Where to buy GOOD tomatoes?

I don't know where you live , but I am in Chiang mai ,the wife

was going to the market this morning ,so I said get me some

nice tomatoes , she came back with 4 large ripe tomatoes

still on the vine , 50 Baht she said she paid for them. 

look around the markets near you they may have some.

regards Worgeordie

Isn´t it nice that we can always come to Thailand and complain about something. It can be anything. Here it´s tomatoes and cucumbers. Really dudes! What is it tomorrow? Is the pineapples too sweet or the the garlic has to big cloves?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Isn´t it nice that we can always come to Thailand and complain about something. It can be anything. Here it´s tomatoes and cucumbers. Really dudes! What is it tomorrow? Is the pineapples too sweet or the the garlic has to big cloves?

Now you're complaining 🙄 

Tops in Central, or wherever you might find them, have some pretty decent tomatoes. yellow and red cherry tomatoes, which aren't too bad, especially in a salad. I'm from New Jersey, so I've had the about the best you can find. The local ones aren't great for salad, but most are used for somtam so the heat makes most of it taste the same anyway. I've been finding more farang foods but mostly online, like Villa, Paleo, Tops, etc, but they do cost. The cukes aren't the greatest either, but not that bad.

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Not really. Only asking what it will be next, without laying negative attributes to the items.

Its actually a valid question...     I've struggled to find decent tomatoes here....   

Thats not the 'Thai-bash' you seem to imply and defend against, its just an observation - sometimes there's nothing more to it than that.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its actually a valid question...     I've struggled to find decent tomatoes here....   

Thats not the 'Thai-bash' you seem to imply and defend against, its just an observation - sometimes there's nothing more to it than that.

Ok, but I just go out of my own experiences. If I go to the regular market, it will mostly be hard to find great tomatoes. fair and good will usually not be a problem. However, if I want great tomatoes, there is 2 choices. I can plant myself or I can drive 35 km to get them. Still they are there, and they can be found. 🙂 

I don't understand why folks are having trouble finding good tomatoes. My wife buys all our fresh produce on the local markets and the ones she serves up are excellent. 

In fact good tomatoes are now being produced on small holdings around our village. It's all part of crop diversification away from the 'rice only culture'. And they too are very nice.

8 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

However, if I want great tomatoes, there is 2 choices. I can plant myself or I can drive 35 km to get them. Still they are there, and they can be found. 🙂 

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I don't understand why folks are having trouble finding good tomatoes. My wife buys all our fresh produce on the local markets and the ones she serves up are excellent. 

In fact good tomatoes are now being produced on small holdings around our village. It's all part of crop diversification away from the 'rice only culture'. And they too are very nice.

To be fair - it was 2020 when I last attempted to get hold of quality tomatoes to make the base sauce for a butter chicken....     I tried villa and gourmet markets, but even visibly the offering was poor.

I hardly do any shopping anyway - Wife gets most of the groceries from Tops...  Its not a big issue for me, but its just something I've noticed... the Tomatoes here are not really very good (IMO of course).

Neither are the strawberries etc.... conversely, mangoes and pineapples are amazing !