Kodi boxes

carlyai

TX6 dual-band WIFI Bluetooth Android 9.0 4k network player 4G + 32G 

1049 baht  Lazada works fine.

Installed Kodi with Scrubs/The Crew. Cinema HDV3,  LiveNetTV.net, Brave browser VIPBox.lc for live sports and a few other bits.

Clean cache etc regularly.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/14/2024 at 5:41 PM, NowNow said:

Tell us what you know about 'shady falang' selling KODI boxes. I haven't ever heard nor seen such a phenomenon.

In fairness, a few years ago we had self-designated Authority on Android boxes jumping into these recurring threads, and it turned out he was indeed selling customized Android boxes, at a price. I heard of a similar guy through a member of the Expats club.

On 6/14/2024 at 5:41 PM, NowNow said:

So what are you saying, they install KODI on a Android box? Aren't most boxes supplied with a form of KODI anyway?

What they do is configure Kodi settings, install various currently working addons, and set it up to stream boring content the average expat might find of interest. Otherwise, they go thru the box and add/remove apps, and change or configure the launcher. Finally--this kills me--they may add their own branding, via editing a file or two.

In short, the kind of stuff a clueless, technically-challenged old retiree barely able to use a newfangled remote control would find helpful and, not knowing the real prices of these boxes, be willing to pay a premium for. They'll also offer tech support. 🙂

I hear that some of the Thai shops in the computer malls do something of the same, rather as they restore cracked images of Windows & software to PCs.

Edited by BigStar

On 6/14/2024 at 10:57 PM, KhunHeineken said:

Can you run Windows on your 1400 baht Android box?  No, I didn't think so. 

Our posters continue to delude themselves that the OP, and others, want to run Windows on their Android boxes or run Android on Windows boxes that cost 4 times the price of an Android box.

Here's the topic:

On 6/11/2024 at 6:30 PM, carlyai said:

Any recommendations on the best Android ones availabe now?

That is, a simple media box for easily (w/ launcher & remote) streaming and playing media files via Kodi. Period.

No mention whatsoever of these needs:

- A Windows backup box for my PC. OMG. Now, Alan Kay invented and designed the Dyabook in 1972, and Adam Osborne gave us the laptop in 1981. Laptop. Nor would I want to tie up my media box doing Windows PC tasks. Me, I also have a fast spare PC built from old parts. NO, I don't want to use it as a media box. 😉 

- A need for Windows software on the media box

- An air mouse and air keyboard (gag)

- Fooling around with Windows in general, dealing w/ the Windows interface & updates.

No confession in the OP of embarrassing ignorance--that needed righteous correction--that Windows can indeed run Kodi (IF one wants to run Windows) or that other devices can indeed stream or connect to a TV, YES, they can. Happy? Now, I still like and want my little Android media box.

Edited by BigStar

17 hours ago, BigStar said:

Our posters continue to delude themselves that the OP, and others, want to run Windows on their Android boxes or run Android on Windows boxes that cost 4 times the price of an Android box.

Here's the topic:

That is, a simple media box for easily (w/ launcher & remote) streaming and playing media files via Kodi. Period.

- A Windows backup box for my PC. OMG. Now, Alan Kay invented and designed the Dyabook in 1972, and Adam Osborne gave us the laptop in 1981. Laptop. Nor would I want to tie up my media box doing Windows PC tasks. Me, I also have a fast spare PC built from old parts. NO, I don't want to use it as a media box. 😉 

- Fooling around with Windows in general, dealing w/ the Windows interface & updates.

No confession in the OP of embarrassing ignorance--that needed righteous correction--that Windows can indeed run Kodi (IF one wants to run Windows) or that other devices can indeed stream or connect to a TV, YES, they can. Happy? Now, I still like and want my little Android media box.

Me too. 

With a Diploma in Electronics and Communications and Bachelor of Teaching (Professional and Vocational Education) +++. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/15/2024 at 5:39 AM, NowNow said:

Then discuss that. No one asked about anything else. Why should the OP buy three or four PCs instead of much cheaper Android boxes? Convince them.

