Big Thailand visa changes from June 1

On 5/28/2024 at 7:35 PM, bob smith said:

what the hell is going on in this country?

One minute they can't wait to get rid of us, the next they are welcoming all and sundry with open arms!

make your bleedin minds up will you!

bob.

The country is Thailand inhabited by Thais.    

They can do what they want,  Bob.    

They can change the rules every five minutes should they so choose.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

Trust me when I say that I have never had a skewed perception of my importance to the Thai economy, nor that of expats in general. In fact, I've argued the same point that you are trying to argue here, more times than I care to remember.

But you have to be very careful about how you present the argument. On a one to one comparison basis, expats on average outspend tourists but overall, the sum total of all tourists outspend the sum total of all expats.

That was said quite succinctly, and I will give you three thumbz up for that  👍👍👍

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I think this delusion is shared by many foreigners who married a Thai. But surprisingly enough, I see many Thais having a life without any help from a foreign "savior".

I take your point but if a Thai woman has most things she needs then why go to Pattaya, especially women in their mid 40's.

On 6/19/2024 at 1:19 AM, Bday Prang said:

Hardly a delusion, there are many Thais for whom the presence of a foreign husband  has drastically  improved their quality of life, often to a level they could only have dreamed of. The benefits are often not limited to just the wife herself but often to the entire family.   Surprisingly enough I have seen this quite often  

True, but no acknowledgement or credit is ever given from the Thai authorities for this act of kindness.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 5:00 PM, Tod Daniels said:

I thought this was a thread about the proposed (and approved but not yet enacted) changes to the entry/visa/extension process.

Seems to be turning into people saying "look how much I spend here, I'm important, I contribute, why isn't my visa category changing?"

If long stay foreigners factored in to the equation in the least believe me they'd have fooled with the visa/extension rules to reflect it. 

Sadly we do not..

Yes agree but i.still  have  no answer, is the.visa  60.days for straylya operating now🙏

On 6/19/2024 at 6:19 PM, Bday Prang said:

Hardly a delusion, there are many Thais for whom the presence of a foreign husband  has drastically  improved their quality of life, often to a level they could only have dreamed of. The benefits are often not limited to just the wife herself but often to the entire family.   Surprisingly enough I have seen this quite often  

2 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

True, but no acknowledgement or credit is ever given from the Thai authorities for this act of kindness.

Act of kindness my Rs!

If you want to be remembered for an act of kindness, go do some charity work.

Claiming that marrying and supporting somebody is an "act of kindness" is pure delusion that could only be believed by the most narcissistic of people.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Wow, snakebit or what?

I would call taking care of a woman's entire family and raising their standard of living being "kind" or showing "kindness".  

Indeed. A totally selfless act, in which the husband expects nothing in return....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Persuader0963 said:

So let's recap.

It's been close to a month since the announcement was first released, with an initial start date of 1 June. One month later, nary a squeak from the government since then.

TIT.

One wonders why that's the case. Was it meant to shake up & confuse like so many other immigration matters? 

Edited by JimTripper

8 hours ago, Persuader0963 said:

So let's recap.

It's been close to a month since the announcement was first released, with an initial start date of 1 June. One month later, nary a squeak from the government since then.

TIT.

I think if you go back to the original announcement, it is rather confusing.  They mentioned 1st June as implementation date and then further on in the announcement, they mention  1 Sept 24.

It's anybody guess, that what is to be announced next.

Edited by Raindancer

On 6/19/2024 at 1:17 PM, Mason45 said:

I believe that us expats legally married to Thais should be treated much better, we've given our wives one thing that Thailand couldn't give them. A LIFE.

Statistics in EU show when Thai lady gets divorced she NEVER re-marry an other farang......

But she is happy to stay there - alone 🙂

So, in a way you are correct!

Edited by GypsyT

7 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

Statistics in EU show when Thai lady gets divorced she NEVER re-marry an other farang......

But she is happy to stay there - alone 🙂

So, in a way you are correct!

What statistics....?  🤔

Plus, its nonsense........:coffee1:

"Tourists wishing to work and sightsee can now be issued five-year visas for stays that last up to 180 days, which can be extended for another 180 days. Previously, they were only permitted to stay twice for 30 days each. "These new rules target digital nomads, remote workers, freelancers, as well as those interested in learning Muay Thai and Thai cuisine," Mr. Chai explained."

Then why on earth should I continue with OA-based extensions (66K transferred per month, mandatory health insurance), when I can become a "digital nomad" and get what amounts to essentially full-time entry for 5 years?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Then why on earth should I continue with OA-based extensions (66K transferred per month, mandatory health insurance), when I can become a "digital nomad" and get what amounts to essentially full-time entry for 5 years?

Well, you would need to go through the trouble of registering a shell business and get a business license (if you don't already have one, or a legit one).

With that comes tax implications in your home country, depending on where it's filed. For example, possibly having to file quarterly or semi-annualy even if the business makes no money depending on where it's based.

In many areas the license is not free. That adds to costs. Also, you would need to setup a virtual office for mail and as a business address in that juristiction. Possible, but costs can add up.

Edited by JimTripper