Want to find a romantic Thai partner

16 hours ago, Terrance8812 said:

I’m from Canada and I’ve been in Thailand for about five months now. As I continue to immerse myself in the Bangkok way of life, I’ve also been contemplating dipping my toes into the dating scene here after recently breaking up with a long-time girlfriend from back home.

However, I must admit, I feel a bit out of my depth. While I’ve heard countless stories about the charm and allure of Thai women, I’ve also heard about the complexities and nuances involved in cross-cultural relationships. One concern that weighs a bit on my mind is the stereotype about Thai women and their financial aspirations. I want to ensure that any potential relationship I engage in is built on mutual respect and understanding, rather than purely on materialism or expectations.

Another aspect that I’ve heard a lot about is the importance of family in Thai culture. While I deeply respect these values, I can’t help but feel a bit intimidated by the prospect of meeting a partner’s family early on in a relationship. How can I navigate this aspect with grace and sincerity, while also ensuring that I’m setting the right tone for the future?

Additionally, I’m keen to learn more about the language to help form a relationship. While I’ve been making efforts to learn Thai, and can speak a bit, I wonder how crucial fluency is going to be in building a meaningful relationship.

Well, I may have already some general stereotypes and misconceptions about dating from others in Thailand, so I’m eager to gain a more nuanced understanding now. I do want to approach this with an open mind though as I have a genuine desire to connect with a woman in the right way.

I truly appreciate any wisdom, long term experiences, or advice you can share or offer.

OP you like complicating things don't you?

16 hours ago, Terrance8812 said:

As I continue to immerse myself in the Bangkok way of life, I’ve also been contemplating dipping my toes into the dating scene

Hi, I generally understand the comments on here.  Most have had not so great experiences, or they know what they're getting and are okay with it.  I know a few farang, and it is a few, who are in great long term relationships with a minimum of issues.

Can I suggest you have a look at the following web sites to do some of your own research?  In no particular order:

- https://www.thailandredcat.com/how-to-ruin-your-life-as-a-foreigner-in-thailand/

- https://www.thailandredcat.com/the-4-ways-on-how-to-meet-thai-girls/

- https://www.thailandredcat.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-online-dating-sites-in-thailand/

There are plenty of follow-on links on those sites, and maybe someone else has other sites they can recommend for your own research.

I wish you all the best and the maximum amount of happiness possible.  Especially the endings. 😇

• Like 1

Didn't read all the post, and no info if you are retired.  If not, suspect wind up.  If so, suspect wind up.

BUT .. if for real, been there, done that, and 2nd wife had a longer courtship.  8 yrs living together before married, and marriage (#4) has lasted 10 yrs, no probs.

Short courtship = short marriage :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Only 47% of Thai women have graduated from high school.

They don't seek a financially-assisted relationship because they are schemers, they do so because their options are much poorer than your's. 

The romantic problem  for you is that you will likely find yourself with a woman who's not all that attracted to you, just superficially likes you for the life you provide.

This is a deal you could have just as easily have back home, without the cultural differences -tho diff with a much bigger dress size. For many, a size six, settles all quibbles.

Me? If I could pay them to be into me, I would. But I tried (and tried), failed hilariously, and ultimately gave up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Living together after 1 week, married after 2 weeks, still together 15 years later.

Paid for her to attend high school, then university.

Damn, got educated and still with you ... bless her little heart :cheesy: ❤️ 👍

1st Thai wife, 11 weeks after meeting, married, 6 months commuting, though in TH more than USA, then 6 months later realized ... 'how stupid are you ?'

Got divorced, though still lived together for a while after.  Finally chucked her butt out.   Year or so later sold the house, kept the proceeds, (she wasn't involved) POA is a beautiful thing.   The rest is history :coffee1:

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

How old are you? what age you looking for?

These are good, simple, and straightforward questions.  Yet the OP can't answer?  He seems to have disappeared as well.  OP=troll

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Advice for the FNG looking for true love:

Buy a pair of high heels. 

