800 baht for a Residence Certificate at Immigration ??

Ironic that it's claimed the DLT no longer accepts the yellow book as proof of residence, and only a Cof R from Immigration will suffice.

As the possessor of the house, I registered and submitted my TM30 online.
The proof of residence accepted by Immigration;
Copy of passport data page.
Copy of yellow Tabien Baan.
Copy of pink ID card.

So any CofR I request, the proof of address will be taken from my Yellow TB and pink ID card, that Immigration accepted to register and file a TM30 as proof of address.

Cap in hand, this afternoon I was on an errand near my DLT so popped in for a chat.
I skipped the desk clerks and spoke to the long-standing boss, a female, good English.
She admits that the DLT site only mentions a CofR, or work permit as suitable forms of proof of address, but these are only the minimum requirements.
She further admitted new inexperienced staff will not be familiar with Tabien Baans or even that a foreigner can posses such a document and will revert to their basic training, which is on a need to know basis. In these situations you should request to see the boss who should be fully trained in the requirements.

"Possession of a yellow TB by foreigners supersedes the minimum requirements, and anyone in charge of a DLT centre that doesn't know that is 'ting tong' (stupid)".

Her words, not mine.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Cap in hand, this afternoon I was on an errand near my DLT so popped in for a chat.
I skipped the desk clerks and spoke to the long-standing boss, a female, good English.
She admits that the DLT site only mentions a CofR, or work permit as suitable forms of proof of address, but these are only the minimum requirements.
She further admitted new inexperienced staff will not be familiar with Tabien Baans or even that a foreigner can posses such a document and will revert to their basic training, which is on a need to know basis. In these situations you should request to see the boss who should be fully trained in the requirements.

"Possession of a yellow TB by foreigners supersedes the minimum requirements, and anyone in charge of a DLT centre that doesn't know that is 'ting tong' (stupid)".

Her words, not mine.

'ting tong'.. Love it !!...  

Anyway - that response makes perfect sense...   Its been a long standing characteristic here when faced with the unfamiliar to revert to "cannot"...      Push a little and we often see logic prevail. 

That is strange, I always go to the local police station, and they will give me a confirmation letter of my address with my name and passport number. They never ask for money, but we always take some cake. Once a year when I have my extension done,(not at the local office) I then visit the 90-day officer at my local immigration, to reconfirm my address with the police letter although I have never been asked for it, after that 90 days are always done online. Renewal of driving permit etc, always used yellow book or ID Thai pink ID card.

On 7/2/2024 at 2:49 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

My own opinion is that I overreacted and any other day would have put 400/500 baht on the table before walking out.

That would have been an appropriate face-saving behavior. It is clear that when there is no receipt, the amount is free for negotiation.

• Thumbs Up 1

My own opinion is that I overreacted and any other day would have put 400/500 baht on the table before walking out.

That would have been an appropriate face-saving behavior. It is clear that when there is no receipt, the amount is free for negotiation.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JensenZ said:

The OP made it very uncomfortable for the IOs. He knew what it was, but they were forced to come up with a reply that seemed genuine. Putting the IOs on the spot is a bad idea when you already know the deal.

Telling someone you only have 500 in your pocket is not putting them on the spot, you have given them the chance to take it or come back with the rest.

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Telling someone you only have 500 in your pocket is not putting them on the spot, you have given them the chance to take it or come back with the rest.

You are putting them on the spot if you demand a receipt, which is what I was referring to.

3 hours ago, nofarang said:

It's not clear at all - you're just guessing. It's quite likely they will wait for you to get the shortfall.

17 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Are you sure that you didn't have that dialog with a bar girl?

If I could attach negative credibility to your "report", I would. 

• Agree 1

On 7/2/2024 at 8:09 PM, Liquorice said:

Nope.

I've purchased 3 motorcycles, 3 cars and changed my licences twice with just the yellow book and Thai ID.

Banks also accept a yellow TB as proof of address.

The exact purpose of obtaining a yellow house book and pink ID card is to integrate into Thai society and present the same documents as Thais do for certain procedures.

Is your Pink ID number shown on your driving licences?

They wanted to see my passport and inserted that number as 'ID No.'