Childhood, interrupted: 12-year-old Toby’s life with long Covid

Screenshot_5.jpg.a0f1f8e32b741f3ef20b5627c8107c23.jpg

More than 110,000 children in England and Scotland are still suffering. For Toby, it has meant pain, crushing fatigue and sadness – as well as months off school

Toby’s having a good day. He even went to school. “I haven’t really been in for the last two or three months, but the last two weeks I’ve gone in during the lunchtime. Not to go into any lesson but for form time.” What was it like? Was it good to see people? “It was amazing,” he smiles, especially to see his best mate, Louis, even if he does see Louis most days online – they play Minecraft together.

Toby got Covid in January 2022 and hasn’t been well since. His symptoms include pains, crushing fatigue, dysautonomia (racing heart on standing), often the inability to walk more than 50 metres or stand for long (they now have a wheelchair). And worst of all is post-exertional malaise (PEM), so that any activity he does manage – physical or mental – will come back and knock him out later, for days or longer.

When Toby didn’t get better, he was referred to an NHS long Covid clinic. They said he would get better, although it might take a few months. “No one says that any more,” says Sarah.

(more)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/jun/12/childhood-interrupted-12-year-old-tobys-life-with-long-covid

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, stoner said:

There is also the detremental effects the lock down and mask wearing had and will have on children for a long time to come. 

They need to also address that. 

You are concerned about life saving preventive measures?

Did you want more kids to get Long COVID?

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You are concerned about life saving preventive measures?

Did you want more kids to get Long COVID?

vs 100's of millions of children having their learning stunted and speech etc. i would say the greater good would say yes. do you want 100's of millions of kids to have lifelong issues ? see how i did that ? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

More nonsense.

So called 'Long Covid' includes any and every symptom you could think of.

Congrats to these kids for leveraging the adult's BS to get out of school 👍

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, stoner said:

There is also the detremental effects the lock down and mask wearing had and will have on children for a long time to come. 

They need to also address that. 

I bet all these kids were jabbed too but obvs it's not that right?

Right?

👀

Edited by BigBruv
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, stoner said:

vs 100's of millions of children having their learning stunted and speech etc. i would say the greater good would say yes. do you want 100's of millions of kids to have lifelong issues ? see how i did that ? 

Yes, you departed from actual reality, where masks and lockdowns didn't have the impact you think they did.

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Yes, you departed from actual reality, where masks and lockdowns didn't have the impact you think they did.

ok if you say so.

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

masks and lockdowns didn't have the impact you think they did.

or jabs 💉

bet all these kids were jabbed too but obvs so called 'lOnG cOvId' is nothing to do with jabs right?

Right?

👀

Edited by BigBruv

Insidious thing that Long Covid.  I got it 2 years before I got Covid.   It's that dangerous.

Coincidentally, it was the day after my 2nd Pfizer.  To this day, the debilitating effects have altered my life. (Edit:  That's why I follow these stories, hoping they'll eventually come up with a treatment)

The studies and stories need to specify whether the kids were jabbed.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...