What is the difference between 95 and 97 petrol?

2 minutes ago, stoner said:

What is the difference between 95 and 97 petrol?........i would guess its around 2 octane. 

Bit Vague . Exactly 2 or 2.001 plus or minus ?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I simply did put your question in https://chatgpt.com

and preceded it with "In Thailand..,"

Here the response:

> In Thailand, the difference between 95 and 97 petrol primarily lies in their octane ratings. Octane rating refers to the fuel's ability to resist knocking or pinging during combustion. Generally, higher octane ratings indicate better resistance to knocking.

• 95 petrol: This typically has an octane rating of 95. It is suitable for most regular cars and is the standard fuel used by many vehicles in Thailand.
  • 97 petrol: This has a higher octane rating, usually around 97. It is considered a premium or high-performance fuel. Vehicles that require higher octane fuel or those with high-performance engines may benefit from using 97 petrol, as it can provide smoother performance and potentially better fuel efficiency.

Using a higher octane fuel than necessary for your vehicle doesn't usually offer significant benefits, but using a lower octane fuel than recommended can lead to engine knocking and reduced performance. It's always best to consult your vehicle's manual or manufacturer recommendations to determine the appropriate fuel type for your specific car.

That serves to demonstrate that chatgpt is an unreliable source of information.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If this was an article in 'The Thaiger' !!! :giggle:

In Thailand, the distinction between 95 and 97 petrol is akin to choosing between two exquisite wines, each with its own allure for the passionate car enthusiast. The magic lies in their octane ratings, a measure of the fuel's prowess to resist the unsettling knocks or pings during the fiery dance of combustion.

• 95 Petrol: With an octane rating of 95, this fuel is the steadfast companion for most regular cars, the everyday hero of the Thai roads. It's the reliable choice, trusted by many to keep their journeys smooth and steady.
  • 97 Petrol: Now, 97 petrol, with its higher octane rating around 97, is the darling of high-performance aficionados. It's the premium, the crème de la crème, reserved for vehicles that demand more – the sleek, the powerful, the ones that crave a bit more zest in their engine's performance. This petrol promises a smoother ride, whispering the promise of enhanced efficiency and a touch more grace on the open road.

While using this higher-octane nectar when it's not required may not transform your car into a beast, using a lower octane than your car's soul desires can lead to a disheartening rattle and a drop in performance. Always heed the wisdom of your car's manual or the whispers of the manufacturer to ensure you choose the fuel that lets your beloved vehicle sing its sweetest song.

Gotta love chatGPT !!!

The Thaiger's content is all about quality and style not as simple as it looks! Maybe you should give it a go? 😉

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Conan The Barbarian said:

The Thaiger's content is all about quality and style not as simple as it looks! Maybe you should give it a go? 😉

Quality? I stopped reading The Thaiger because there were simply too many errors in their articles about various places and activities in Thailand. That is subjects that I know about, and I figured that there were problably as many errors in articles about stuff that I do not know much about. Also, I got tired of seeing the many advertorial articles about Andamanda Waterpark in Phuket.

12 hours ago, 0ffshore360 said:

Octane rating. Used  to be regulated by lead compounds that were declared poisonous. Replaced now  by  paint stripper and added alcohol. !

For those confused by my above  comment : In the world of aftermarket performance fuel additives and octane boosters, three ingredients are used predominantly: methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT), toluene, and variants of trimethylbenzene.

What are the main ingredients of paint stripper?:Acetone, toluene, and methanol are chemicals that are commonly used together in paint strippers, and they evaporate quickly and are very flammable. Breathing high levels of these chemicals can cause a variety of effects, including drowsiness, dizziness, and headache.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

@KhunLA

was faster.

I remember seeing the 97 sign at Bangchak stations. Not available at PTT.

From experience, for E85 users, good luck finding that at PTT, as we used with our last ICEV, until prices started equalizing with 91, and no advantage.

E85 was very hard to find at PTT, and usually only at the newer larger PTT Park stations.  EV charging is easier to find now, and that's not an exaggeration  :cheesy:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

The difference between 91 and 95 is just the octane rating. 97 has an even higher octane but I believe it is also pure gasoline with no added ethanol, hence the big jump in price.

• Agree 2

Higher octane gas burns slower which may be necessary for certain higher performance engines. Many modern vehicles can detect the type of fuel, and if higher octane fuel is used can provide slightly increased performance e.g. by additional spark advance in the ECU, but will accommodate lower octane fuel just fine. If you don't care about a tiny performance difference, and your vehicle doesn't have symptoms e.g "knock" or "ping" with lower octane, it's fine to use. If your vehicle isn't tuned for higher octane fuel, using it is a waste, and can actually decrease performance (because it burns slower).

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Conan The Barbarian said:

This title dives into the differences between 95 and 97 octane petrol, examining how each type affects your car's performance and fuel efficiency.

97 - 95 equals 2.  That is the difference.  High performance cars require high octane.  In the USA 89 is considered regular and 91 premium.  Here 91 is regular and 95 premium.  

Unless you have a high performance car 91 should be all that is required to meet your engine requirements.  Check your owners manual or inside your gas cap often tells you the minimum octane needed.  

• Thanks 1

You can always buy your own nitro(methane) and add it to your fuel to get the desired octane. Nitro is added to methanol to make up RC hobby fuels. It is pretty cheap for that extra bang to the buck.