Which is the best air conditioning brand out there?

2 minutes ago, FarangRimPing said:

Right, and if I remember correctly, you bought them at mid-night from a guy in a pick-up truck at the Big C in town. 

HoHoHo, I bought them from Sendee Air in town, I think they are the distributor, they also have a huge warehouse just past HomePro, they do use young guys to install them, one was wearing his tech college outfit, not great, but we got there in the end.

I agree if you buy their better units they are very good, probably the best.  The issue I have with Mitsubishi and Daikin is value for money.  I see A/C as a commodity now, I can get an 18,000 BTU TCL Inverter for under 12,000 baht delivered plus installation, 15,000 baht installed.  The prices are crazy cheap for a quality unit.

Our mutual friend (John E) bought one of the TCL WiFi models and was very impressed, he just ordered 3 more.  They have a setting where it diffuses the air through lots of holes and gives no breeze, great for a bedroom.  

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

I have 2 Mitsubishi Heat/Cool units.  Chiang Rai can get very cold, last time was 2013 or 2014, highest temperature in 2 weeks was 11C.

My Mitsubishi's are very sensitive to being clean, they leak if not kept clean. And they have gone yellow but then they are 10 years old. They've been yellow for at least 6 years.

Luckily, my walls are painted a light shade of yellow, so the A/Cs are almost invisible! 555

54 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Luckily, my walls are painted a light shade of yellow, so the A/Cs are almost invisible! 555

That's actually a very good point, don't put yellowed A/C on a white wall.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2024 at 9:30 AM, JBChiangRai said:

HoHoHo, I bought them from Sendee Air in town, I think they are the distributor, they also have a huge warehouse just past HomePro, they do use young guys to install them, one was wearing his tech college outfit, not great, but we got there in the end.

I agree if you buy their better units they are very good, probably the best.  The issue I have with Mitsubishi and Daikin is value for money.  I see A/C as a commodity now, I can get an 18,000 BTU TCL Inverter for under 12,000 baht delivered plus installation, 15,000 baht installed.  The prices are crazy cheap for a quality unit.

Our mutual friend (John E) bought one of the TCL WiFi models and was very impressed, he just ordered 3 more.  They have a setting where it diffuses the air through lots of holes and gives no breeze, great for a bedroom.  

But what I understood is, that spares for TCL are not easy to find.

On 7/6/2024 at 5:09 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems most people agree that Daikin and Mitsubishi are the best.

I bought Daikin and I love the Wi-Fi connectivity of my units. When I am near my home I remotely switch on the AC and when I arrive it is already nice and cool.

Is it necessary? No. But it is convenient and brightens the day. 

Pls unpost

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

My TCL has been surprisingly good at a low price of 11k baht 18k BTU, but maybe it's not expensive enough for some of you 

An amazing price for such a size of unit! 

2 hours ago, UWEB said:

But what I understood is, that spares for TCL are not easy to find.

After having this exact issue with a TCL TV under warranty, "sorry cannot fix, no spares" I will never buy another TCL product, ever!!

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

After having this exact issue with a TCL TV under warranty, "sorry cannot fix, no spares" I will never buy another TCL product, ever!!

Was that with TCL themselves?

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Was that with TCL themselves?

It was a few years back, but IIRC it was their local repair centre.

They may well have improved, but once bitten!!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It was a few years back, but IIRC it was their local repair centre.

They may well have improved, but once bitten!!

I recently went to tukcom to get a replacement battery for a Chinese Teclast tablet, not one of those 50 stands could do it, maybe they boycott Chinese brands sometimes

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I recently went to tukcom to get a replacement battery for a Chinese Teclast tablet, not one of those 50 stands could do it, maybe they boycott Chinese brands sometimes

Chinese batteries cause problems around the world. Especially in Oz , people throw old batteries in the garbage, which is collected by trucks that compress the rubbish. The Chinese batteries catch fire. Also a problem with Chinese scooters and e bikes, people charge them o/n and burn the condo  down.

My local A/C installer who has a fleet of trucks and guys now sells TCL as his preferred supplier, I can't see him doing that if he can't get parts.

I put TCL TV's and American style side-by-side fridge freezers in rental properties here.  No issues yet.

I bought my first TCL TV in Pattaya about 15 years ago when they first started here, it was a problem and overheated often, clearly a design fault but they seem to have got their act together now.  We do have a TCL Service Centre here in Chiang Rai.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 5:53 PM, scubascuba3 said:

They couldn't fix the USB charging ports on my ACER or ASUS phones either   not sure if its lack of spares,lack of knowledge,lack of thinking outside the box  or just lack of Samsung

(which seems the only brand they want to touch)

4 minutes ago, johng said:

They couldn't fix the USB charging ports on my ACER or ASUS phones either   not sure if its lack of spares,lack of knowledge,lack of thinking outside the box  or just lack of Samsung

(which seems the only brand they want to touch)

Yes, i just don't see the point of 50 stalls at tukcom selling the same thing

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes, i just don't see the point of 50 stalls at tukcom selling the same thing

Neither do I  most all of them also sell the crappy

( some not crappy) Chinese brands too but no one wants to touch them if there is a problem or need a new battery  I've had better luck on Lazada and Shopee  finding spares and doing it myself  for battery and screen replacement... the surface mount micro soldering is almost always beyond me though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, patman30 said:

"best" is not very specific
there is a lot of difference between models of the same brand
so depends what you are looking for
for best i would suggest the new Daikin Max KZ series
These are the most efficient Aircons currently afaik
https://www.daikin.co.th/en/product/FTKZ-YV2S

"efficient" is not very specific either. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

"efficient" is not very specific either. 

what on earth do you mean?
Aircons efficiency is rated by their SEER number

Efficiency = "The ratio of the effective or useful output to the total input in any system."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, patman30 said:

"best" is not very specific
there is a lot of difference between models of the same brand
so depends what you are looking for
for best i would suggest the new Daikin Max KZ series
These are the most efficient Aircons currently afaik
https://www.daikin.co.th/en/product/FTKZ-YV2S

The issue I have with that model is to take the 18,000 BTU unit as an example, it is 4 times more expensive than a TCL Inverter model.  The TCL SEER rating is 21.56 which is not far off the Daikin.

A/C is a commodity now.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The issue I have with that model is to take the 18,000 BTU unit as an example, it is 4 times more expensive than a TCL Inverter model.  The TCL SEER rating is 21.56 which is not far off the Daikin.

A/C is a commodity now.

the series i posted, the 18k BTU has a SEER of 25.60
which is a very very significant increase
whether you see quick ROI depends on usage
but each to their own
obviously top of the range of more expensive established reliable brands are not for everyone
as you clearly point out

3 minutes ago, patman30 said:

the series i posted, the 18k BTU has a SEER of 25.60
which is a very very significant increase
whether you see quick ROI depends on usage
but each to their own
obviously top of the range of more expensive established reliable brands are not for everyone
as you clearly point out

It is 15.8% more efficient.  You would need to use 189,000 baht in electricity to break even.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2024 at 11:48 AM, JBChiangRai said:

That's actually a very good point, don't put yellowed A/C on a white wall.

I painted the outer casing the same colours of the wall,