British yoga teacher stranded in Bangkok airport over passport tear

webfact

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

would the transfer gate be available only for connecting flights that your luggage can be booked through

Generally, yes. 

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

not sure if such facility is available to low cost airlines, I don't think it's even available to transfer luggage between low cost flight even if it's on the same airline even, say you connect at Bangkok, you have to collect your bag and check in again

It's up to the airline - I've checked my bags through on Indian low cost carriers when transiting through India en route to another country.

Transit through Bangkok is the same - some low cost carriers will transfer your bags to your connecting flight, and others say you have to do it yourself.

really unbelievable, like a child, unprepared and acting like "i thought like this and that".

And the family help her, not really, with crowdfunding. Its weird, most of the time its a Brit. Do they leave their brain at home when going for a holiday. And they act that its normal that crowdfunding is the best thing to do.

This girl lived for a long time under a rock. 

Edited by Powder
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, they have such. I never even knew it existed.

Always risky getting multiple single tickets, miss 1 flight and your are Donald Ducked.

Best to buy with the same airline on multiple stops, so much for saving money.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even if just in transit at not clearing immigration, in cases like this the airline has to obtain confirmation that the other side will accept you before they will allow you to board.  Here they would also have to obtain permission from Turkey and the UK in advance.  A friend had a similar issue some years ago when returning from Prague to the UK via Amsterdam.  Funnily enough the Netherlands were fine but the UK Border Force were the balls ache despite him flying out of there on a return ticket only a few days earlier.   

• Like 1

India can be very aggressive in their checks. I bought a beautiful Buddha marble head and a pompous 'Babu' IO office took out his penknife and scratched it on the face leaving a huge indent. The point is they can be very jobsworth over there - she almost certainly would not have been able to enter unless she was very lucky.

• Agree 2

It gets pretty sad that your family can't even get together a few hundred dollars. Maybe next time you shouldn't be traveling unless you have a backup.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Mugi said:

Yoga teacher mai mee dang.

Go fund me, pleeeese. Me stupid nitnoi.

I would agree with you after that post. You definitely are.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ignore it said:

But Rosie,  your passport says surname Dalligan not Rosie Viscomi?

Probably recently divorced and is now "finding herself" but not updated her legal documents

Either way, I'm guessing these stops were overnights or required going through immigration, possible airline changes or there was no visa to enter India (assuming one may be needed) so perhaps doing a little research before buying the cheapest ticket possible.... though considering she had no funds left she probably had little choice than a possible 36 hr multi change flight.

Sure if it was direct to England any airline would see its a UK passport and just allow it.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The yoga teacher’s family has stepped in to help with the financial burden. Viscomi’s sister has set up a fundraising page, which has raised £280 of the £1,000 target so far.

Bad habits die hard..

About 15 years ago I was stopped in Stockholm because approximatly a third of my picture page had loosened. After some discussions they let me fly and said that it will be up to Thai immigrration if they would acccept it, but they did not notice it. The passport was only 2 years old. To avoid further problems I applied for a new Passport at the Embassy. The new passport was free, becausse my pasport was part of a batch that was defect. To my dissapointment the start date was the same as the old passport and my travel epenses to apply for and pick up the new passport were not covered even if it was a known batch with defect passports. But it learned me to treat the passport with extreme care.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most of us on here can afford a uck up like this NOW but the girl was very unlucky. I'm sure at some time in our lives ( I'm talking for me) if I had been refused my flight after thinking I was free to spend my last baht it would have been a worrying time . So I'm not going to get on her case she was unlucky and feel many of us or our children could end up in same position difference is as we get older we start worrying what if so we plan for worst scenarios 

• Agree 1

This incident reminds me of my brother who years ago found it necessary to write his daughter's name in his passport, of course he could throw it away, it was not accepted by customs.
Own-handed changes are not allowed, on the other hand, I always have to think of a staple stapled into the passport by an official with, say, an arrival card, teoretically you would not be allowed to take that out either.

• Confused 1

sounds like the stereotypical Sri thanu spiritual yoga hippy person to me. 'Volunteering' probably means working illegally. cant believe a 27yr old doesn't even have a £1000 to her name?

if anyone wants a laugh and insight into the spiritual wannabe, vegan, easily offended woke generation join the 'koh Phangan conscious community' FB page....

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I actually don´t get this. She had a ticket home to London, with multiple stops in India and Turkey. But isn´t this just stops and change of planes as usual? In that case she will not enter, nor have any need to enter the countries as she will remain at the airport. Am I missing something, or has it changed. To me the excuse that she can´t board because she will be refused entry in India is just garabge as she will never enter the country.

What if she had 'different' airlines?  She would have to go through customs, exit out, get her new boarding pass with the new airline, and then re-enter through customs.

The main point is she should have been aware that any damage to any part of a passport could cause a problem..  ps. I will not contribute to this f00ls stupidity with her fundraising... 

In addition to the damaged passport she had over-stayed her visa, had engaged in a restricted activity, and apparently has no money. Not exactly a well-organised individual.

Edited by Thingamabob
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

And  India being India,   they might well kick up a fuss about a small tear.

Civil servants instinctively throw their weight around in order to convince the public that they're needed.

• Agree 1

she needs her friends from Khosan road to give her some spiritual vibes and some cannabis for her immigration stress relief.

I believe it's all in her mind ....

Edited by steven100

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I actually don´t get this. She had a ticket home to London, with multiple stops in India and Turkey. But isn´t this just stops and change of planes as usual? In that case she will not enter, nor have any need to enter the countries as she will remain at the airport. Am I missing something, or has it changed. To me the excuse that she can´t board because she will be refused entry in India is just garabge as she will never enter the country.

You are correct. The story is murky. If she has a ticket all the way to London that is a "through ticket" she will be in transit all the way. If she has booked the different flights separately herself she would actually need to enter India as stated. But no info on that.

• Agree 1