Red Bull Heiress Sues for Defamation Over Son’s Hit-and-Run Scandal

webfact

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, LS24 said:

Are you happy to be held responsible for the actions of your children, siblings or parents? Why should this parent?

That's not the point though - is it? 

What is under question is whether tried to "pervert the course of justice" by offering several million baht as a bribe.

P.S. Is "he" an "heiress" as posted in the headline? Very handsome for a woman! 🙂 

Edited by sambum
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The mind boggles...  Any civilised country looks at this and thinks 'banana republic'....

Overseas businesses must be questioning if this is truly the legal system of a country in which they want to invest.

I wonder how much Thailand's development is hindered by such cronyism. Neighboring countries demonstrate even more severe cronyism and corruption, leading to their lesser development.

News like this reveals to the international market the realities of how things operate in Thailand.

This behavior is an embarrassment for Thai citizens and a tragic burden on society.

On the flit side, this may be good news to those looking to operate outside the law. A beacon as a haven for those dubious characters to come invest in Thailand where having money can make your problem go away.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jonclark said:

"widespread misinformation"...aka the truth. lol 

If the father is so concerned about misinformation his son should return to put his is of the story - and lets remember he son is on Interpols Red list (allegedly) Maybe he should also consider sue Interpol for defamation as well. 

On a side note:

"Red Bull Heiress" eh - So Mr. Chalerm is actually a Mrs. Chalerm, right? Complete with a dress and stockings. 

A dress can cover multiple sins.

5 hours ago, connda said:

Nah - the criminal court system and prisons are only for commoners and political enemies of whomever is in power at the moment. 

The criminal court system and prisons are only for commoners, foreigners and political enemies of whomever is in power at the moment. 

FTFY.

1 hour ago, Foreign Jim said:

The Redbull heir is a massive POS. He was coked up and killed a police officer by dragging him to his death with his fkn sports car.  Fk him and his entire family.

POS eh!

Don't think that refers to 'Person Of Standing'.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

In a more liberal , less autocratic country , this ridiculous defamation law would not even exist . In this country it is nothing but a tool to silence the opposition and opinions that differ .

Here , you can , and will , be jailed for just expressing your personal view , even if that is correct and supported by facts .

Shame .

It boils down to thing - Thai Societies preoccupation with saving FACE......

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

That's not the point though - is it? 

What is under question is whether tried to "pervert the course of justice" by offering several million baht as a bribe.

P.S. Is "he" an "heiress" as posted in the headline? Very handsome for a woman! 🙂 

Is a translation typo of "heiress" the point, though? Why are you hung up on such a thing? I take it that you don't speak Thai language. If you did, you would understand how simple it is to make such errors in translation of the masculine and feminine.

What you suggest is not under question. I replied to a poster that stated that all the family could piss off which I took as suggesting all of the family should be held responsible for the actions of the son apparently killing a cop. That is why I responded with what I did.

Where is your evidence of someone paying a bribe? People pay compensation for death in this country as a matter of course. As far as I am aware it has been done this way for eons. Why is this person's payment any different?

If you know more facts than others, please do share them and back it up with why you know it is factual. Most here would be interested in knowing.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ironmike said:

So why not bring back the little bastard and try him in court, maybe cost your billionaires family more money this country is a joke

Are you aware that payments to family in lieu of court is a common thing in Thailand? I worked with a guy once who killed the family family breadwinner in a road crash. No court. The family and the guy came to an agreement or payment and terms with the police as adjudicator and everyone went back to their lives.

Why are you saying this guy should be treated differently? And the statute of limitations have been and gone.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

What is his motivation for this, 50 million is pocket change to that family, and does this fellow really buy into the whole face thing anymore?

Has he recently been denied entry into a prestigious institution due to the segment going viral? Overheard some chit chat about himself at the tennis club?

Whatever it is and no matter what happened, which was tragic, he is within his rights to sue and the burden of proof falls upon the presenter.

Still, this is an odd play for the Trade Federation. star wars

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The defamation laws were written by sold out cowards, to protect rotten players from reprisals, due to bad service, faulty products and bad business. They have no place in today's world. They represent a heinous over reach of toxic power. 

Defamation laws exist in almost all western nations.  They are useful and legitimate laws. It's how they are applied in Thailand that's the problem.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The defamation laws were written by sold out cowards, to protect rotten players from reprisals, due to bad service, faulty products and bad business. They have no place in today's world. They represent a heinous over reach of toxic power. 

Thailand deserves whatever comes its way as a result of this. Those insane and cowardly defamation laws have been around way too long. They were written and passed by sold out politicians, for men who sell inferior products, offer inferior services, and steal alot of money. And do not intend to be answerable to anyone. Perhaps some of that will change. 

For those of us who have been here a awhile, we know that positive change only happens here through utter embarrassment, humiliation, and a loss of face. It never happens because it is the right thing to do, or due to fairness or equity. So, it must be thrust upon them. Egg on the face can be a cure for many diseases and weaknesses. 

O spider that was really nasty, don't you know that "justice" will be handed out in the next life? If any of the people mentioned ever thought of the karma they are creating surely they would be a little bit humble?

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, LS24 said:

Is a translation typo of "heiress" the point, though? Why are you hung up on such a thing? I take it that you don't speak Thai language. If you did, you would understand how simple it is to make such errors in translation of the masculine and feminine.

