Border run from Pattaya in a 6-seater VIP van

20 minutes ago, novacova said:

Why not just rent a car and enjoy the venture on your own terms.

It's an easy drive and on the way back we used to stay at various beaches near Rayong. Laem Sadet and ChaoLao are nice with great sunsets into the sea. Easy if you own a car.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If you don't get the numbers you could check out the OP report in this thread VIP van. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1312731-border-run-pattaya-to-cambodia/

OP is using same company I did for that trip report. Highly recommended as a very safe, comfortable trip and well worth the baht to have everything pre-organised for you

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, novacova said:

Why not own a car if you live in Thailand, as most would do in their home country.

But, besides that, I would not drive myself for a border run. Why waste that much money and the need to stay awake and concentrated all the time? All from regular buses to VIP vans will be a better choice.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Why waste that much money and the need to stay awake and concentrated all the time?

Because some of us are independent and prefer not to be on the schedules of others. Personally, if I needed to do a border run I’d load the wife, fill the tank and make a pleasant trip of it. To each their own. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, novacova said:

Because some of us are independent and prefer not to be on the schedules of others. Personally, if I needed to do a border run I’d load the wife, fill the tank and make a pleasant trip of it. To each their own. 

You're forgetting without an agent you need to stay a minimum 1 night in Cambodia. Are you taking your car across the border or leaving it parked at the Thai border overnight? 

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, novacova said:

Ops! Are you implying that I have a lack of money? 😂 I am probably more independent than most here. However, independent does not have to go together with stupid, as it would be to use that you can´t be on a schedule. We are only talking about one day, for a visa run. Moreover, if you need to do visa runs, you are probably not so economically independent, as it would be much easier to get rid of those and stay on yearly extension with 800k in the bank. But, as you say, each to their own. I feel quite happy with not have to deal with visa runs. 😉 

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, novacova said:

I use to do that, and enjoyed the drive when it was convient to Myanmar. The civil war ruined that.  I tried one trip to Cambodia, but faced exactly what, Khun Jose, states below.  I lost money and plus had the worry of the Thai drivers, who can be very scary.

18 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

8 hr drive is your definition of enjoyment? Plus the gas, plus Cambodian visa. You won't save anything. I personally prefer watching movies during the trip or sleeping in a comfortable chair.

I'm so glad I've gone the agent and retirement extension route. I'll miss the drives to Myanmar (Ban Phu Nam Ron border crossing), but not much.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Rob Browder said:

For some of us, it is a wonderful thing we never have to worry about dealing with "our own" vehicle EVER again.  Granted, if living in a rural area, it is necessary.  Otherwise, given modern taxi-apps, I don't know why anyone would bother.  One can always rent a car, when/if grab/bolt/taxi isn't practical. 

Sure, you got a valid point. I don´t see much to deal with, more than tax and insurance once a year and driver license every 5 year. Sure, it can go broke, but that´s what the repair shop is for 😉 

But, I understand. Many people stay in the same place and not move around so much. For me, it´s a must. As you say, we live in a rural town, and we/I also go around a lot. Could not live without a car. 

27 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Sure, you got a valid point. I don´t see much to deal with, more than tax and insurance once a year and driver license every 5 year. Sure, it can go broke, but that´s what the repair shop is for 😉 

But, I understand. Many people stay in the same place and not move around so much. For me, it´s a must. As you say, we live in a rural town, and we/I also go around a lot. Could not live without a car. 

Just parking would be a hassle in many places. No thanks. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Just parking would be a hassle in many places. No thanks. 

Yeah, sure! If you think about such small things. Then you will be happy to know that I go get my children everyday with car in schools where they have 1500 respective 3000 students and all stop at the same time. The entrance to both is directly out to a 3 lane road without parking available. 😂

no have a single problem with that. Let´s just say that patience is my virtue. 😉