First of all, the thread heading is "Kodi Boxes."  Kodi is software, not hardware, and it can run on different platforms. 

As people across the world invest more by upgrading to larger 4k TV's, sound bars, storage for hundreds of movies, and streaming of movies (Netflix etc) and sports, many have upgraded their little Android boxes that have served them so well to mini PC's with higher specs. 

How many people repurposed an old desktop or laptop into a media player? 

Some of the well known Android box manufacturers also started making mini PC's to diversify their product range. 

It depends on the needs and budget of the owner, but he may consider another device to a 1400 baht Android box that can do everything the Android box can do, but way more, and a lot faster. 

• Sad 1

On 6/15/2024 at 5:48 AM, NowNow said:

You want to compare the specifications to an item that is four times the price?? Does that make any sense to you?

Yeah, I do.  Like I said, you get what you pay for, and not everyone is a Cheap Charlie. 

Why don't you recommend this android box for the OP. it's only 343 baht?  By your standards, why should the OP pay 1400 baht?  :smile:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mxq-pro-box-2023-android-10-4khd-tv-box-box-ram8grom-128gb-wifi-disney-hotstar-youtube-netflix-tv-i5020260137-s21218237244.html?c=&channelLpJumpArgs=&clickTrackInfo=query%3Aandroid%2Bbox%3Bnid%3A5020260137%3Bsrc%3ALazadaMainSrp%3Brn%3A8c45031aef40258197e98eb24199c047%3Bregion%3Ath%3Bsku%3A5020260137_TH%3Bprice%3A343.36%3Bclient%3Adesktop%3Bsupplier_id%3A100189218170%3Bbiz_source%3Ah5_hp%3Bslot%3A1%3Butlog_bucket_id%3A470687%3Basc_category_id%3A5992%3Bitem_id%3A5020260137%3Bsku_id%3A21218237244%3Bshop_id%3A1976030&fastshipping=0&freeshipping=1&fs_ab=2&fuse_fs=&lang=en&location=Samut Prakan&price=343.36&priceCompare=skuId%3A21218237244%3Bsource%3Alazada-search-voucher%3Bsn%3A8c45031aef40258197e98eb24199c047%3BunionTrace%3A2ff62a9e17186849252094893e%3BoriginPrice%3A34336%3BvoucherPrice%3A34336%3BdisplayPrice%3A34336%3BsinglePromotionId%3A900000029498671%3BsingleToolCode%3AflashSale%3BvoucherPricePlugin%3A1%3BbuyerId%3A0%3Btimestamp%3A1718684925986&ratingscore=4.749478079331942&request_id=8c45031aef40258197e98eb24199c047&review=479&sale=1413&search=1&source=search&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1&stock=1

Why don't you take go back to take a look at my very first post in this thread where I recommended the ToX4.

The specifications can be found there.

Here again: As an alternative, for your described usage, take a look at a ToX4: https://trustonx.com/product/tox4-4gb-ram-32gb-nand-rockchip-3528-media-player/ Can be obtained for around 1400 baht plus postage. 

How does the Rockchip 3528 compare with a Core i3 or i5?  Yeah, I thought so.  :smile:

Can play all formats at up to a 4k 60Hz resolution. Again why should the OP pay four times the price in order to run Windows when there is no need for Windows in the first place??

Once again, you get what you pay for. 

You ask "why" well maybe the OP would like to run some Windows Apps as well.  If the OP is prepared to pay a little more, he can get a mini PC that does the lot.  If he's budget conscious, sure, go for a cheaper android box. 

I own both, because sometimes I run two screens steaming two different sports, at the same time.  

The mini PC's are so small now, the OP may consider getting one because it can do everything, and they have higher specs.  Different if they were 20,000 baht, but many of them as a lot cheaper now, as you say, only four times more the cost. 

26 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Yeah, I do.  Like I said, you get what you pay for, and not everyone is a Cheap Charlie. 

