Thai EV Market Remains Unfazed by European Sales Downturn

webfact

Had to look myself, as the EV blokes were cornered. EV insurance is more expensive, and for sure you must buy class.1, to cover everything, as a battery pack with any damage must go....😱

Though not LOS, it seems 20/25% extra, though you can get that back on our lower fuel costs.........😋

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Well for a start I own an EV bike and a Hybrid Camry so let's put that to bed.  

My sister in law has a full EV car. She likes to do trips up to and around Chiang Mai, Pai, Mae Hong son etc. Keeps moaning about having to plan her routes around the charging stations and then having to wait when she gets there. She was joking she's never drunk so much Inthanin coffee as she does waiting around at these stations. We suggested she buy shares in them. 

Depends on the market. In the UK (where I was referring to the green strip virtue signalling) they are not cheaper. 

A very specific circumstance. Most people do not have solar panels and many do not even have somewhere to install a normal charger. My tractor is great for my farm, I wouldn't recommend my colleagues buy one for the Bangkok commute. Different circumstances, different use. 

Insurance and depreciation are far more significant expenses than servicing and road tax. 20% harder on tyres etc.  

What sort of battery chemistry does your e-bike have? Does it also have a BMS? As for a Camry Hybrid being comparable to an EV, you really don’t have a clue, do you?

If your sister in law does frequent long distance trips, then she made a poor error in judgment buying an EV. It has been repeatedly stated that an EV is not suitable for someone that makes frequent long distance trips. Surely she wasn’t virtue signalling I hope.

Many people who owns EVs do not have solar panels. You don’t need solar panels to charge an EV. It has also been stated repeatedly (obviously you haven’t been following the threads) that if you can’t charge at home (and that includes being able to install a wall charger), then an EV might not be suitable, depending on your transportation needs. It’s common sense really. If I don’t have somewhere to park a car, any car, then I really shouldn’t buy a car, should I? If I live in a condo that doesn’t allow pets, I shouldn’t own any pets, should I? If I have a Mia Noi and my wife will kill me if she finds out, then I shouldn’t have a Mia Noi, should I?

It’s amazing how common sense seems to be lacking in so many people (not you of course. You own a bike, a hybrid and a tractor).

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Well it's currently 5 times cheaper to charge at home than fill with petrol/diesel, so I think it's going to be some time before we see a 600% electric price hike.

EV owners really seem to struggle with precentage calculations. 

From a 40 baht tax hike that mysterious became 500% in Surin and now a 5x price difference that suddenly need a whopping 600% increase to match petrol ️. 400% would have done ✔️ just fine 🙂..

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

If I have a Mia Noi and my wife will kill me if she finds out, then I shouldn’t have a Mia Noi, should I?

That is debatable, but is she buy and start raising ducks 🦆 🪿 🦆 , then it is time to zip up and eat at home 🏡

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I was testing you, needless to say you bit !

As a responsible member of the global FactCheck force I had to step in and highlight such a serious offense of the truth. 

We had a member that graduated 🎓 from kindergarten recently, maybe we can set up an online class so he can teach you guys precentage calculations. 

Was it the guy with the microwave radiation claim?

By the time you are done, we will all be able to discuss quantum mechanic entanglement. 

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Thumbs Up 2

Let me correct your post, if I may.

Some EV manufacturers in China are in serious crisis and may not survive. Try selling khao neaw moo ping next to a popular moogata restaurant and see how much you can sell.

The global manufacturers shutting up shop in China are the legacy ICEV manufacturers. The demand for ICEVs in China are falling like a rock. As these legacy automakers are incapable of manufacturing a decent quality EV, their business case is drying up.

Let me correct your post, if I may.

Some EV manufacturers in China are in serious crisis and may not survive. Try selling khao neaw moo ping next to a popular moogata restaurant and see how much you can sell.

The global manufacturers shutting up shop in China are the legacy ICEV manufacturers. The demand for ICEVs in China are falling like a rock. As these legacy automakers are incapable of manufacturing a decent quality EV, their business case is drying up.

No need to correct my post as it stands it is correct there will be less EV manufacturer's in China by 2030 for the reasons stated in the article  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

You are boring. No one’s telling you to like or buy EVs. You don’t like China either. Don’t buy any Chinese made products then. No one is going to lose sleep over that.

