Avoid AGODA

Angus55

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

That's easy enough: the hotel management for allowing their staff to blame agoda when, by their own admission, they know that they "always makes mistakes". The hotel, by insisting it was all agoda's fault, basically insisted that you were an idiot for using them.

Agoda has no way to add a free breakfast to a hotel's offer, either mistakenly or dishonestly. They display the room rates and offers given them by the hotel. Maybe the hotel did offer included breakfast previously, changed that offer and either haven't updated their agoda listing or agoda has missed the change. Nevertheless, the hotel hasn't done anything about it, knows there's an issue but preferring the "always makes mistakes" excuse while taking advantage of customers being wrongly advised.

What she actually said was that their hotel does not list on Agoda because of problems in the past. She said they only use booking.com. She showed me the reservation and, indeed, it did come from booking.com although I had made it through Agoda.  And when I checked the listing on booking.com later, breakfast was not included.

So i  can only assume that the hotel made the listing on booking.com, which then listed it on Agoda. Agoda is strange in many respects though. For example, prices will differ depending on how you access the site. For example, in the past, I've seen different prices listed if I go directly to the site or access it through a third party like google maps. And of course it's well known that prices change depending on your location. I have also seen hotels that are listed as sold out but I could find a booking if I went through a third party site. Given the various permutations, I wouldn't be surprised if they're making mistakes.

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Agoda, booking, and kayak are all owned by the same corporation.

It's amazing that Booking can be so good while Agoda can be so bad.  Booking gives you the total price when you search.  Agoda doesn't include taxes and fees in their quoted price.  Agoda is useless if you have a complaint.  A couple of Indians in a call center who just parrot the company line.  Booking isn't much better with the customer service but at least you know what you're paying.

12 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

I booked a hotel on Agoda that clearly stated that breakfast was included. When I got to the hotel, they told me no breakfast . I showed them the Agoda confirmation and they told me that they never use Agoda due to problems in the past and always use Booking.com. In fact, I had made the booking over Agoda but the hotel had received the booking from Booking.com.  I told them it was basically the same company but they insisted that Agoda always makes mistakes.

As it turned out, the breakfast was terrible so I didn't really care but I still had to wonder who was at fault.

Hotel was lying.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LALes said:

It's amazing that Booking can be so good while Agoda can be so bad.  Booking gives you the total price when you search.  Agoda doesn't include taxes and fees in their quoted price.  Agoda is useless if you have a complaint.  A couple of Indians in a call center who just parrot the company line.  Booking isn't much better with the customer service but at least you know what you're paying.

You can change price setting to include tax on Agoda too. They target Asians and they fall for those tricks, fake discounts, popups, hidden taxes.

Even I went to buy mattress and asked lady how come there's 75% discount. Seller said it's for Thais, they like big discounts but it's not real. Original price is random.

• Like 1