Why don't you recommend this android box for the OP. it's only 343 baht?  By your standards, why should the OP pay 1400 baht?  :smile:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mxq-pro-box-2023-android-10-4khd-tv-box-box-ram8grom-128gb-wifi-disney-hotstar-youtube-netflix-tv-i5020260137-s21218237244.html?c=&channelLpJumpArgs=&clickTrackInfo=query%3Aandroid%2Bbox%3Bnid%3A5020260137%3Bsrc%3ALazadaMainSrp%3Brn%3A8c45031aef40258197e98eb24199c047%3Bregion%3Ath%3Bsku%3A5020260137_TH%3Bprice%3A343.36%3Bclient%3Adesktop%3Bsupplier_id%3A100189218170%3Bbiz_source%3Ah5_hp%3Bslot%3A1%3Butlog_bucket_id%3A470687%3Basc_category_id%3A5992%3Bitem_id%3A5020260137%3Bsku_id%3A21218237244%3Bshop_id%3A1976030&fastshipping=0&freeshipping=1&fs_ab=2&fuse_fs=&lang=en&location=Samut Prakan&price=343.36&priceCompare=skuId%3A21218237244%3Bsource%3Alazada-search-voucher%3Bsn%3A8c45031aef40258197e98eb24199c047%3BunionTrace%3A2ff62a9e17186849252094893e%3BoriginPrice%3A34336%3BvoucherPrice%3A34336%3BdisplayPrice%3A34336%3BsinglePromotionId%3A900000029498671%3BsingleToolCode%3AflashSale%3BvoucherPricePlugin%3A1%3BbuyerId%3A0%3Btimestamp%3A1718684925986&ratingscore=4.749478079331942&request_id=8c45031aef40258197e98eb24199c047&review=479&sale=1413&search=1&source=search&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1&stock=1

How does the Rockchip 3528 compare with a Core i3 or i5?  Yeah, I thought so.  :smile:

Once again, you get what you pay for. 

You ask "why" well maybe the OP would like to run some Windows Apps as well.  If the OP is prepared to pay a little more, he can get a mini PC that does the lot.  If he's budget conscious, sure, go for a cheaper android box. 

I own both, because sometimes I run two screens steaming two different sports, at the same time.  

The mini PC's are so small now, the OP may consider getting one because it can do everything, and they have higher specs.  Different if they were 20,000 baht, but many of them as a lot cheaper now, as you say, only four times more the cost. 

Are you still on with this? ☺️

I don't even need to click through your link to understand the 8GB RAM 128GB ROM blah blah blah for 343 baht is clearly fake. So no, I wouldn't recommend it. 

The Rockchip 3528 does not need to be compared with an i3 nor i5 because it is not required to do the same thing. It isn't required to run Windows. Much like Chromebooks needed lesser specs to run them. 

The boxes are specified to run the necessary tasks, rather than running Windows. So again, no need to pay for times the price for something that is not needed.

A bit like someone using their bicycle or scooter to pop down to the local shop instead of getting the car out of the garage. We have a tool more suitable to the task. Sledgehammer to crack a nut ring any bells for you?

So let's get back to the actual tasks. 

What can your Mini PC do that the 1400 baht cannot with regard to the criteria provided by the OP? Running Windows is not part of the criteria, so no need to mention that again.

You can tell us what you can do and then we can compare.

All of your attempts at insults and trying to be smart will fall flat and you will just end up with egg on your face, so less of that please.

Let's stick to the topic shall we? KODI boxes.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, NowNow said:

Are you still on with this?

Are you still trying to sell your cheap rubbish "kodi" aka simple android boxes "fully loaded" of course? 

Let's stick to the topic shall we? KODI boxes.

Kodi is no a box, it's an app / program.  What people decide to run it on is up to them, and their budget, but stop trying to mislead people that "kodi" only runs on a specific platform and / or hardware. 

So again, no need to pay for times the price for something that is not needed.

