How do you define intelligence ?

18 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

It's better to be interesting than smart. Anyone can fall off a log and be smart.

here we touch on differing understanding of "smart" book smart, street smart but then the question was on intelligence. Different words thus different spellings and definitions although I do understand, in general use and understanding ...

As close as my understanding.

"Intelligence can be defined as a general mental ability for reasoning, problem solving, and learning. Because of its general nature, intelligence integrates cognitive functions such as perception, attention, memory, language, or planning." - JohnHopkins Medicine 

18 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I think of it as the cognitive machinery which converts an input of questions/problems/issues into an output of answers/solutions/actions.

The quality of the machinery is measured by the success of the outputs.

One of the characteristics of the process is its abstraction ie the capacity to think of practical problems in abstract ways. This allows you to manipulate the problem, approaching it from different angles and trying out different possible solutions - all done inside your head.

How that turns into proclamations like 'The average IQ of Americans is 102.3' is beyond my machinery's capacity to understand.

There you go ... taking my mind off to reflect on the potential for AI. much more capable than many humans are capable of dealing with ...

18 hours ago, TheFatOne said:

Ain't the two kinda linked ?...

I'm thinking we have witnessed many interesting folks in history who, in the end proved none too smart ... or am I wrong (in the voice of John Goodman in, "The Big Lebowski").

3 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

There you go ... taking my mind off to reflect on the potential for AI. much more capable than many humans are capable of dealing with ...

Yes. My description works equally well for AI. But the AI people know that already (yawn).

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, gargamon said:

There's an inverse relationship between a man's IQ and the breast size he prefers.

I, of course, prefer small breasts. And detest any fake ones.

Well said.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Its ability to think for yourself.

take Biden supporters for example. Zero intelligence. Anyone who can support that is obviously not capable of thinking on their own terms. All they do is ingest what others spoon feed them. That’s lack of intelligence 

Why do people like you always bring your Trump supporting into a thread, perhaps stop worrying that he will be put out to graze........:coffee1:

On 4/27/2024 at 2:31 AM, Prubangboy said:

It's better to be interesting than smart. Anyone can fall off a log and be smart.

Agree. I'll take someone that is interesting and sees more in life than spouting BS in the pub over someone who has a degree but is boring and a sheeple. The intelligent people in my life also know BS when they see it, so are not sucked in by such silliness as man made climate change, multiple genders or PC, etc.

• Love It 1

On 4/27/2024 at 10:58 AM, gargamon said:

There's an inverse relationship between a man's IQ and the breast size he prefers.

I, of course, prefer small breasts. And detest any fake ones.

I've always understood that a female's intelligence was in inverse proportion to her breast size. Perhaps that's why so many men like women with huge bras.

On 4/27/2024 at 4:22 AM, Sigmund said:

Intelligence ?

It can be defined in the guy who can chat up 3 different fine young ladies at the supermarket by the groceries section at Tesco Lotus and convince each one to end up in a wild pool party 4-some the same evening..... and the most important...to have all the excuses ready the next day to have them leave after of course  they make him breakfast 🤣...such a fella would definately be our hero. 😅

He's not intelligent, but the women are just really really dumb. A rock might be smarter than them.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He's not intelligent, but the women are just really really dumb. A rock might be smarter than them.

What does that say about you?

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe think in terms of frequency, energy, and vibration."  Nikola Tesa

By adjusting the frequency of your vibration you can achieve any objective you desire.

Your emotions and mental states vibrate along a spectrum of frequencies which you can control if you want.

Accessing this all powerful force is intelligence.

55 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

'll take someone that is interesting and sees more in life than spouting BS in the pub over someone who has a degree but is boring and a sheeple. 

A good example of this is my wife's daughter.

She's very uneducated (by choice), BUT she can reliably think up a pretty funny joke, on the spot, that's directly applicable to the situation at hand. 

That is a kind of intelligence: she can survey and analyze what's in front of her and create an unique -and usually somewhat useful- response, and do so quickly.

If ONLY she would go into sales.

As to the rest of your post, I think of people pretending to worry about multiple genders and wokeness as a kind of leaning into a sheeple inclination.

My take: since this stuff has never encroached on my life one iota, and never will, worrying about it is neurotic. And neurosis is a stumbling block to directly knowing the world.

• Like 1

Yo, peeps be hypin' up them high IQs like they the holy grail or somethin'. But real talk, if you all brainy, how come you still strugglin' with them bills? Ain't about how smart you are, it's about how you hustle and grind in the real world, ya feel me?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2024 at 11:14 PM, Keep Right said:

OK, I have a definition. Anyone that you see on a motorbike in Thailand is not intelligent, rather stupid in many ways. Therefore, if you do not ride a motorbike in Thailand, you are intelligent. Hows that for a definition.

how  about if you buy one but never use it?

On 4/27/2024 at 5:29 AM, Robert Paulson said:

Its ability to think for yourself.

take Biden supporters for example. Zero intelligence. Anyone who can support that is obviously not capable of thinking on their own terms. All they do is ingest what others spoon feed them. That’s lack of intelligence 

I sure hope you are not inferring that Trump supporters can think for themselves!  Americans seem to have lost that concept when it come to voting... and whoever chooses the candidates for the last 40 years in my opinion but I can honestly say I have never voted Democrat nor did I vote for Trump and I will not vote for any current candidates for either party...maybe the country should go to the likes of those countries putting up 10 or more candidates and start narrowing them down...but then again honest, patriotic, not favored by the big $$$$ contributors.  OVer the cliff, down the drain seems to be the only option this year again!!!

• Like 1

What is the point of lots of people, most without specialty knowledge, to define intelligence?

I prefer to look how experts defined it. Because then, when we talk about intelligence, we all talk about the same thing and not about different things which we individually decided to call intelligence.

Intelligence - Wikipedia

And obviously more intelligent people are not by definition better people. They are more intelligent, maybe in only some areas. And that's it.

On 4/27/2024 at 1:05 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Whether you watch fox news or not

Believed mexico would pay for the wall

Think an election was rigged...without evidence

But then, if you want to get the vote from the majority of Americans, you have to aim low...

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2024 at 12:19 PM, daveAustin said:

This one is guaranteed to draw the geniuses out the woodwork, all of which likely have an irrelevant IQ of 150+ and yet no-one can come up with the simple answer...

... to not start stoopid topics 😛

No, people like that don't waste their time defining again what was already defined and arguing about it with average people. 

46 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

She's very uneducated

Education and intelligence are almost independent.

Ok, you can't be highly educated and very stupid, but that is about the only exception. 

• Confused 1