Taxing times: Tourism Minister stands firm with 300 baht tourist tax

12 hours ago, Puccini said:

It's the principle that matters.

"It won't reduuce the number of tourists", a government official was quoted as saying. Let them get away with 300 Baht and before long, it will be increased, then increased again, and again, and again...

Like the 700b departure tax that has not increased since 2007 ?

• Confused 3

If the money was going to things to make tourism more attractive, like reducing/eliminating the smoke in Chiang Mai or the taxi mafia in Phuket, Samui etc, tourists and Thai business owners would both benefit.

It as usual will disappear into fake or overpriced useless projects.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

With all these so called ways the government is trying to make all this money quickly many people may decide that Thailand is not as good financially as it once was and look for an alternative holiday solution or place to see out there retirement.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

This has been kicking around for over a year, but the devil's in the detail. They couldn't figure out how to implement it. So it got dropped. Doesn't look like they're much further down the road.

Thais were to be exempt. And certain classes of visas. Nobody could come up with a viable method of discrimination. But if everyone pays the departure tax, why not the landing tax? It was said 10% was for insurance. Obviously total bs. How about an environmental tax? If you're flying in it doesn't matter where you're from, does it? Or does it?

BTW, who is this man's tailor? Is there a government tailor fitting service? How much does one of these silk smoking jackets cost, and are they subsidised by the public under a Minister's clothing allowance? They've all got at least one. Cha cha loved to flaunt his.

Edited by bradiston
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

About $8.00 US. They're welcome to it, if I had to pay, but I'm a resident not a tourist, retirement visa. 

You may still have to pay your 8$, it says it’s a landing fee

• Sad 1

I remember many years ago we had a 500 baht exit fee that we had to pay in cash when leaving the country. Then this was supposedly incorporated into the ticket. Is that still in place? 300 baht is pennies compared to what tourists spend so I don’t know why anyone would have an issue, but wonder if the 500 is still there and this tax is really 800 in total. 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Bungditin said:

I remember many years ago we had a 500 baht exit fee that we had to pay in cash when leaving the country. Then this was supposedly incorporated into the ticket. Is that still in place? 300 baht is pennies compared to what tourists spend so I don’t know why anyone would have an issue, but wonder if the 500 is still there and this tax is really 800 in total. 

The departure tax is 700, in the ticket.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bungditin said:

It was increased to Bt.700 in 2007.

Rather than a "new" tax surely they could just increase the existing from 700 to 1000.

A Bt.300 rise after 17 years does not sound excessive to me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

It was increased to Bt.700 in 2007.

Rather than a "new" tax surely they could just increase the existing from 700 to 1000.

A Bt.300 rise after 17 years does not sound excessive to me.

So it will be 300 baht to come in and 700 to leave. It is very odd that this is not incorporated into the exit fee as you say. I vaguely remember this being floated some years ago and the government line was that the 300 would be used towards covering medical expenses for uninsured tourists. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

It will just be incorporated into the ticket - well it should be.

300 Baht is quite low, considering what they've lost in waving visas for Indians and Chinese. 

And Russians given 3 months

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:
16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

aimed at enhancing accessibility and facilities at tourist sites.

And if you think that's where the money will go.. think again.

They would have to fix every footpath in the country first just to get to your hotel first.   :giggle:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

This has been kicking around for over a year, but the devil's in the detail. They couldn't figure out how to implement it. So it got dropped. Doesn't look like they're much further down the road.

Thais were to be exempt. And certain classes of visas. Nobody could come up with a viable method of discrimination. But if everyone pays the departure tax, why not the landing tax? It was said 10% was for insurance. Obviously total bs. How about an environmental tax? If you're flying in it doesn't matter where you're from, does it? Or does it?

BTW, who is this man's tailor? Is there a government tailor fitting service? How much does one of these silk smoking jackets cost, and are they subsidised by the public under a Minister's clothing allowance? They've all got at least one. Cha cha loved to flaunt his.

Work clothes Tax deductible, I bet the Italian fashion industry will be queuing up for them LOL.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

About $8.00 US. They're welcome to it, if I had to pay, but I'm a resident not a tourist, retirement visa. 

Don't worry, you will have to pay it too, if you exit and return!

17 hours ago, redwood1 said:

And every baht of this money will go to tourist and expats who have trouble paying their medical bills...

If that is True  ( But it Ain't)  Fine ,than we expats can pay that  and a lot more as an Government Health Insurance fee per year. .   We Wish. 

• Confused 1

Land of hub of crooks!

I believe with the cost of ticket there is already a landing fee.! 

This is the same crook who suggested a entry fee 300 Baht in which 50 would go to an accident policy which stall abandon cause airline would not go along in collecting for them 

Only Hub created " Hub of Crooks " 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Exactly, a turnstile at arrivals, deposit money, then return to the plane. Maybe I am mistaken, but was there not a refusal by the airlines to implement this in the ticket as it was only for Foreign Nationals, and therefore a nightmare to police? Someone please put me right if I am getting it wrong.

Simplest way of incorporating tourist tax residents exempted is to put an electronic money bin at each immigration counter and ask tourist to slot in the 300 tb into the bin. Immigration officer not touching the cash and electronic money bin secured. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Crying out for tourists yet they still insist on bringing in additional charges I sometimes think these officials brains are in there nether regions !

Different departments different ministries not working in tandem. Each geared towards their own interest. 

• Thumbs Up 1