Is it safe to wear a Rolex around Bangkok??

Mekmong MICK

1 minute ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Thanks Marin, sounds a bit hairy!! I'll put tape over the label brands on my clothes to keep extra protected and will use my phone to keep track of time

Hire a security detail while you're in Bangkok. It's what every other sensible tourist does. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Should I wear my Rolex and will I be safe from pickpocketers

Don't worry about the pick pockets, look out for the guys with machete's who will cut your arm off for your Rolex! But it is a chick magnet, right?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, 2baht said:

Don't worry about the pick pockets, look out for the guys with machete's who will cut your arm off for your Rolex! But it is a chick magnet, right?

The machete part doesn't bother me much mate, I spent time in South Australia.

No need for the rolex to be a chick magnet; I have a girlfriend now 😄

• Haha 1

Just now, Mekmong MICK said:

The machete part doesn't bother me much mate, I spent time in South Australia.

No need for the rolex to be a chick magnet; I have a girlfriend now 😄

I have no doubt you will be blessing the wife with a Lady Rolex Datejust too???

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Per the title, I need to make a trip to Bangkok later in the week for an appointment and sort a few matters out. Will I be safe wearing my Rolex? I plan to stay the night and will probably end up at a couple of bars? Should I wear my Rolex and will I be safe from pickpocketers / gangs or should I leave it in my hotel safe?

And a note; can I ask posters please keep responses civil and informative? I already have a Admin flog sending me warning notices

You'll be safe but there are thieves who can slip it off your wrist without you even noticing. Hopefully most will just think it's a fake/replica.

Edited by Ohyesuare
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mekmong MICK said:

Nah when they see me they'll know; I'm well groomed and look successful unlike a lot of the Westerners / sex tourists. The way I carry myself they'll know it's a genuine 

I'd swipe your rolex real or fake on the off chance it is genuine.  Everyone deserves to win the lottery once :sorry:

• Haha 1

Just now, steven100 said:

I've often gone out wearing my Patek Philippe Grandmaster Chime,  and never been robbed.

Your Rolex is chump change compared to my Patek Philippe.    I doubt anyone would steal it from you. 

PP's just look plain ugly. They look like they've been driven over by a tractor.

I'm sure if you and I stood next to each other down Khao San Rd I'd have a crowd around my wrist and tourists would throw loose change your way

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1