A bit like someone using their bicycle or scooter to pop down to the local shop instead of getting the car out of the garage. We have a tool more suitable to the task. Sledgehammer to crack a nut ring any bells for you?

So, the 343 baht box should be fine, right? 

I guess that means you don't get to sell your 1400 baht boxes that you pass off as "kodi boxes."  :smile:

A bit like riding the bicycle or scooter to pop down to the local shop, when you can afford to drive an air conditioned car.  The car being a more suitable tool for all climatic conditions, and comfort.  What a stupid comparison.

Like I said, you get what you pay for, and not everyone is a Cheap Charlie. 

On 6/15/2024 at 6:08 AM, NowNow said:

Personally, I think you are just tying yourself up in knots.

Personally, I think you are talking up cheap android boxes because you are selling them,

They want a few devices dotted around the home. So is your suggestion that they buy four PCs? 

Depends what each user needs each device to in the home. 

Is your suggestion cheap 1400 baht android rubbish boxes "dotted around the home?" 

If they were in the market for a PC, then of course a Mini PC might be a viable option

How do you know what market the OP is in?

But to buy a PC costing four times more, just for the tasks described doesn't seem like good advice and even less so when you cannot justify it in terms of performance of those tasks.

That is absolute rubbish about performance. 

A Core i3 or i5 in a mini PC sh*ts all over a 1400 baht android box, and you know it.   

If that's all the OP can afford, by all means, buy a cheap android box.  By your advice, he should buy a 343 baht android box, and not get ripped of by someone like you selling an android box for 3 times the cost. 

A 343 baht box, like in the link I posted, can run Kodi, then again, just about everything can run Kodi, but it seems you don't care how well Kodi runs, just as long a it runs. 

On 6/15/2024 at 10:43 AM, MangoKorat said:

For me its mainly BBC News and Formula 1 when I'm away. WS Pro has them both.  I would never subscribe to the Thai channel that carries F1......can't remember if its Fox or True. What I do remember is them breaking for adverts in the middle of a race - sacriledge! I can find F1 after the event elsewhere but not live. Never been able to get BBC News on anything other than WS Pro. At home (UK) - more or less the same with a few movies and series thrown in.

I have multiple streaming sources, some paid, some not, to allow me to get pretty much whatever I want, whenever I want, from all around the world.  

Keep saying it, you get what you pay for. 

On 6/17/2024 at 7:59 AM, BigStar said:

Here's the topic:

The OP heading is "Kodi boxes." 

Kodi can run on an old secondhand laptop.  Geez, Kodi can even run on an old android phone, cast to a smart TV.

There's no such thing as a Kodi box.  Kodi is software that can run on multiple platforms, yet some members mislead the readers that it can only be run on an android box, and only on a cheap android box.  :smile:

Of course, we can keep suggesting the cheapest option for the OP, which is typical of Thai expats, and Buddha forbid, anyone dare suggest an option that is 4 times more costly, despite it being 10 times better.  :cheesy:

Oh, and Windows can run an android emulator, thus, both, whilst an android box can only run android.

Once again, I am not talking about 1400 baht v 20,000 baht.  One can get mini PC for cheap, and I have posted a link to just one of them. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Personally, I think you are talking up cheap android boxes because you are selling them,

Depends what each user needs each device to in the home. 

Is your suggestion cheap 1400 baht android rubbish boxes "dotted around the home?" 

How do you know what market the OP is in?

That is absolute rubbish about performance. 

A Core i3 or i5 in a mini PC sh*ts all over a 1400 baht android box, and you know it.   

If that's all the OP can afford, by all means, buy a cheap android box.  By your advice, he should buy a 343 baht android box, and not get ripped of by someone like you selling an android box for 3 times the cost. 

A 343 baht box, like in the link I posted, can run Kodi, then again, just about everything can run Kodi, but it seems you don't care how well Kodi runs, just as long a it runs. 

Why do you insist on doing this to yourself?? Ranting like a crazy person...

