Cannabis crackdown: Only marijuana buds return to the blacklist

webfact

2 hours ago, connda said:

Me too - I hope tobacco and then alcohol get the axe as well, in that order. 

Lets get those coffee addicts too, hate the smell and you can see that mental impact when they dont get their morning fix.  Then sugar, fizzy drinks, meat, fatty food, sweets and cake, damn cake get that too.

The reality is all of which likely worse than cannabis when used by your normal average user and almost none have the potential health benefits.

With the exception of coffee I like all the others, I'm aware of the potential harm of each and try not to overdo them and I teach my kid the same and the potential impact of each.

I agree with added steps to protect children and the vulnerable that may not have had the opportunity for good parenting and reasonable judgement but to start banning all of those on the basis they can all be harmful seems fairly harsh.

Work to help society, to give people opportunities and education and support to leverage good judgement and find life in moderation is surely a more reasonable approach. Banning is tried tested and failed way of dealing with things.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Without buds what's the point?

I guess all the budtenders will.have to become stem sellers.

Stem Cells are the new thing Jing.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Somsak’s clarification reassures businesses that only the buds are targeted.

Aint no reassurance here as it's the buds that are making the money. Complete imbiciles being directed by the Puppet Master.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Cool. Drive it back underground so prices drop, although here in the KOW I am already smoking nice smooth Mandarin Cookies from Thailand at $2 a gram.

I think Ill hit my Disposible vape from Cailifornia.

Once the bell is rung, it cant be unrung.

It won’t go back underground. Buds will be there alongside all the other plant parts and a regular pay off to the police will ensure that there is no issue. 

your bell analogy is so true.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Pot isn't drugs. Drugs are manufactured and processed. Cannabis is a  plant, hence, not a drug. 

And there is me thinking that opium was a drug.

Opium? Poppies?

Oh well  - back to  school.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, JimboB4 said:

Including the man himself who helped get it legalized in the first place who’s still on the board who decides. 

The same man who, in an interview with CNN just before decriminalisation (not legalised), said "but you still cannot smoke it".

and from a CNN article in January -

“Thailand will promote cannabis policies for medical purposes. There has never once been a moment that we would think about advocating people to use cannabis in terms of recreation – or use it in a way that it could irritate others,” Anutin said.

Who's your hero now?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Denim said:

He has friends ? Wow.

Anyway, moving on will there be new guidelines on alcohol to follow ?

The bottles and caps will remain legal but the contents will only be allowed to contain 1% alcohol.

This will be a revenue booster for government as drinkers will need to buy more bottles too  get drunk.

Great minds at work in high places.

Do not forget... they will allow you to keep your license to sell the alcohol so that way they do not need to compensate you for cancelling it and destroying your business.

2 hours ago, JimboB4 said:

This is just more authors in the media or maybe just this site who think they can write it away who don’t like it. Yes the PM is talking about it but he doesn’t have the power to do it alone. It’s still up to other branches of the government. 

so poppy is not a drug also? cocaine plants are not drugs?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Pot isn't drugs. Drugs are manufactured and processed. Cannabis is a  plant, hence, not a drug. 

Is this perhaps enough for you? 🤣😂🤣
image.png.132b295cc42c630485d4ff70f29c8b45.png

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Spock said:

Yes it would. Only the buds have THC which is what is tested for. The rest of the plant is utterly useless even for medical purposes. Medical marijuana in Australia is largely about bud and potent ones too. No one is going to buy any medical product that is devoid of THC. No one in the business or who uses would have been relieved by this decision as claimed in the poorly conceived article. It 's a disaster for all concerned. I coming in July for a month and this will no doubt be my last opportunity to buy buds. Pretty sure this will be my last visit as the illegal stuff is much easier to get hold of in neighbouring countries. 

The rest of the plant has many uses 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

"For the first time on record, cannabis has outpaced alcohol as the daily drug of choice for Americans.

In 2022 there were 17.7 million people who reported using cannabis either every day or nearly every day, compared with 14.7 million who reported using alcohol with the same frequency"

"Cannabis Tops Alcohol as Americans’ Daily Drug of Choice," May 23, 2024 https://www.nytimes.com

I was going to post this recent info and add that the hemp loophole is threatening alcohols growth.   They are concentrating the thc from hemp and putting it in drinks.  A very fast growth rate these past few years.   5mg and some 10 mg about 400 baht. Since all hemp peoducts are covered by this farm bill they can sell inamy states but not mine evidently as I tried to order some.  

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/best-thc-drinks

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Noah K said:

Hysterical! The rest of the plant is worthless 

Really?

