How strict is Thai airways with carry on weight?

gargamon

I'm taking a trip to the Philippines on Thai airways and would like to know if they're as bad as air asia or Cebu pathetic checking carry-on weights. Do they weigh carry-ons at the check in counter or the gate? Info for both directions would be helpful.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, arick said:

They're not strict at all because you get free checkin luggage either 20 kilos or 25 kilos.

The question is about the carry-on, not the checked bag. I have a regular carry-on and a laptop bag. I'm concerned that the two bags will be an issue.

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

The question is about the carry-on, not the checked bag. I have a regular carry-on and a laptop bag. I'm concerned that the two bags will be an issue.

I think there is a certain amount of luck in not coming across a "Jobsworth" at check in.

I have flown with Emirates quite a bit and never had a problem with carry on baggage. A couple of weeks ago coming back from the UK the guy at checkin weighed the carry on baggage separately. My wife had 9Kg and was told too heavy, she opened her bag, I put some stuff in my pockets and she did the same, then told ok, the mind boggles.

On the 2 item  issue I think you would be ok, I think other than the "budgets", most see the laptop a bit like a ladies handbag rather than actual baggage. I have done that a few times without question.

I usually travel with only carry on and it has never been weighed, internationally or domestically on Thai. There is little incentive for them to weigh it since, unlike discount carriers, they include a free checked bag.

For low cost carriers, if your carry on is overweight they earn money when they force you to check it. For Thai, if found to be overweight you could just say, "ok, check it", which would cause them extra work, but not generate an extra baggage fee since one checked bag is free. 

3 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

I usually travel with only carry on and it has never been weighed, internationally or domestically on Thai. There is little incentive for them to weigh it since, unlike discount carriers, they include a free checked bag.

For low cost carriers, if your carry on is overweight they earn money when they force you to check it. For Thai, if found to be overweight you could just say, "ok, check it", which would cause them extra work, but not generate an extra baggage fee since one checked bag is free. 

Even though I'm not planning on checking a bag, but could if required, I was hoping to take my carry-on and laptop bag in the cabin so I didn't need to wait for luggage at the destination. I refuse to fly the low cost carriers due to this nonsense. It turns out buying the Thai round trip ticket on expedia was comparable to flying air asia or cebu pacific, with departures around noon, not 2am like the low costs.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2024 at 9:50 AM, gargamon said:

I'm taking a trip to the Philippines on Thai airways and would like to know if they're as bad as air asia or Cebu pathetic checking carry-on weights. Do they weigh carry-ons at the check in counter or the gate? Info for both directions would be helpful.

Thanks.

As you would normally have a 20 kg baggage allowance with Thai Airways, IF you want to take carry on only, perhaps the sensible option is to pack for Plan A while allowing for Plan B.

i.e. Pack what you want with the intention of 'carrying on'... But allow for the possibility of not being permitted due to size, weight...  and be prepared to check your luggage in (don't pack valuables, or be prepared to have them in a second smaller carry on bag).

In my experience Thai Airways are less neurotic about carry on limits - but I think it simply comes down to who is at the check-in counter... If someone wants to be difficult they could be.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, harryviking said:

On Qatar Airways I get 30 kilo on my way to Thailand and only 25 when going back! WHY?? Normally we carry MORE when returning due to shopping than when we travel to Thailand!! I find it quite dumb and it should be changed!! By the way, a few (2-3) kilo extra wont create any problems. 

A very very simple answer to that one... 

Its because of ticketing class of the seat you have purchased. 

Outbound - you have purchased a 'Economy Convenience' (30 kgs)

Return - you have purchased a 'Economy Classic' (25 kgs)

That was probably all that was available at the time, the cheaper 'Economy Classic' would usually sell out earlier. 

IF you wanted to... You could have purchased 'Economy Convenience' (30 kgs) on the return too.

Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 10.21.13.png

On 6/28/2024 at 1:50 PM, gargamon said:

Thanks.

They have set a  Baggage Policy, Just read that, They do some Spot checks . 

Be smart stick to the right weight.