What you suggest is not under question. I replied to a poster that stated that all the family could piss off which I took as suggesting all of the family should be held responsible for the actions of the son apparently killing a cop. That is why I responded with what I did.

Where is your evidence of someone paying a bribe? People pay compensation for death in this country as a matter of course. As far as I am aware it has been done this way for eons. Why is this person's payment any different?

If you know more facts than others, please do share them and back it up with why you know it is factual. Most here would be interested in knowing.

I mentioned "heiress" as a P.S. to my post, so I wouldn't say that I was "hung up" on it, more a sort of side comment. You are the one that appears to be "hung up" on the situation!

"Where is your evidence of someone paying a bribe? People pay compensation for death in this country as a matter of course. As far as I am aware it has been done this way for eons. Why is this person's payment any different?"

"The accusations revolve around statements suggesting he used 300 million baht to influence the legal process surrounding his son Vorayuth ‘Boss’ Yoovidhya, who was involved in a fatal hit-and-run incident."

I didn't accuse anyone of taking a bribe, "that he used 300  million baht to influence the legal process surrounding his son" is what is under question, not that it was used as compensation paid to the dead policeman's family. (Maybe you should bring that to the attention of the court, as you  also mentioned it to somebody else on another post, it would appear that you are "hung up" on the payment being made as compensation rather than trying "to influence the legal process".

If you know more facts than others (about compensation being paid to the family) please do share them and back it up with why you know it is factual. Most here would be interested in knowing."

That is the only comment that I will make to your last statement, as it is totally irrelevant to what I said, and I have no intention of getting into a "fact swapping argument" with you.

Edited by sambum

44 minutes ago, sambum said:

I mentioned "heiress" as a P.S. to my post, so I wouldn't say that I was "hung up" on it, more a sort of side comment. You are the one that appears to be "hung up" on the situation!
------------------------------------------------------

I didn't accuse anyone of taking a bribe, "that he used 300  million baht to influence the legal process surrounding his son" is what is under question, not that it was used as compensation paid to the dead policeman's family.

Not hung up at all. Just home with a head cold and bored mainly. I was just playing on your previous post to me. I'm not more hung up than you it seems but you needed to point it out.

Tomato/tomato. They are both red fruits. Okay, semantics aside. I never accused you of anything. You draw conclusions.

I have no idea what the 300 million was allegedly used for. That is your story. Can you demonstrate where the funds were allegedly used for influence and how the total does not include the compensation?

Influence and bribery and the subtle differences between the two. That would be an interesting topic.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, mfd101 said:

In a country where the defamation law does not allow 'truth' as a defence?

Are you that ignorant?

the law isn't interested in the truth..........it's what you can prove that counts in a court of Law. You cannot just shoot your mouth off and say whatever you want based on nothing more than conjecture and hearsay and gossip - especially if you are a national tv presenter. He should have known better and so should his employers.

It isn't peculiar to Thailand either. So the Thai bashing is unnecessary. 

Edited by Jackbenimble
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, LS24 said:

Not hung up at all. Just home with a head cold and bored mainly. I was just playing on your previous post to me. I'm not more hung up than you it seems but you needed to point it out.

Tomato/tomato. They are both red fruits. Okay, semantics aside. I never accused you of anything. You draw conclusions.

I have no idea what the 300 million was allegedly used for. That is your story. Can you demonstrate where the funds were allegedly used for influence and how the total does not include the compensation?

Influence and bribery and the subtle differences between the two. That would be an interesting topic.

"I have no idea what the 300 million was allegedly used for. That is your story."

Not "my story" at all - it is in the post - as already pointed out "that he used 300  million baht to influence the legal process surrounding his son" 

You were the one who brought up the matter of compensation - not me, so don't ask me about why the total does not include it - that's "your pigeon"!

And you were the one who said  that I was hung up because I happened to mention (as a P.S.) that the gentleman making the claim was described as an "heiress". I didn't make a big issue out of it but you did - explaining in detail how easy it is to get genders mixed up during translation.

Anyway, I think we have exhausted this topic, so have a nice day and hope your head cold gets better soon!

P.S. Hope your head cold gets better soon

On 5/29/2024 at 2:56 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Who is "the murderer" in that family?  You cannot be referring to someone who has not even been charged with murder, never mind convicted, surely?

Rich people will not be charged for murder in Thailand. Never the less, if you kill another person then you are a murderer.

On 5/29/2024 at 11:32 AM, phetphet said:

He could always go on TV and explain what the widespread misinformation is, where is son is, and why he ran away and continues to hide.

Why would HE (The "heiresss" 😝) bother when there’s a handy statute that works far better…? 

28 minutes ago, Geir Rasch said:

Rich people will not be charged for murder in Thailand. Never the less, if you kill another person then you are a murderer.

Do look up the definition of "murderer " to save further embarrassment. Then understand "manslaughter ". It’ll be a good education for you…

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

the law isn't interested in the truth..........it's what you can prove that counts in a court of Law. You cannot just shoot your mouth off and say whatever you want based on nothing more than conjecture and hearsay and gossip - especially if you are a national tv presenter. He should have known better and so should his employers.

It isn't peculiar to Thailand either. So the Thai bashing is unnecessary. 

Jack - you really need to be more "nimble " in your understanding of defamation as it applies here. But I’ve seen Meerseeks has just explained it to you.