The leafs are working really well for me!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I do think if pot is used in youth it can cause you to redirect your focus on education and things to the detriment to oneself and society.  Even more so of its illegal and you consider yourself a criminal and all police are enemies.  

In my youth under 16, I believe I was addicted to the weak crap of the 70s for over a year.   I had to dump all my friends to be able to quit.  Luckily for me I was able to break the habit and study harder the last 2 years of HS   then on to college.  It did take an extra 18 months to get my engineering degree from a top college.  Didn't use it at all for 20 years, then occasionally but have never purchased any except in legal Colorado or Thailand.   Use it now and again but it definitely lowers my progress towards my goals.   I have a very busy life and business, garden, lots of hobbies, to much stuff always needing organizing or repair.   

It was nice last trip to Thailand, xmas 7 weeks, 2022/23.   Ate lots of edibles in BKK and our travels. Wofe hates the smell of smoked bud. Bought  and had 10g sent to the village for our 21 day stay. Had to relearn how to roll one. Some farang hobby grower sent it post.    Was like 1000 baht.  Pot not used by wife's family or many in the village but I am farang and can do what I want.   I think it helped me see into village life.  While my Thai is very poor I could communicate on a basic level and share or learn methods of fixing, repairing, or building things.   Overall I think I am well liked by everyone in the village.      Since i am a hands on guy in most all trades I could predict what tool or board the crew would be needing far in advance.  I would gather and move tools or supplies to a location   then 30 minutes later when the workers needed them they understood why i put them there.   Bewilderment and thanks all in the looks i got.  

Edited by Elkski

12 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Thailand’s Public Health Minister, Somsak Thepsutin, has announced that only cannabis buds will be reclassified as Category 5 narcotics, leaving the rest of the marijuana plant legal. This decision aims to clarify the nation’s cannabis regulations following Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin’s pledge to recriminalise marijuana.

In this new directive, parts of the cannabis plant such as leaves, branches, roots, stems, and seeds remain unaffected by the ban. The focus is solely on the buds, which contain psychoactive compounds used for recreational purposes. This announcement provides relief to many in the cannabis industry who feared a broader crackdown.

In 2022, the Public Health Ministry, with approval from the Narcotics Control Board, removed marijuana and hemp from Thailand’s Category 5 narcotics list. However, Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin’s campaign to reinstate restrictions on marijuana has led to widespread uncertainty.

Somsak’s clarification reassures businesses that only the buds are targeted. "The directive will specify regulations on planting, possessing, importing, exporting, and utilising the parts of the marijuana plant that remain legal," he stated.

The minister also confirmed that hemp would not be relisted as a drug. He emphasised that cannabis-related activities would require permissions, primarily for medical, research, and other legitimate purposes.

He assured that the new system of permissions will not impose excessive burdens and will clearly define the qualifications for individuals or businesses to engage in cannabis-related activities, ensuring transparency and ease of compliance.

Somsak promised a phased approach to implementing these new regulations, including a clear timeline for enforcement. This will give businesses ample time to adjust to the new legal landscape, aiming to mitigate any disruption to the burgeoning cannabis sector.

With these measures, Thailand seeks to balance public health concerns while offering some stability to the cannabis industry, aligning with Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin’s vision.

TOP: File photo: A person sits outside a cannabis shop in Bangkok, Thailand. (AP Photo/Sakchai Lalit)

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-24

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Idiots the only part of the plant that is usable rest is fertilizer and making clothes n rope, is probably cutting down there yah bah and alcohol profits need for greed, more idiot drunks killing peoples, mentally challenged . like all govts, do not like losing a slice of the pie, like govt somebody gets elected, but the ban him put a army lacky in sad pukkin world

s

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, 1sickpuppy said:

Idiots the only part of the plant that is usable rest is fertilizer and making clothes n rope, is probably cutting down there yah bah and alcohol profits need for greed, more idiot drunks killing peoples, mentally challenged . like all govts, do not like losing a slice of the pie, like govt somebody gets elected, but the ban him put a army lacky in sad pukkin world

s

FTW

7 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

On the contrry, as THC does not go back on the narcotics list, you might not sell the buds (in a shop), but growing the plant -- and just not sell the buds? -- is exactly the loophole that was ot be expected.

Brown envelopes all aorund, and then business as usual.

I'm not familiar with exactly how the old law was written, but this sounds like wishful thinking.

I suspect if the intent is to make buds illegal again then the new law would also contain wording that states that any part of the cannabis plant containing more than 0.2% THC is illegal. That's the same legal wording they already have in place now for all cannabis extract products. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, thesetat said:

so poppy is not a drug also? cocaine plants are not drugs?

Until highly processed both are just plants.

• Agree 1