Servers Wanting Me To Move Seats

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously you shouldn't sit on a table for 6 is you are alone.

When I go to a restaurant, then likely they will direct me to a table. If I like it, fine. If not, then I suggest another table. Most of the time they let me sit wherever I want to sit. 

Why don't you ask the when you come inside? It should be possible to agree on a table which you like and they like.

In Thailand, I wouldn't insist on sitting where you want to sit and they don't want you to sit. Otherwise don't be surprised if the food somehow tastes funny.

I guess that would work in the Usa. That's the problem. They don't insist due to the face issue. So I'm left not knowing if they want me there or not. Get it?

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just agree with them on a table when you walk in.

In my experience in more expensive places someone walks you to a table, and you can select different tables.

And in not so expensive places it is often: Sit wherever you want.

True. They may be more upfront if I was not seated yet. I don't like waiting for staff so will often just walk in on my own. In other countries they have a "wait to be seated" sign in the front.

Edited by JimTripper

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

🤣 Lol, no typically it's towards a more central or obvious seat or in the middle of the room, which I don't like. However, I get the feeling it may be a power trip to just move me and not really about seat position. I chose my seat, so it's makes little sense to assume I would prefer a different seat.

I like unobtrusive seats in the corner or back or against the wall. I guess you could call them "quieter seats". They are not removed enough to be inconvenient for staff though.

That means it is done properly according to Thai customs. A Thai would like to be highlighted (many foreigners too), the center of attention and into the spotlight hence they want to give you a ''Premium seat'' even we westerners often prefer the opposite, more privacy is better.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

🤣 Lol, no typically it's towards a more central or obvious seat or in the middle of the room, which I don't like. However, I get the feeling it may be a power trip to just move me and not really about seat position. I chose my seat, so it's makes little sense to assume I would prefer a different seat.

I like unobtrusive seats in the corner or back or against the wall. I guess you could call them "quieter seats". They are not removed enough to be inconvenient for staff though.

Next time ask them why, and if it's a predictably rubbish reason stay where you are

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally just always make eye contact when entering a place, and then already know my favorite option, and ask if i can sit there. Then there is usually no space left for a suggestion too unless it would been reserved. 

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

More then that. I do full body shaves and alcohol wipes.

alcohol wipes you say.

Now back to the question, do you shower daily ?

Might be an aroma issue as to why they ask you to move seats !

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

alcohol wipes you say.

Now back to the question, do you shower daily ?

Might be an aroma issue as to why they ask you to move seats !

Can't you read?

Stop yapping about nonsense and watch this video: 

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 3

Is it perhaps because you have gone and sat in the spare seat at an already occupied table where maybe a family including children are enjoying an intimate gathering or celebrating a birthday? 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Often when I enter a restaurant in Thailand and sit down the server will come over and gesture for me to switch seats. Even when the venue is uncrowded and I have my pick of tables. Does not happen at streetside places, it's always at nicer more expensive places.

I don't like sitting where others want me to sit. I just refuse with a smile, but the refusal is uncomfortable. It opens the door to them possibly asking me to leave the restaurant (though have never had it happen).

Also, it's never explained why they want me to move because of the language barrier and also it causes some friction to ask why. Whether it's a "you may be more comfortable over here" or a "that seat is a status seat and reserved" or an anxiety thing like "I have to do something, but I don't know what, so I play with seating when someone comes in to break the ice" thing.

What is the proper thing to do, move where they say, get up and leave, refuse with a smile and remain seated, or start asking for a reason in front of other customers?

Don't occupy a table for 4 when on your own while spending hardly anything would be some good advice.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I guess that would work in the Usa. That's the problem. They don't insist due to the face issue. So I'm left not knowing if they want me there or not. Get it?

No, I don't get it why don't you ask why you need to move?