So you are suggesting that both @gargamon and I are selling the ToX 4 box, at 1400 baht? Because that's what he paid for his, via Aliexpress. So you must be suggesting that we are selling them via AliExpress or that we are Trust On X. How do we direct people to our shop, we haven't provided any links. 😊

Be careful, you might fall into the rabbit burrow that you are creating.

How do I know what the OP wants?

They told us: 

"Last TV box I bought was an S Box. Good but I need a couple more newer ones. 

Watching mainly Kodi and home country channels thru VPN on my TV

Any recommendations on the best Android ones available now?"

i3 & i5 makes no difference, the recommended box can play 4k media at 60fps smoothly. That's also the limit of your i3 & i5 Mini PCs at four times the cost. A unnecessary cost since the OP requested information on Android boxes.

The 343 baht box cannot play 4k media and will likely be 'laggy' with lesser media and in general. Therefore not suitable to be recommended for use with KODI. The TOX4 is suitable, as is the device eventually obtained by the OP, the HK1 RBOX K8. They probably paid around 1000 baht for theirs. So throughout this thread you have been labelling the OP as a 'Cheap Charlie'. Bar girl talk..

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Kodi can run on an old secondhand laptop.  Geez, Kodi can even run on an old android phone, cast to a smart TV.

There's no such thing as a Kodi box.  Kodi is software that can run on multiple platforms, yet some members mislead the readers that it can only be run on an android box, and only on a cheap android box.  :smile:

Of course, we can keep suggesting the cheapest option for the OP, which is typical of Thai expats, and Buddha forbid, anyone dare suggest an option that is 4 times more costly, despite it being 10 times better.  :cheesy:

Oh, and Windows can run an android emulator, thus, both, whilst an android box can only run android.

Once again, I am not talking about 1400 baht v 20,000 baht.  One can get mini PC for cheap, and I have posted a link to just one of them. 

It may run, but it will be limited to the capabilities of the laptop. Try buying a second hand laptop for 1400 baht and then try to run KODI on it. It will be a painful experience for you.

You seem to be studiously avoiding listing how your 4x more expensive Mini PC is better at the tasks mentioned by the OP. You keeping going on about Windows, even though the OP expressly asked about Android boxes.  Their HK1 RBOX K8 is listed on Lazada at 1085 baht for the 4GB RAM 64GB storage version. So just 15% of the cost of your Mini PC suggestion. 

Why should they pay more?

Why don't you admit, at least to yourself, that you made a mistake? Stop compounding it with increasingly shrill behaviour.

• Love It 1

NO such thing as a Kodi Box

Kodi is available as a native application for Android, Linux, Mac OS X, iOS and Windows operating systems, running on most common processor architectures.

I have had for many years Kodi on my 2 Windows Laptops one on XP still , the other on Win 7 + Desktop PC Win 10 Pro + on my 2 Android Boxes

32 minutes ago, ignis said:

Kodi is available as a native application for Android, Linux, Mac OS X, iOS and Windows operating systems, running on most common processor architectures.

I have had for many years Kodi on my 2 Windows Laptops one on XP still , the other on Win 7 + Desktop PC Win 10 Pro + on my 2 Android Boxes

We all understand that the OP meant an Android box in order to use with KODI and with VPN to watch programs from their home country.

How do we know? Because they told us. They asked about Android boxes.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

And the OP then elaborated, in his post, on what kind of Kodi box he wants. Study this carefully:

On 6/11/2024 at 6:30 PM, carlyai said:

Last TV box I bought was an S Box. Good but I need a couple more newer ones. 

Any recommendations on the best Android ones availabe now?

Had an S, was happy, but now it's too old. Wants newer ones like that. Wants, quite specifically,

Android ones

Got that now? Repeat: Android ones. Just reading a topic heading is too simple-minded and leads to misinterpretation, like yours, and the usual repeat loop.

