Thailand’s Cannabis Debate Ignites After Doctor’s Insightful Article

webfact

13 minutes ago, stoner said:

did you watch reefer madness this past week or something ? 

you know bong translated into thai .....is bong. 

LOS has officially been weed free for forty years vs centuries of traditional usage prior to Western notions of prohibition. As shameful as the notion that women must not allow a glimpse of their mammalian heritage, particularly in an atmosphere of steadily increasing ambient temps.

Climate change deniers in three, two,…

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, charmonman said:

First of all it is normally the responsibility of the person making the claims to provide the evidence for those claims. Second, I was not aware that the UK had legalized recreational cannabis use.

I know that the common knowledge of the forum is in question... but laziness in sourcing one's own opinion in order to negate what someone  else has posted has become the go to weapon of choice.  By demanding someone else's sources without citing your own is demeaning and should overrule the request.  The counter arguers have become lazy and simply cannot mount a proactive defense for their position so they demand your source so they can poo-poo it.   

What is Common Knowledge?

You may have heard people say that you do not have to cite your source when the information you include is “common knowledge.” But what is common knowledge?

Broadly speaking, common knowledge refers to information that the average, educated reader would accept as reliable without having to look it up. This includes:

Information that most people know, such as that water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit or that Barack Obama was the first American of mixed race to be elected president.

Information shared by a cultural or national group, such as the names of famous heroes or events in the nation’s history that are remembered and celebrated.

Knowledge shared by members of a certain field, such as the fact that the necessary condition for diffraction of radiation of wavelength from a crystalline solid is given by Bragg’s law.

However, what may be common knowledge in one culture, nation, academic discipline or peer group may not be common knowledge in another.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, NobbyClarke said:

LOS has survived without it for many years.

I started buying weed in Thailand in 1991.

Even though I've use cannabis in various forms for various reasons I don't think a free-for-all approach is great.

Most hybrid weed is too strong and can cause mental problems with vulnerable people.

I definitely approve of using good quality CBD oil for sleep, pain, epilepsy, etc though.

And obviously, using hemp for construction and fabric and paper etc is fantastic.

• Haha 1

Currently legal medical use is very, very limited. Just a few conditions qualify:

1. Nausea and vomiting from chemotherapy (chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting)(5, 6)
2. Epilepsy that is difficult to treat and intractable epilepsy(10,11).

3. Spasticity in patients with multiple sclerosis(12).
4. Neuropathic pain(8, 13)
5. Anorexia in underweight patients with AIDS(14,15)

6. Improving quality of life in patients receiving palliative care or end-of-life patients

I think there is some interest in expanding legal medical use (high THC), but the extent of that expansion is open for debate, which further complicates the current situation.

Could anyone get a medical card? Then buy flower? Then use it even in public? After all I can take medicine in public.

Who produces medical flower? How is it tested? Dispensed? Controlled? Taxed?

Who produces medical extracts (with greater than 0.2 % THC)? How are those tested, dispensed, controlled and taxed?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good Morning,

You will never see Thailand talk about control of alcohol, One of the highest road fatalities in the world , Thai youth can walk right into a village shop and purchase alcohol for there parents. I use it in medical capacity and it has improved greatly my fibromyalgia, Arthritis , Neuropathy in my feet and axiety compared to any medications that came with many side effects and longterm use of oral medications.

I do not understand why Thailand is making such a stink when the rest of the world is makinbg it both legal for medical and personal consumption or both but Thailand loves senseless drama !!! 38 States in America have approved personal use or medical use or both !!! Theres plenty of data showing the benifits far more then a non benifit  !!! WAKE UP THAILAND !!! WAKE UP HEALTH MINISTER !!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

That is a lot .

Cannabis is a medicine with consciousness enlarging properties .

It has been used for 1000s of years in the history of the world .

Only in our lifetime it has become illegal because the rulers do not want its psychedelic and healing effects .

It might diminish their profits .

Sign of the times ...

But time to wake up now and recognize it for what it is :

A tool to cure certain illnesses and generally :

A healer .

On the other hand the costs of medicine will rise for people who use the medicine. Smaller bulk orders will affect a price, specific for cancer and other already expensive medicines. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

That is a lot .

Cannabis is a medicine with consciousness enlarging properties .

It has been used for 1000s of years in the history of the world .

Only in our lifetime it has become illegal because the rulers do not want its psychedelic and healing effects .

It might diminish their profits .

Sign of the times ...

But time to wake up now and recognize it for what it is :

A tool to cure certain illnesses and generally :

A healer .

Something is used for temporary help, mask the symptoms, ease the the struggle, but do not cure.

For 1000's of years they had experience using it, but today we can use scientific methods to understand why ot works, how it works, and how to use it correctly.

For some that means recreational use is okay when it is labeled widely as have medical promising purposes.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And this debate should be renewed, after all there was an adult in the room who actually spoke out, and made perfect sense. Alcohol is infinitely more dangerous than ganja, the only hazard with ganja  relates to lowering one's ambition in life. 

To a certain degree that is true. And I wish that were fully the case. But any drug can be abused and used in high quantities cannabis can still be harmful like anything else:

Cannabis use, particularly heavy and long-term use, has been associated with an increased risk of developing psychiatric conditions such as delusions and schizophrenia. Here are some key points regarding this relationship:

1. **Psychotic Symptoms**: Cannabis can induce transient psychotic symptoms such as paranoia, hallucinations, and delusions, especially at high doses. These symptoms typically resolve once the effects of the drug wear off, but in some cases, they can persist or recur.

2. **Schizophrenia Risk**: Studies suggest that cannabis use, especially in adolescents and young adults, can increase the risk of developing schizophrenia. This risk appears to be higher in individuals who have a genetic predisposition to the disorder. The exact mechanism is not fully understood, but it is thought that cannabis might interact with the brain's dopamine system, which is implicated in psychosis.

3. **Early Use**: The earlier the age of first cannabis use, the higher the risk of developing schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders later in life. Early use during a critical period of brain development might disrupt neural pathways and contribute to mental health issues.

4. **Dose and Frequency**: Higher doses and more frequent use of cannabis are associated with a greater risk of developing psychotic symptoms and potentially schizophrenia. Heavy, chronic use can have more pronounced effects.

5. **Individual Vulnerability**: Not everyone who uses cannabis will develop psychotic symptoms or schizophrenia. Individual susceptibility varies based on genetic, environmental, and personal factors. Some people may be more vulnerable due to their genetic makeup or other mental health issues.

6. **Other Risk Factors**: Environmental factors, such as stress or exposure to other substances, can also interact with cannabis use to increase the risk of psychosis.

7. **Psychosis**:
  - In addition to schizophrenia, cannabis use can cause transient psychotic episodes, especially at high doses. These episodes can include hallucinations, delusions, and disorganized thinking.

8. **Substance Use Disorders**:
  - **Cannabis Use Disorder (CUD)**: Regular use can lead to dependence and addiction, characterized by an inability to control use despite negative consequences.

9. **Cognitive Impairment**:
  - Long-term, heavy use of cannabis has been associated with impairments in memory, attention, and learning. These cognitive deficits can persist even after cessation of use, particularly if cannabis use began in adolescence.

10. **Amotivational Syndrome**:
  - Chronic cannabis use has been associated with a syndrome characterized by reduced motivation, apathy, and an overall decrease in engagement in productive activities.

• Confused 1