British tourist arrested with cocaine hidden in passport

webfact

He should claim someone framed him. He could say nobody would be stupid enough to put cocaine in their own passport. Credible. Might work! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I do not believe he was that stupid to hide it in his passport as he also had to clear immigration back home.

Sadly appears he was stupid enough to bring it over or forget empty out bag or shirt before travelling 

do not think he will get jailed for 20 years but will do at least 6 months 

Crossing borders with drugs is asking for trouble. Everyone knows that and he did it anyway. Handing the stuff to a government official was beyond stupid. What would a UK immigration officer do in this situation? It is not limey bashing, it is law enforcement.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Possibly ruined his life for what?

What a total tool.

IQ of about 70 maybe. He's not a young guy either, when he gets out he'll be in rough shape. Chances are he's already seen the inside of a jail in his home country, and chances are he's an addict, in which case IQ doesn't matter.. If he's an addict he deserves a modicum of sympathy. Addicts have no control over their addiction, just ask any smoker/nicotine addict who has tried to quit. My brother died of his addictions, at least jail would have kept him alive. This guy should be glad it isn't Russia and facing the gulags.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, khunpin said:

In his passport? 

Obviously he already failed to graduate from Kindergarden. 🤦🏼‍♂️

We don't graduate in the UK, we are put in a primary school, and then a secondary school, the class you are put in depends on one's ability, in this case, I reckon it was a continuous class "C"..........🤭

• Like 1

IQ of about 70 maybe. He's not a young guy either, when he gets out he'll be in rough shape. Maybe he'll get lucky and get deported. Chances are he's already seen the inside of a jail in his home country, and chances are he's an addict, in which case IQ doesn't matter.. If he's an addict he deserves a modicum of sympathy. Addicts have no control over their addiction, just ask any smoker/nicotine addict who has tried to quit. My brother died of his addictions, at least jail would have kept him alive. This guy should be glad it isn't Russia and facing the gulags.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, rwill said:

He probably did not put in his passport on purpose.  More likely he put his passport back where the sachet was in his bag and it slipped between the pages without him knowing it.

Good chance of that. 

Just now, Jonathan Swift said:

IQ of about 70 maybe. He's not a young guy either, when he gets out he'll be in rough shape. Maybe he'll get lucky and get deported. Chances are he's already seen the inside of a jail in his home country, and chances are he's an addict, in which case IQ doesn't matter.. If he's an addict he deserves a modicum of sympathy. Addicts have no control over their addiction, just ask any smoker/nicotine addict who has tried to quit. My brother died of his addictions, at least jail would have kept him alive. This guy should be glad it isn't Russia and facing the gulags.

Lot of guesswork there.........🤗

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

29-year-old Jamie Louis Swain from Enfield, North London, could face up to twenty years in a Thai prison after reportedly being caught with cocaine hidden in his passport. Swain was arrested at Phuket International Airport on his arrival from an Etihad Airways flight on Thursday night. 

An immigration officer discovered a small plastic bag filled with white powder in Swain’s passport during routine checks for visa stamping. Authorities confirmed the substance was 0.42 grams of cocaine. Swain's questionable reaction to the discovery led to a further search of his luggage.

Swain was charged with importing and possessing category II narcotics, namely cocaine, a violation of Thailand's Narcotics Act. This crime could lead to a maximum sentence of 20 years to life in jail, along with a fine between 2,000,000 – 5,000,000 Baht (£43,000 to £108,000).

In addition to this, cocaine possession is punishable with up to five years or up to a 100,000 Baht (£2,000) fine in Thailand. Swain's case has been turned over to Sakhu Police Station for further legal action.

Picture courtesy of Thai Examiner

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-04

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Makes me wonder if he had any disagreements at home, and someone slipped it in, as that's kinda stupid.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Makes me wonder if he had any disagreements at home, and someone slipped it in, as that's kinda stupid.

Would have got stopped in the UK......😉

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

That sounds like a stretch... probably just could not do without this drug for the entire vacation and had it on him...  maybe he slipped it in his passport so he would be easily able to find it and forgot to take it out before handing his passport, or maybe he does not carry his important documents in their own compartment and it slipped in... either way... it is a life altering mistake...   If all he had was for his own use and not for distribution, I hope he gets help and some leniency (and of course a standard blacklisting - which in his case would be a positive). Also hoping UK has an agreement to repatriate after a portion of his sentence is served to serve out remainder in UK prison.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

He must be a leading candidate for the Darwinism of the Year Award - handing cocaine to an immigration officer. That really takes a very special kind of stupid. But he certainly looks the part.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

how many times was his passport checked during his commute, he must be 10 cards short of a full deck or there is some other more sinister explanation for this, Phuket is not a place I would want to visit right now considering the seemingly active effort to by law enforcement to pick on farangs right now, I'd be giving it a very wide birth right now, who puts a small bag of illegal drugs in the pages of their passport and then hands it to immigration police at an airport ....................... think about it - seriously

It's possible that the sachet of coke slipped between the pages of his passport when he put the passport in his pocket.

3 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

It's possible that the sachet of coke slipped between the pages of his passport when he put the passport in his pocket.

But it shouldn't have been in his pocket, the bloke is a fool...........🙄

• Agree 2

I tell all my friends visiting Thailand to ensure they have no cannabis on them when leaving the country, especially if travelling on to Malaysia or Singapore where the sniffer dogs at customs will sniff out even a few grains on clothing or or in a bag.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Possibly ruined his life for what?

What a total tool.

I would say he is as dumb as catsh#t.He probably told the Immigration officer to be careful not to let his dope fall out as he handed his passport over.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, transam said:

Would have got stopped in the UK......😉

Passport isn’t checked in any detail in the UK, just show the ID page at security.

Or the Checkin staff looking for a passport.

I agree with the idea that it slipped into the pages when he put it in his pocket or a pouch in his carry on. 

As everyone else is commenting- this is obviously a remarkably daft thing to do. 

Edited by richard_smith237