BAGGAGE POLICY

Free Baggage

Carry on Baggage

Carry-on Baggage

In addition to the checked baggage allowance, each passenger is allowed to hand carry one baggage at maximum length 56 cm (22 inches), width 45 cm (18 inches), thickness 25 cm (10 inches). These dimensions include wheels, handles, and side pockets. Total weight of the carry-on baggage must not exceed seven kg (15 lb).Passengers are required to place the baggage in the overhead compartment or under the seat in front of them.

Passengers can bring the following items free of charge:

• Handbag/wallet/purse with the maximum length 37.5 cm (15 inches), width 25 cm (10 inches), depth 12.5 cm (5 inches), or the total of three dimensions do not exceed 75 cm (30 inches) with the total weight not exceeding 1.5kgs(3.3lb). Notebooks, or portable personal computers are also applied with this condition.
  • Walking sticks (crutches) used by elderly passengers, sick passengers, and handicapped passengers
  • Camera or small binoculars
  • Infant food

Note: Spot check may be performed against the test unit and/or weighing machine at the check-in counter and/or at the boarding gate to ensure compliance to these regulations.

Aftermarket Travel Gadgets

Other than equipment installed or supplied on the aircraft by THAI, passengers own equipment/devices/travel gadgets such as personal air purifier/ionizers, seat-recline preventer, knee defender, inflight beds e.g. Bed Box ,Jet Kids, Fly Baby, leg-rests, hammocks, infant canopies or similar devices are not allowed to use onboard due to :

Measure restricted :  liquid, aerosol and gel

All liquids, aerosols, and gels in carry on baggage must be carried in containers with a   capacity not  greater than 100ml.

-  Liquids carried in containers larger than 100ml. are not accepted, even if the container is only partially filled.
 -  Containers must be placed in a transparent re-sealable plastic bag with a maximum capacity of one litter.
 -  The plastic bag must be presented for visual examination at the screening point.
 -  Only one transparent re-sealable plastic bag per passenger may be permitted.
 -  Exemptions may be made for medications, baby milk/foods and passengers with special dietary requirements.
 -  The plastic bag must be presented separately from other cabin baggage at screening checkpoint.
 -  Items purchased either at airport duty free shops or on board aircraft must be packed in a sealed plastic bag, and not have been opened. Passengers may be required to display a satisfactory proof of purchase.

Your cabin baggage

Lifting an overweight/oversized carry-on baggage to stow in an overhead locker, passengers may suffer muscle aches/pain.During turbulence,oversized/overweight baggage may fall on you or other passengers and cause injury.In case of emergency,it may also block the emergency exit routes and pose danger.For the sake of safety,every passenger is allowed one hand-carry baggage not over 7 kg or 45 linear inches (around 115 cm)to be taken on board, and properly stowed in a closed overhead bin.

• It may cause unsafe condition to the occupant and/or other passengers in the event of emergency.
  • It may damage, obstruct or cause malfunction to aircraft system and/or aircraft equipment.
  • It may cause disturbance to the adjacent passengers.

Excess Baggage

Special Baggage

Restricted Baggage

Dangerous Goods

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Enter Your E mail Address

On 6/28/2024 at 8:50 AM, gargamon said:

Thanks.

I salute every airline who is strict with those passengers who constantly pushing their luck with excess hand luggage. 

Nothing more annoying when you boarding and find the locker full. 

Source Thai air web page

Carry-on Items

In addition to the checked baggage allowance, each passenger is allowed to hand carry one baggage at maximum length 56 cm (22 inches), width 45 cm (18 inches), thickness 25 cm (10 inches). These dimensions include wheels, handles, and side pockets

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/plan/travel_information/baggage.page

Edited by Hummin

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I salute every airline who is strict with those passengers who constantly pushing their luck with excess hand luggage. 

Nothing more annoying when you boarding and find the locker full. 

What takes up all the locker space is those gigantic hard shell bags. Also note they are very heavy, and they aren’t really ideal because you can’t pack much in them.

You wanna know who the pros are when it comes to packing stuff, Filipinos. And what do they use? Well you may rarely see it in the cabin tbh but they use cardboard boxes to pack, because they get the maximum carrying load that way. Anyway, I’m just making a point about how inefficient those hard case carry on bags are and they are not even needed… you are taking the bag on the airplane for christs sake. It defies all logic.