Of course, we can keep suggesting the cheapest option for the OP, which is typical of Thai expats,

No one suggested the cheapest option. A made-up straw man. 

some members mislead the readers that it can only be run on an android box

No one has said, suggested, or even implied any such thing. That's merely another straw man argument repeated over and over and over.

Buddha forbid, anyone dare suggest an option that is 4 times more costly, despite it being 10 times better. 

Your option is off-topic. OP wants an Android box (like the old S) for a particular purpose. You haven't suggested a box better for that particular purpose, but merely a different kind of box, different OS, at 4 times the cost with a lot of features superfluous for the particular purpose.

And the OP has rightly rejected that irrelevant suggestion, while you're trapped in the same loop. All your off-topic time-wasting posts should be removed, IMO. 

But if one merely wants Android to fulfill a narrow particular purpose, one would hardly want or need to waste money on a Windows box and fool around with an emulator. Better just to spend the difference on a PC upgrade. Or just hookers and blow and call it day.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/19/2024 at 1:57 AM, NowNow said:

Why do you insist on doing this to yourself??

Why do insist on try to sell your cheap rubbish 1400 baht android boxes on this forum? 

So you are suggesting that both @gargamon and I are selling the ToX 4 box, at 1400 baht? Because that's what he paid for his, via Aliexpress. So you must be suggesting that we are selling them via AliExpress or that we are Trust On X. How do we direct people to our shop, we haven't provided any links. 😊

Be careful, you might fall into the rabbit burrow that you are creating.

You sell them to expats through word of mouth.  Mostly older expats who don't know better. 

How do I know what the OP wants?

They told us: 

"Last TV box I bought was an S Box. Good but I need a couple more newer ones. 

Any recommendations on the best Android ones available now?"

OP heading is "Kodi boxes." 

Maybe you can tell us all what, exactly, is a "Kodi box?" 

Is "Kodi" a company that make boxes?  :smile:

i3 & i5 makes no difference, the recommended box can play 4k media at 60fps smoothly. That's also the limit of your i3 & i5 Mini PCs at four times the cost. A unnecessary cost since the OP requested information on Android boxes.

Can it play Windows apps?  No.  I didn't think so.

The 343 baht box cannot play 4k media and will likely be 'laggy' with lesser media and in general. Therefore not suitable to be recommended for use with KODI. The TOX4 is suitable, as is the device eventually obtained by the OP, the HK1 RBOX K8. They probably paid around 1000 baht for theirs. So throughout this thread you have been labelling the OP as a 'Cheap Charlie'. Bar girl talk..

Inferior product. 

I simply commented that if one was happy to pay a little more, and as shown, that's not 20,000 baht more, one can buy a mini PC that can do Kodi, Android through an emulator, and is around the same size, possibly smaller, and has a lot more "grunt."  Something you have never addressed.  

On 6/19/2024 at 2:08 AM, NowNow said:

It may run, but it will be limited to the capabilities of the laptop. Try buying a second hand laptop for 1400 baht and then try to run KODI on it. It will be a painful experience for you.

Rubbish.

My hardware is now secondhand because I have owned it for a while and Kodi runs fine on it. 

You seem to be studiously avoiding listing how your 4x more expensive Mini PC is better at the tasks mentioned by the OP. You keeping going on about Windows, even though the OP expressly asked about Android boxes.  Their HK1 RBOX K8 is listed on Lazada at 1085 baht for the 4GB RAM 64GB storage version. So just 15% of the cost of your Mini PC suggestion. 

I'm not avoiding anything. 

"4x more" is still cheap, but as I said, if that's out of someone's budget, fine.

How many times do I have to say it?  You get what you pay for.   

Why should they pay more?

Why don't you admit, at least to yourself, that you made a mistake? Stop compounding it with increasingly shrill behaviour.

No mistake here. 

Why pay more you ask, well, because you get more for your money, and it's still cheap anyway.  

A lot of these android boxes can not update to the latest android OS, but a mini PC with Blue Stacks running can.  As app developers no longer support older android versions, the box becomes useless.  Already happening now with my android box that I use as a secondary streaming device.  One day, I'll have to throw it out and upgrade.  Wouldn't happen with a mini PC because the emulator get updates. 