Didn't say I don't like China but I do hate the CCP. Xi is an authoritarian monster. As for not buying Chinese I sure try not to and as for boring well I guess people who are EV zealots could be seen as particularly boring. As for buying an EV there's little point. Car gets around 50 mpg more or less. There is one thing that's impresive about EV's and that's how quick they are off the mark. Our car is a snail in comparison but on a good day if the missus is feeling fit it's not too bad.

รูปภาพWoman Pushing Car ...

Edited by dinsdale

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Nonsense. 

If someone is going to make a statement like that, then they have to show their data, where is it?

It has to be nonsense because with the exception of the famously faulty Nissan Leaf, there are no other EV's at 5 years old other than grey imports, and the data say the grey imports held their values very well.

MG ZS EV 2019 was launched June 2019 

As for Grey imports holding there values 

Look at Tesla model Y Grey import no warranty price when imported  B3,300,000

Tesla model Y new purchased from Tesla Thailand with warranty  prices start from B1,699,000 that is a whopping price difference of B1,601,000 or nearly the equivalent of buying 2 official model Y's or 1 model Y and a top of the range Byd Seal

More than 500 Tesla cars in Thailand were imported without any warranty or support, and owners have been left without navigation, maps, and updates for their cars.

It’s particularly galling for these early adopters because if they had waited for Tesla to officially launch in Thailand, they could have saved up to 50% on the price of their cars. Instead, they paid a premium of between $100,000 to $150,000 (3.3 to 4.5 million baht) to purchase their Tesla Model 3s and Model Ys through the grey market.

https://blink-drive.com/index.php/2023/02/15/tesla-thailand-time-to-support-your-early-adopters/

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

No need to correct my post as it stands it is correct there will be less EV manufacturer's in China by 2030 for the reasons stated in the article  

This,is what you wrote:

EVs in China are in serious crisis, price wars rage, cars aren't selling, 

Price wars rage, that’s true. But EVs in China are in crisis? Cars aren’t selling? I believe these two statements to be blatantly false.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Didn't say I don't like China but I do hate the CCP. Xi is an authoritarian monster. As for not buying Chinese I sure try not to and as for boring well I guess people who are EV zealots could be seen as particularly boring. As for buying an EV there's little point. Car gets around 50 mpg more or less. There is one thing that's impresive about EV's and that's how quick they are off the mark. Our car is a snail in comparison but on a good day if the missus is feeling fit it's not too bad.

รูปภาพWoman Pushing Car ...

Let me guess. You are from the AUS (American United States). I’ve noticed that AUS folks often refer to a non-existent organisation in China, the CCP. Guess they’re not educated enough to realise that the proper acronym is CPC. Or they are just bad in spelling. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

EV sale plummeting all over EU,, very poor penetration in USA   , and today Triumph, and Piaggio group  ( Apprillia,  Guzzi  etc )  announce they are  joining  the HYSE   ICE  consortium to produce Hydrogen ICE engine  motorcycles alongside  All the other   manufactures in the consortium Includes almost  major jap manufacturers  of motorcycle  and cars

Koreans , GM, Ford, VW  and others

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Let me guess. You are from the AUS (American United States). I’ve noticed that AUS folks often refer to a non-existent organisation in China, the CCP. Guess they’re not educated enough to realise that the proper acronym is CPC. Or they are just bad in spelling. 

Pitiful.

This,is what you wrote:

EVs in China are in serious crisis, price wars rage, cars aren't selling, 

Price wars rage, that’s true. But EVs in China are in crisis? Cars aren’t selling? I believe these two statements to be blatantly false.

If you believe those two statements are blatantly false then you need to provide evidence in the form of a link to support your claims 

6 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

What’s it to you even if this turns out to be true? Some people are affluent enough to not worry about small matters like depreciation or repair costs or insurance.

... or that the damaged/degraded battery has transformed their EV into a ticking time bomb.

• Confused 2

On 5/9/2024 at 11:21 AM, Bandersnatch said:

I own a BYD Seal Performance and for the money it’s the best car I’ve ever driven.

