim to show it for a change! We are past the era of thugs like the big joke.

And we apologize for all of his abuse. We realize we have been moving the country backwards. 

And Covid has given us all some time to reflect.

We are going to start changing things, and attempt to move the nation forward, instead of backwards.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/20/2024 at 9:39 AM, Northstar1 said:

The way they act, most get turfed back home or go to jail! Great news!

I thought this topic was about the British.

On 4/20/2024 at 10:03 AM, ikke1959 said:

i think it is not occasional but the normal procedure for all tourists and expats and are surely widespread..Thailand can pretend they don't know and put their head in the sand, but the damage is done already.. Overpricing, scamming, too many strange rules like alcohol sales hours and bans, no vaping, double pricing and standards for example helmet wearing and many more. Sadly but I wrote many times already Thailand has no clue what tourists want..and as long as they think they are the best with the conservative attitude the declining of tourists and expats will continue

It may improve if the country can just get away from this military influence that lies within the government, there was none of this nonsense around 2005 when I first came here, all the Farangs I met and knew were all happy. Today some have died and no other new Farangs have arrived, or else they have  moved back to their own countries or some other Asian country.

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

It may improve if the country can just get away from this military influence that lies within the government, there was none of this nonsense around 2005 when I first came here, all the Farangs I met and knew were all happy. Today some have died and no other new Farangs have arrived, or else they have  moved back to their own countries or some other Asian country.

Many moved to Cambodia, including 3 of my old friends.  It's cheaper there than Thailand, which ain't as cheap as it used to be.

I first visited Thailand in 1985, and lived there from 1998-2018.

Also in the last 10+ years Thailand has started tightening-up their visa rules. up until around 2010 it was very lax in that regard, an old American friend had a passport that was almost half-full of overstay stamps!☺️

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, kinyara said:

You can say that as many times as you like but it will never be true. Western tourism to Thailand has risen over the last decade.

Well kinyara the brits are not coming like they used to be so there down in numbers hence the thread topic we are discussing now.

3 hours ago, Goat said:

More elderly sex tourists?

Just cheap hotels etc. Package holidays the lower end of the market.

It looks like the sex industry in Pattaya has burgeoning in the last year....I'd say on the back of increased Russian tourists.

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

122 different­ nations around the world – many of them Commonwealth countries including Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa – the state pension entitlement is frozen at the point of departure. 

Obviously you have a problem seeing the difference between apples and oranges.

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Many moved to Cambodia, including 3 of my old friends.  It's cheaper there than Thailand, which ain't as cheap as it used to be.

I first visited Thailand in 1985, and lived there from 1998-2018.

Also in the last 10+ years Thailand has started tightening-up their visa rules. up until around 2010 it was very lax in that regard, an old American friend had a passport that was almost half-full of overstay stamps!☺️

I don't think it is cheaper than Thailand, expats go there because they don't have the financial requirements to obtain a visa.

They pay for a visa once a year and that is all. No reporting every 90 days etc and no money in the bank, however, those are the only advantages in my view.

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

Just cheap hotels etc. Package holidays the lower end of the market.

It looks like the sex industry in Pattaya has burgeoning in the last year....I'd say on the back of increased Russian tourists.

Years ago when I was in Pattaya at the beginning of the influx of Russians, when most of them who visited were very wealthy, the Russians had no interest in bar girls or the sex industry.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

My point exactly. They've (almost) all gone to Cambodia already.

PS. Soi Buakhao in Pattaya is their staging post for the great migration.

I've seen plenty of the stereotypical beer monsters and scruffy lowlifes in Phnom Penn and Siem Reap.

Many follow the happy hours around mid-afternoon.

In Siem Reap, a lot hang out at the cheaper end of town for cheap accommodation, food and drink such as Sok San Road.