You keep banging on about price.  No everyone buys the cheapest, base model tech. 

On 6/19/2024 at 2:33 AM, ignis said:

Exactly.

Correct.

Same.  The PC running Kodi on my home entertainment system is not new, but easily does Kodi, and a whole lot more.  For the second screen / stream I have an older android box, but it's rarely needed. 

I have never said a 1400 baht android box can not run Kodi.  What I have said, for not much more, which another member debates on what is "not much more" you can buy a device that does a lot more than the 1400 baht android box can do. 

The member keeps banging on about "4x more" but 4x of not much is still not much, so why not get a superior product?   

On 6/19/2024 at 3:07 AM, NowNow said:

We all understand that the OP meant an Android box in order to use with KODI and with VPN to watch programs from their home country.

How do we know? Because they told us. They asked about Android boxes.

Sure, but I suggested an alternative, and you criticized it based on nothing else but price. 

Price aside, is there anything else you can criticize about my suggested alternative? 

Geez, people may even have an old computer that needs upgrading.  The old computer can become their Kodi media player and they buy a new computer.  Many scenarios possible other than just buying one of your rubbish 1400 baht android boxes. 

On 6/19/2024 at 7:02 AM, BigStar said:

And the OP then elaborated, in his post, on what kind of Kodi box he wants.

No such thing as a "Kodi box." 

Can you post a link for a "Kodi box" for sale? 

Had an S, was happy, but now it's too old. Wants newer ones like that.

If it was a mini PC, just update the android emulator which emulates the latest android OS, thus, it's never "too old." 

No one suggested the cheapest option.

A member keeps banging on about a mini PC costing "4x more." 

As said, 4x of not much is still not much. 

No one has said, suggested, or even implied any such thing.

The member in question did not discuss that "Kodi" can be run on different platforms.  Very misleading to the OP. 

Your option is off-topic.

No, it's not.  I merely put forward an alternative. 

If I started a thread, "Any suggestions for a mini PC" would you recommend an android box to me?  :cheesy:

But if one merely wants Android to fulfill a narrow particular purpose, one would hardly want or need to waste money on a Windows box and fool around with an emulator. Better just to spend the difference on a PC upgrade. Or just hookers and blow and call it day.

That "narrow particular purpose" could be expanded, for not that much more money, and offer longevity.  Simple, really, yet lost on some here. 

Some people really need to get over themselves and their arrogance.  Anyone with common sense knows what a Kodi box refers too.  Just search it plenty of Ads and reports referring to these boxes as "Kodi boxes".   Unless one is so dumb they cannot figure it out.

20240621_122950.jpg

Edited by bkk6060
  • Thanks 1

Problem is buying a loaded Kodi box, it has been Illegal for a Seller to sell a loaded Kodi Box from 2018 in many part of Europe, and illegal here in Thailand since 2020 

So you are buying a Android box = legal, what Apps you put in the box is up to you......... last Android 10 box I bought here there was NOTHING in Kodi icon up to me to put what apps I wanted......  do find the old XBMC Apps was far easier to use

So is it a Android Box  or a Kodi Box or a Media Player ?

Legal  so say Kodi Box has nothing on it, yet million of people still call it a Kodi Box 😖

10 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Rubbish.

My hardware is now secondhand because I have owned it for a while and Kodi runs fine on it. 

I'm not avoiding anything. 

"4x more" is still cheap, but as I said, if that's out of someone's budget, fine.

How many times do I have to say it?  You get what you pay for.   

No mistake here. 

Why pay more you ask, well, because you get more for your money, and it's still cheap anyway.  

A lot of these android boxes can not update to the latest android OS, but a mini PC with Blue Stacks running can.  As app developers no longer support older android versions, the box becomes useless.  Already happening now with my android box that I use as a secondary streaming device.  One day, I'll have to throw it out and upgrade.  Wouldn't happen with a mini PC because the emulator get updates. 