Take a bus ride to the end of the line 

Take a motorcycle taxi to the end of the track 

Walk to the end of the path

Tie the shoes together and hand around your neck and start walking

The first young beautiful Thai woman who asks what you have hanging around your neck is your best bet.

Use Google translate.

Or just shaggy a few dozen before you find that girl working in a bar who just arrived and is working as a cashier and fall in "love" with her.

Post again when it alll goes South.

Next.

Edited by ignore it

Relationships throughout Asia are based on practicality. The western concept of romance is pretty much non-existent. My marriage of 40 years to a Thai lady is still a happy one based on close friendship and shared interests.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Terrance8812 said:

I’m from Canada and I’ve been in Thailand for about five months now. As I continue to immerse myself in the Bangkok way of life, I’ve also been contemplating dipping my toes into the dating scene here after recently breaking up with a long-time girlfriend from back home.

However, I must admit, I feel a bit out of my depth. While I’ve heard countless stories about the charm and allure of Thai women, I’ve also heard about the complexities and nuances involved in cross-cultural relationships. One concern that weighs a bit on my mind is the stereotype about Thai women and their financial aspirations. I want to ensure that any potential relationship I engage in is built on mutual respect and understanding, rather than purely on materialism or expectations.

Another aspect that I’ve heard a lot about is the importance of family in Thai culture. While I deeply respect these values, I can’t help but feel a bit intimidated by the prospect of meeting a partner’s family early on in a relationship. How can I navigate this aspect with grace and sincerity, while also ensuring that I’m setting the right tone for the future?

Additionally, I’m keen to learn more about the language to help form a relationship. While I’ve been making efforts to learn Thai, and can speak a bit, I wonder how crucial fluency is going to be in building a meaningful relationship.

Well, I may have already some general stereotypes and misconceptions about dating from others in Thailand, so I’m eager to gain a more nuanced understanding now. I do want to approach this with an open mind though as I have a genuine desire to connect with a woman in the right way.

I truly appreciate any wisdom, long term experiences, or advice you can share or offer.

Repeat after me … Sabai, sabai … jai yen, yen. Then go read, “Thailand Ferber” to aid in the cross cultural background. Take your time above all else. If you can do it psychologically, rent the need for company until you have been here for a year. Date but allow no commitment to attachment until a long period passes … that is no different from home, eh?

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Living together after 1 week, married after 2 weeks, still together 15 years later.

Paid for her to attend high school, then university.

I was going to like your comment then I reread paid for her to go to high school.   WTAF?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

These are good, simple, and straightforward questions.  Yet the OP can't answer?  He seems to have disappeared as well.  OP=troll

Thanks. I was going to waste my time on a thoughtful answer... 

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Damn, got educated and still with you ... bless her little heart :cheesy: ❤️ 👍

1st Thai wife, 11 weeks after meeting, married, 6 months commuting, though in TH more than USA, then 6 months later realized ... 'how stupid are you ?'

Got divorced, though still lived together for a while after.  Finally chucked her butt out.   Year or so later sold the house, kept the proceeds, (she wasn't involved) POA is a beautiful thing.   The rest is history :coffee1:

POA -power of attorney?

4 hours ago, save the frogs said:

just read the title ... you're DOOMED if you're looking for romance

relationships are only about romance the first date. 

after that point forward, it's a battlefield. 

Pat is the very best.

I love her.

Thai ladies enjoy romance if you provide BUT have no idea of how to be romantic.  They do not have any experience with the idea.  Consider that most Thais are brought up wam  bam keep hubby happy and just lay there.

Even Thai soaps have no idea how to show it on TV.  

Past GF got the romance and everything and enjoyed it. Her married friends were jealous and commented that their husbands did nothing for them.  I asked when the last time they did anything romantic for their hubby was, and they only got strange looks. 

• Like 1