Temple’s Electricity Bill Mystery: Abbot Confounded by Asterisks

webfact

gal-9445406-20240619071046-3190669.jpg

The abbot of Wat Pa Amphawan Khunanusorn in Buriram found himself perplexed when the temple’s latest electricity bill lacked both the FT charge and the total amount due, displaying only asterisks instead.

This incongruous bill has left the abbot and the temple’s supporters unsure of how to proceed with the payment.

Phra Ajarn Lesak Varrasapho, the abbot of Wat Pa Amphawan Khunanusorn in Nang Rong District, took to social media to express his bewilderment. He posted an image of the bill along with a puzzled message: “The electricity bill is 10,000 baht, but Wat Pa Amphawan… pays 0 baht… confused… dazed…”

When reporters visited the temple to investigate, Phra Ajarn Lesak showed them the infamous bill for May, which conspicuously lacked both an FT charge and a total payment amount.

20240618220003-lyrjtq.jpg

Picture courtesy: Sanook

Normally, the temple pays between 3,000 to 4,000 baht each month, with this amount fluctuating based on the number of religious activities, funerals, or training sessions conducted.

The temple covers these costs through donations from the local community. Typically, the electricity bill is handed over to donors who contribute towards these expenses. However, due to the mysterious asterisks on the latest bill, it remains unclear how much the temple actually owes.

Phra Ajarn Lesak plans to take the bewildering bill to the electricity authority for clarification. He hopes to find out what caused the error and to determine the correct amount owed for the month. The abbot also urges officials to meticulously check bills before issuing them to avoid such confusion in the future.

The incident has highlighted the importance of accurate billing and the potential complications that can arise from even minor errors. 

Picture courtesy: Sanook

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-19

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The temple covers these costs through donations from the local community. Typically, the electricity bill is handed over to donors who contribute towards these expenses.

Nice.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Phra Ajarn Lesak plans to take the bewildering bill to the electricity authority for clarification........

Which any normal person would have done in the first place. 🙄

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Typically, the electricity bill is handed over to donors who contribute towards these expenses.

With all the money these temples take in, they don't even pay the electricity bills themselves?.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, loong said:

With all the money these temples take in, they don't even pay the electricity bills themselves?.

I have 2 brother in laws monks, I give them nothing, both are around 30 years younger than me, they both have skills in the building industry. If They have cash flow problems, then they need to change their career paths.

Over the 14 years we've lived in this particular house I've seen a few of these, always on the floor, underneath the box they put the real bill in. I'd always assumed they were generated when the meter reader wanted to check the paper alignment before printing the actual bill.

• Thanks 1