Cheese

Maybole

I like a strong cheese. Mature Cheddar or stronger. I used to buy mine from Greens Food and Drink opposite Kad Farang, but they have been out of stock for months and are now closing.

Tops used to have "Seriously Strong" in small amounts at a high price but no longer stock it. Makro, Rimping and the other supermarkets have Dutch or Italian cheeses which are too mild for my taste or that processed excuse for a cheese from USA or Australia.

Has anybody in Chiang mai area seen a decent cheese for sale recently?

Have you looked at Makro? Here in Surin they have Mainland Vintage Cheddar (Australian) at 279THB for 470g.

https://www.makro.pro/en/p/58gf840-7196426928323?info=JTdCJTIyaXNTZWFyY2hQYWdlJTIyJTNBdHJ1ZSUyQyUyMmluZGV4Q2xpY2tlZCUyMiUzQTglMkMlMjJxdWVyeSUyMiUzQSUyMmNoZWVzZSUyMiU3RA

I love a bit of mature Cheddar, but Vintage is a bit strong for me. I go for the "Tasty" variety - same price ... 

https://www.makro.pro/en/c/search?q=cheese

That's a pretty good price for a decent cheese IMO.

• Agree 1

Rimping Meechok have a selection of Mainland Cheddar cheeses ranging from a mild young Cheddar to a Tasty and on occasions a Vintage. Stock varies but there is always at least two ages from which to choose. 

6 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Have you looked at Makro? Here in Surin they have Mainland Vintage Cheddar (Australian) at 279THB for 470g.

https://www.makro.pro/en/p/58gf840-7196426928323?info=JTdCJTIyaXNTZWFyY2hQYWdlJTIyJTNBdHJ1ZSUyQyUyMmluZGV4Q2xpY2tlZCUyMiUzQTglMkMlMjJxdWVyeSUyMiUzQSUyMmNoZWVzZSUyMiU3RA

I love a bit of mature Cheddar, but Vintage is a bit strong for me. I go for the "Tasty" variety - same price ... 

https://www.makro.pro/en/c/search?q=cheese

That's a pretty good price for a decent cheese IMO.

Agreed.  I buy the same Australian cheddar as it's the only one I've found that has come close to the extra strong English cheddar I buy in the UK.

There was already a recent thread on this subject here.

I am not an expert on cheddar, but Go Wholesale sells a locally made one which includes a 24 mo. old "vintage" variety which seems a good buy for the price.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

There was already a recent thread on this subject here.

I am not an expert on cheddar, but Go Wholesale sells a locally made one which includes a 24 mo. old "vintage" variety which seems a good buy for the price.

Yes this was covered before and not that long ago. 

Most bloggers mentioned that NZ Mainland is a good cheddar cheese.  With the vintage having the best 'bite'.  Available at most Makro outlets. 

Anchor make a 2kg block but it's a lot milder than the Mainland Vintage. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love very strong cheddar cheese and used to buy the Epicure version of, I think it was Mainland Cheese, at Rimping Markets. However, a small chunk (200g ?) cost over 200 baht. The Gecko Garden on Sridonchai Road near Pantip Plaza  has several excellent cheeses for sale as well as real butter (from New Zealand I think), and coldcuts at very attractive prices. They have a crumbly English cheddar, very sharp and very tasty, for about 400 baht per kilo. They sell gouda and feta cheese also.

I had eaten there once in while over the years but since I learned they also sell cheese and butter, I always buy those items there.