How many km have you put on it?

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Either is correct....one is the official name and the other the commonly called name.

image.png.45f45a3b302105e87287424ab27da47d.png

image.png.83e19f6d7f85f0cc243b8e60e8ab15e0.png

h

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

What sort of battery chemistry does your e-bike have? Does it also have a BMS? As for a Camry Hybrid being comparable to an EV, you really don’t have a clue, do you?

If your sister in law does frequent long distance trips, then she made a poor error in judgment buying an EV. It has been repeatedly stated that an EV is not suitable for someone that makes frequent long distance trips. Surely she wasn’t virtue signalling I hope.

Many people who owns EVs do not have solar panels. You don’t need solar panels to charge an EV. It has also been stated repeatedly (obviously you haven’t been following the threads) that if you can’t charge at home (and that includes being able to install a wall charger), then an EV might not be suitable, depending on your transportation needs. It’s common sense really. If I don’t have somewhere to park a car, any car, then I really shouldn’t buy a car, should I? If I live in a condo that doesn’t allow pets, I shouldn’t own any pets, should I? If I have a Mia Noi and my wife will kill me if she finds out, then I shouldn’t have a Mia Noi, should I?

It’s amazing how common sense seems to be lacking in so many people (not you of course. You own a bike, a hybrid and a tractor).

A poor post by your standards. 

Seems a lot of cases that make EV unsuitable. Why would I buy a car that is unsuitable for long trips? Or a car that I cannot charge when at my bangkok condo? 

Unknown long term reliability. Unknown long term support. And you are really comparing a top model Camry to a BYD Seal? 

It seems you need a very specific set of circumstances for EV to make sense and even then you are driving something that sounds like a hoover. 

I also don't fancy a load of lithium in a device manufactured to a tight budget in China on my driveway. Like having a firework factory in the basement. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Fortunately not. 

Its a bike, not a scooter (as in an electric  mountain bike).

To be honest, I don't like having the battery in my condo for charging, makes me nervous. 

I'm thinking of taking it to the farm and keeping it in the outside toilet that i built for the workers. I don't do many long journeys there and I have a lake to put out any fires so it almost makes sense in that very specific environment 😅

Edited by JonnyF

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

So the MG ZS EV has "NEARLY" been on the market 5 years, there is NO evidence that it has a poor resale value, in fact it has a stunning resale value, the average price of a used 2019 car on One2Car is just over 475,000 baht which is about 50% more than the top 1.5 X+ model sold in the same year.

We can't compare Tesla grey imports with what happens when Tesla started selling them here, the same thing would have happened with an ICE equivalent.

Go ahead and buy your Hydrogen car?  where will you fill it up?  Are you happy paying 5 times more for Hydrogen than you would filling an EV at home?

5x is the number if there is no profit/tax involved, it's highly likely to be 10 to 20 times more as in California currently.

Not true, people making statements have to provide the evidence, anyone can call BS

Cheapest 2019 MG ZS EV is on one2car for B455,000  launch price in June 2019 was 1,190,000 baht which shows a yearly  depreciation value of 18% of new cost over 5 years   but as everyone knows that is the dealer opening offer no one in their right mind pays a used car dealer sticker price 

There was a major tent with multiple showrooms all over the country that recently shutdown  and they were selling cars at cost price and in some cases below cost to try and generate money into their business 

https://brandinside.asia/car24-layoff-2024/

It was yourself that posted "and the data say the grey imports held their values very well."

should have call out that statement as pure BS as that statement doesn't apply to Tesla grey imports

If you have issues with this article and you believe that what they have written in the article is

blatantly false then you should contact the author of the article

https://techsauce.co/authors/techsauce-team

https://techsauce.co/tech-and-biz/china-ev-crisis-to-eliminate-car-manufacture?

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Fortunately not. 

Its a bike, not a scooter (as in an electric  mountain bike).

To be honest, I don't like having the battery in my condo for charging, makes me nervous. 

I'm thinking of taking it to the farm and keeping it in the outside toilet that i built for the workers. I don't do many long journeys there and I have a lake to put out any fires so it almost makes sense in that very specific environment 😅

Here is a training video for next time you charge your bike at home.

• Haha 1