Thai car sales plunge; luxury market hit amid economic woes

webfact

12 minutes ago, decca60 said:

And taxing long term  residents will surely help the recovery........

Any tax I have to pay like others will be less doesn't in the community

• Confused 6

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Never forget, the nation endured 9 long years of the Prayuth Decimation. The economy will feel the effects of their policies for years to come. 

Never, ever allow an army to rule the nation. 

Falling car sales is a universal problem, everyone is getting squeezed, in the US they are almost giving 2nd hand cars away but still cant find customers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Falling car sales is a universal problem, everyone is getting squeezed, in the US they are almost giving 2nd hand cars away but still cant find customers.

That is just patently untrue, a friend of mine is a car broker, and he did say that luxury cars are hard to resell, but that virtually anything he gets under $15,000 sells within a week or two. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We are heading into a worldwide recession/depression it would seem.  All economies are now, or will soon be on the downhill slide.

Edited by MeePeeMai
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

That is just patently untrue, a friend of mine is a car broker, and he did say that luxury cars are hard to resell, but that virtually anything he gets under $15,000 sells within a week or two. 

I can only relate what I saw on youtube, a man who bought 2nd hand cars at auctions to sell on to 2nd hand dealers, he said, and showed cars, he bought at absolutely cut price but he had trouble selling them on because the dealers couldn't find customers. The cars at auction were from people who couldn't keep up with the payments but the bank didn't want to take possession as the price they would get was to small for the trouble. Some of the cars looked really good and he bought them for like $4,000

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The mercedes guy is delusional. Chinese cars are going to decimate European manufacturers. Why else does he think USA are about to put a 100% tariff on Chinese cars and the EU considering increasing theirs too. Thailand won't do it so he's even more exposed. China isn't just going to produce cheap and cheerful only.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Never forget, the nation endured 9 long years of the Prayuth Decimation. The economy will feel the effects of their policies for years to come. 

It seems we need to expand to "economy" what former French president General de Gaulle said about the contribution of "military justice" to French "justice" ....the same as the contribution of "military music" to French "music"

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Things seem to be getting worse, not better, though.

• Agree 2

New and Used Cars in Thailand are way overpriced and always have been.  This article seems to point to Rich people who can afford a Mercedes needing credit to buy one; doesn't make too much sense to me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Some of the cars looked really good and he bought them for like $4,000

But he won't sell them easy, because he priced them too high for a big $$$.
Keep them for ever. 

Edited by The Theory

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Things seem to be getting worse, not better, though.

The repercussions of poor economic management are felt years and decades later. Thailand is experiencing the effects of low investment over the past decade, and will continue to do so for a long time yet.

Armies don't grow economies.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

The repercussions of poor economic management are felt years and decades later. Thailand is experiencing the effects of low investment over the past decade, and will continue to do so for a long time yet.

Can you explain a little, please?  Thai GDP has apparently been going up steadily with no real change during the coups.  The only noticeable blips have been the 90s financial crisis and covid.  GDP actually started to go down before the last coup, then up again afterwards up until covid.

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

New and Used Cars in Thailand are way overpriced and always have been.  This article seems to point to Rich people who can afford a Mercedes needing credit to buy one; doesn't make too much sense to me.

Rich people don't buy a Merc. My comdo building is full of BMW and Benz cars and most people are middle class.

15 hours ago, Chongalulu said:

The mercedes guy is delusional. Chinese cars are going to decimate European manufacturers. Why else does he think USA are about to put a 100% tariff on Chinese cars and the EU considering increasing theirs too. Thailand won't do it so he's even more exposed. China isn't just going to produce cheap and cheerful only.

The exact description of an MG. Recently rented one on a vacation, and was struck by how cheap and unadorned the vehicle felt. 

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The exact description of an MG. Recently rented one on a vacation, and was struck by how cheap and unadorned the vehicle felt. 

I am happy with my MG ZS, at 730,000 baht I'm also not losing any sleep over my purchase. It would be twice that for a Mazda CX-5. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It helps if you say which model

18 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

We are heading into a worldwide recession/depression it would seem.  All economies are now, or will soon be on the downhill slide.

True and I blame the Covid crisis and it's going take a long time to recover.

In Udon Thani, seeing an explosion of Chinese EVs. When i go to pick up my daughter from school, at a back gate where only about 40 cars go, i see 2 or 3 EVs every time; all the cheaper ones around 500,000-700,000 baht. A year ago, none.

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, rickudon said:

In Udon Thani, seeing an explosion of Chinese EVs. When i go to pick up my daughter from school, at a back gate where only about 40 cars go, i see 2 or 3 EVs every time; all the cheaper ones around 500,000-700,000 baht. A year ago, none.

Smart people, and hard to beat for knocking around town, or even O&A.    Especially considering the made in TH, entry level ICEV aren't really that inexpensive any more.   Starting at 600k, and topping out at 799k, except for the Nissan March.   

Suzuki is throwing in the towel, so scratch their Celerio, Swift, and couldn't even sell many Ciaz at a silly discounted price.

Neta V @ 550k, usually on sale for 500k.   MG4 @ 699k, and EP a bit more @ 771k.   Low operating & maintenance cost, and simply plugging in at home.  No more Q'ing up at petrol station.

Haven't paid attention, but think some BYDs are in the 700k range.  Gem just picked up the Atto 3, and really liking it.

I'm actually surprised how many I see down here, for  small town, and not the weekenders.  Local folks, and full make/mode range, Tesla, Neta, MGs, & BYDs.  An Ora Good Cat occasionally.  Even a Fomm One, and just down the road from us.

So far, just the MG dealer here.  Have another at Hua Hin, along with BYD & GWM.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

Locals worried about impending tax issues and bunging too much money around?

People will go for the plastic battery things but you'll always have the flash Merc buyers despite the excessive tax on luxury motors... suppose that makes them even more appealing for the 'look at me' crowd.