You keep banging on about price.  No everyone buys the cheapest, base model tech. 

Can your laptop play and stream 4k video? If so, would you sell it for 1400 baht?

I am still using the Android box I bought years ago with Android 9. No issues with 'app developers no longer supporting...' So boxes with Android 13 should be ok for many years.

OP doesn't need to run Windows and your 4x the cost mini PC does not outperform the Android box for when it comes to the criteria supplied by the OP.

It's you 'banging on' on price. Everyone else is discussing devices suitable to the task. Android box does the job. Running Windows is not part of the criteria, so no need to spend 4x more to get the same result. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Sure, but I suggested an alternative, and you criticized it based on nothing else but price. 

Price aside, is there anything else you can criticize about my suggested alternative? 

Geez, people may even have an old computer that needs upgrading.  The old computer can become their Kodi media player and they buy a new computer.  Many scenarios possible other than just buying one of your rubbish 1400 baht android boxes. 

No, price has nothing to do with it. @BigStar mentioned the nVidia Shield, that's more expensive than your mini PC but overkill for what is needed. The 1200 to 1400 baht Android box will easily cover what is needed.

No need for you to lose your marbles over it.

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, ignis said:

Problem is buying a loaded Kodi box, it has been Illegal for a Seller to sell a loaded Kodi Box from 2018 in many part of Europe, and illegal here in Thailand since 2020 

So you are buying a Android box = legal, what Apps you put in the box is up to you......... last Android 10 box I bought here there was NOTHING in Kodi icon up to me to put what apps I wanted......  do find the old XBMC Apps was far easier to use

So is it a Android Box  or a Kodi Box or a Media Player ?

Legal  so say Kodi Box has nothing on it, yet million of people still call it a Kodi Box 😖

Actually most Android Boxes that I seen have a form of KODI installed. It's not always called KODI. If they call it a KODI box that the likelihood is that there are purchasing it in order to run KODI. Hence...KODI box. No need to be pedantic about it.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Some people really need to get over themselves and their arrogance.  Anyone with common sense knows what a Kodi box refers too.  Just search it plenty of Ads and reports referring to these boxes as "Kodi boxes".   Unless one is so dumb they cannot figure it out.

Well said, but I think KhunH is just bored and likes to pontificate, even if it does make him sound out of touch or a bit retarded (or both as in this case).

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

20 years ago had all TV via a Sat Dish, still have the 3 x dish's on the house 2 x small pointed at different Satellites back in the day + a Motorized 3 m dish, worked well. then came TV over the internet and the Satellites programs moved/stopped working.

No option but buy a box Android 3 box  back then. updated the box a few times.....  For years have the same TV  programs  on the Android box + PC [Monitor is 32"]  so fine....... Somehow it is easier and faster to use on PC .. maybe because better faster CPU ? better Graphics card ? far more Ram ?

So can understand why some would rather use a Mini PC over a Android box.....  these days can download the APK in Android or Windows or for that matter Linux or macOS

46 minutes ago, ignis said:

20 years ago had all TV via a Sat Dish, still have the 3 x dish's on the house 2 x small pointed at different Satellites back in the day + a Motorized 3 m dish, worked well. then came TV over the internet and the Satellites programs moved/stopped working.

No option but buy a box Android 3 box  back then. updated the box a few times.....  For years have the same TV  programs  on the Android box + PC [Monitor is 32"]  so fine....... Somehow it is easier and faster to use on PC .. maybe because better faster CPU ? better Graphics card ? far more Ram ?

So can understand why some would rather use a Mini PC over a Android box.....  these days can download the APK in Android or Windows or for that matter Linux or macOS

If it's easier/faster to use on your PC, then you purchased an Android box barely fit for purpose.

Booting into Windows and then into Android and then on to your applications will not be easier and faster than just turning on your Android box. 

We can time it if you like. 

Which sequences are you claiming are easier and faster?

• Agree 1