Computers for the aged.

Gandtee

Anybody who uses a computer must surely realize how much value it adds to their life.  And now that AI is here, it’s really amazing.  

Anyway, I don’t think age has much to do with it.  As long as your brain still works, you’re all set.  

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And anybody who grew up without mobile computers, and especially without (smart)phones, realizes that is it important to live life in real life. Look around, talk to people, and all that. And don't try to be better like all those other Insta "people".

Computers, including smart phones, should be used as tools, when we need such tools. Not fixed in front of our head so that we don't see anything else anymore. Unfortunately, with AI, I think the situation will only get worse.

Most people don’t have a clue about how AI is going to change the world.  The chat tools we’re beginning to see now are just the beginning.  And I agree, people looking at screens all day are making a mistake. Anyway, AI is going to put many many people out of work.  Even some professionals. A similar situation happened when computers came into widespread use, and it’ll happen again as AI begins to roll out. An Industrial Revolution of sorts.  

I was born in 1951, so I grew up without any of the computers or smartphones we have today.  Even as late as the late 70s, when I was in school, nobody had any of that stuff.  One time in the early 70s, when I was taking a chemistry lab course, they made us use punch cards to answer questions. Those punch cards were later fed into a big computer system to determine the grade. That’s about the only time I came across a computer in my schoolwork.  By the late 70s, kids still took notes in class, and nobody had access to any kind of computer system.  Anyway, while I was in school, I decided that I wouldn’t even have a landline phone. As late as 1981, I didn’t have a phone. Anyone that wanted to talk to me could come over to my place, see me at work or school, or write me a letter.  I was totally OK with that scenario.  I didn’t miss a thing and my life was really peaceful.  

Today, it’s sort of silly not to use the available tools.  Emails, online bill payments, messaging apps, etc.  It all simplifies people’s lives.

3 hours ago, jas007 said:

Most people don’t have a clue about how AI is going to change the world.

Ray Kurzweil Still Says He Will Merge With AI

Anyway, AI is going to put many many people out of work.

Many of us are already out of work. Hence the even greater importance of PCs.

Anyone that wanted to talk to me could come over to my place, see me at work or school, or write me a letter.

I'm finding that people I used to know in the USA are no longer answering their phones or emails. Nor are their obituaries published. Hmm. Problem is, mailing them from Thailand has become rather expensive and unreliable.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, jas007 said:

I was born in 1951, so I grew up without any of the computers or smartphones we have today.  Even as late as the late 70s, when I was in school,

Sorry I have to ask but why were you still in school in your late 20s.......or were you teaching?