Mate needs advise on moving to Thailand

34 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Hi guys, I have been in Thailand for a few years, so things may have change, so my mate needs current info.
1. Best way to bring belongings, as he will have more than 20Kgs, excess luggage would include photos, and clothes, and computer, including monitors etc.

2. He will be living in Surat Thani, so is there an immigration office there.

3. Is there a visa agent there.

4. How will it affect his age pension

Any other advise would come in handy

Thanks Guys

1. Sorry, no idea.
  2. Is he living in Suratthani province, or Suratthani city? Yes, there is an immigration office and a land transport office (driving licence) in the city.
  3. There will be an agent somewhere in the city. Outside of the city...???
  4. His pension will be frozen at the current rate and no increases or extra payments.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

1. Sorry, no idea.
  2. Is he living in Suratthani province, or Suratthani city? Yes, there is an immigration office and a land transport office (driving licence) in the city.
  3. There will be an agent somewhere in the city. Outside of the city...???
  4. His pension will be frozen at the current rate and no increases or extra payments.

B S to the Australian pension answer

All you loose is the extra benefits for phone and power costs, you still get the increases granted to all the pensioners

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Aussie999 said:

He will be living in Surat Thani, so is there an immigration office there.

Perhaps implies he a "friend" in Surat Thani. 

So is this for ongoing living/retirement? 

it is a bit scary to think of someone moving country and not having this basic info which can be found in minutes
obviously i now understand why you are asking if there is an agent
FYI, it is possible he could be charged import tax on a desktop PC and monitors,
better to save the hassle and just sell it and replace when here

5 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

Hi guys, I have been in Thailand for a few years, so things may have change, so my mate needs current info.
1. Best way to bring belongings, as he will have more than 20Kgs, excess luggage would include photos, and clothes, and computer, including monitors etc.

2. He will be living in Surat Thani, so is there an immigration office there.

3. Is there a visa agent there.

4. How will it affect his age pension

Any other advise would come in handy

Thanks Guys

All question will be answered by Dr.Google.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The man may have reasons for wanting to bring in his worldly possessions.  I would also like to bring quite a few things in this year.

Anyone have any recent experience of bringing in a container/half a container?  Hassles with customs etc.  Anyone know a shipping agent that can 'ease' such imports?

OP, if your mate just wants to bring in a few things - pay the extra to the airline in advance, usually much cheaper if you pay on booking.  I've brought in all sorts of things - some in suitcases, some in cardboard boxes.  I was always within my luggage allowance though (I get extra) so can't comment on the exact cost.

I can say however, that nothing I've ever brought in was checked on entry and my things have included a vintage hifi separates system and a 5 ring gas burner!!  Extra suitcases just come around the carousel, cardboard boxes usually come as 'oversize baggage' and are picked up from the office near the carousels at Suvarnabhumi, although they sometimes also come around the carousel. Both come with you rather than through customs separately.

If he uses cardboard boxes, he needs to pack things very securely as they will be thrown around just the same as everything else is.  I'd suggest cling film wrapping them beforehand - usually keeps out the baggage handling thieves.

Edited by MangoKorat

Is he on the Australia Single Old Age pension? If yes, he will still receive indexed increases.

But it will be reduced if he marries a Thai lady and tells CentreLink. They will calculate his new OAP at the married rate, but he will only get half of this (because his Thai wife is not an Australian citizen and not entitled to the benefit).

One time a while ago when relocating back to Thailand, I broke my PC down, wrapping the main parts in bubble rap

Had it rebuilt here in a better case, can't remember the cost, but not much

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The one main thing to bear in mind is the cost of Medical Insurance. Mine is the most expensive expense I have every month and it just gets bigger every year. It's now 200,000 Baht a year and it's never going to go down.

• Thumbs Up 2

When I came to Thailand in 2010 I brought one large and one medium suitcase with me.  They had clothes and some small collectibles that I did not want to leave behind.  And some rolled-up art works, photos, etc..   I also shipped two antique Korean chests, which I filled with other collectibles and some small pictures, and I shipped two Japanese folding art screens, which I have had since the early 1970s.  

In hindsight, I should have shipped a bit more of the art work I left behind when I was doing the shipment.  I also should have bought two even bigger suitcases than the ones I used and shipped more one-of-a-kind stuff I had.  Good advice by an earlier poster to not bring much in the way of clothes--I brought far too much and I would have had more space for more important things. 

On 5/20/2024 at 9:52 AM, Tropicalevo said:

1. His pension will be frozen at the current rate and no increases or extra payments.

Incorrect, perhaps you are thinking of UK pensions.

The Australian pension consists of a base rate, and supplements such as rent assistance and energy bills. One loses the supplements payments after 6 weeks overseas.

Increases are in either budgets or cost-of-living indexation, I am yet to miss out on one of those after 12 years here.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Thanks for saying nothing, you seem to forget what this forum is for.

Oh, tell me please. I forgot it, indeed.

So? Can't wait to read your reply🙏

48 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Thanks for saying nothing, you seem to forget what this forum is for.

That's a bit rich.

One of your questions (bit strange) was "does Surat Thani have an immigration office". A simple Google search shows the office web site along with Google maps, even reviews etc.

If you had been more engaged with your thread you would have received more helpful information.

It's not even clear if the friend is Oz.

If that's the case some folk would have pointed out the eVisa including non O based on retirement is now available from AU, etc etc 

Having a non O would greatly assist opening a Thai bank account if he currently does not have one. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's a bit rich.

One of your questions (bit strange) was "does Surat Thani have an immigration office". A simple Google search shows the office web site along with Google maps, even reviews etc.

If you had been more engaged with your thread you would have received more helpful information.

It's not even clear if the friend is Oz.

If that's the case some folk would have pointed out the eVisa including non O based on retirement is now available from AU, etc etc 

Having a non O would greatly assist opening a Thai bank account if he currently does not have one. 

SMH, most people would assume my mate is an Aussie, if replies are like yours, this forum would be of no help... I do not think I am the problem. Have a nice day.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

SMH, most people would assume my mate is an Aussie, if replies are like yours, this forum would be of no help... I do not think I am the problem. Have a nice day.

It would be helpful if you gave more details of your friend's situation, age, nationality, long term plan, financial position, or advise him to join the forum and ask his own questions.

• Agree 2

Why do you not just asvise your mate to join Asean Now and he can read the forum himself? He could then also ask the questions he wants and interact directly with responders instead of you....

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/23/2024 at 10:49 AM, Pattaya57 said:

Why do you not just asvise your mate to join Asean Now and he can read the forum himself? He could then also ask the questions he wants and interact directly with responders instead of you....

He is internet, and computer illiterate, he has both, but I need to Teamviewer into his PC on a regular basis.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 8:15 AM, Aussie999 said:

He is internet, and computer illiterate, he has both, but I need to Teamviewer into his PC on a regular basis.

Is he capable of handling a move abroad in this day and age if he can't use a computer or smart phone?

I guess it's still possible to use hard copies for everything and get your information from a newspaper, but it would be difficult.

Edited by JimTripper