You think you have to want more than you need

Until you have it all you won't be free

I think I need to find a bigger place

'Cos when you have more than you think

You need more space

• Like 1

9 hours ago, atpeace said:
18 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

I wondered where Big Nok AKA Sparktader went.

You can change your name as much as you like but difficult to hide the same inane posting style.

But this is his best version yet and his past selves were authentic at least.  Being a female takes some of the edge off of him.

i think it might be another blast from the past .  Emmy award winner .   Either way i like the short style ,  and using arch nemisis trans style of short antagonisms along with coffee cup emojis is a stroke of genius . 

probably before the time of many here.   soooo many new timers now, entering the contest.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Hummin said:
45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He mentioned that he was 'visiting' Thailand and that he was in the 'Waiting room'...   (as in waiting to die)... 

I asked him... "Which direction... up or down?"...  he gave me a rye smile...   I felt like high-fiving him !!! 

i met that guy.   but he gave me a pumpernickle smile .   hmmmm   guess he was all out of rye.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, susanlea said:

Don't eat it then.

it all dependes on your diet and needs for maintain weight, build or loose. 200,- baht is not enough for my daily needs of fresh food and healthy food even me make everything from scratch. 

300g vegetables, 300g meat, 3 eggs, you are pretty much at 300 baht or more already

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, susanlea said:

Hoarding is associated with functional deficits in the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain, particularly with problems in the left temporal lobe. Apparently, hoarding reduces anxiety in this clinical population.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-human-beast/202208/does-hoarding-have-evolutionary-roots

It that why you have so much junk?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, rumak said:
2 hours ago, Hummin said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

he gave me a rye smile...   I felt like high-fiving him !!! 

i met that guy.   but he gave me a pumpernickle smile .   hmmmm   guess he was all out of rye.

(well spotted)..  along with his rye smile was a wry wink...    while scoffing down some pumpernickel !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, susanlea said:
6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yours may be but you only speak for yourself; you know nothing about the contents of anyone else's house, never mind the average one.

You are perfect.

If you say so but your judgement has been seen to be rather suspect on most other subjects.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/10/2024 at 2:34 PM, susanlea said:

. A self assured person doesn't need material items to feel good about themselves

Who said it has anything to do with feeling good about oneself?

I have hobbies like fly fishing for sea trout and salmon and I make all my own flies so my house is full of tools and accoutrements to further the enjoyment of my many hobbies, they are not there to make me feel good, more to accomplish what I have set out to complete.

which I find to be much more satisfying then sitting on a bar stool drooling and with acute feelings of Oh woe is me.

Perhaps this rings a bell with you.

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

it all dependes on your diet and needs for maintain weight, build or loose. 200,- baht is not enough for my daily needs of fresh food and healthy food even me make everything from scratch. 

300g vegetables, 300g meat, 3 eggs, you are pretty much at 300 baht or more already

That is my daily  lunch but only 1 egg and less vegetables.  About 80 baht for your items if bought at Big C.  Much more probably at a restaurant.

Edited by atpeace

21 minutes ago, atpeace said:

That is my daily  lunch but only 1 egg and less vegetables.  About 80 baht for your items if bought at Big C.  Much more probably at a restaurant.

Travelling around at cheap bargain hostels, there is no kitchen, only a microwave at best. Try cooking your 200 baht meals there 😄

Thats my lunch, so living at 200 baht a day, and announce that as sustainable? well possible, but not for me. And I want not only pork meat, I want quality meat, god only knows what they feed the pigs with in Thailand, and the farmed fish? 

On 7/10/2024 at 2:55 PM, Moonlover said:

I wonder why it is then that Thais are, in my experience, the worlds worst accumulators of junk.

they are not real Buddhists    Same goes for their monks 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, atpeace said:

1 egg is not enough.

Its only 6 grams of protein.

A healthy diet is very expensive. 

On 7/10/2024 at 8:09 PM, susanlea said:

Born naked with nothing. When you die you don't get to take stuff with you. So why do people accumulate so much junk? 99% of everything you own is junk.

Most men take their junk with them!

On 7/10/2024 at 9:32 AM, susanlea said:

The average household is full of junk though.

Depends on who you ask.   

Me:   So many treasures!
Wife:  Damned lot of junk!

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you say so but your judgement has been seen to be rather suspect on most other subjects.

Your posts are always negative. Very negative person.

Edited by susanlea
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

1 egg is not enough.

Its only 6 grams of protein.

A healthy diet is very expensive. 

1 egg a day is enough.

And he was only describing ONE MEAL.

You can also get protein from things other than eggs.

Fish is healthier. 

Just now, FruitPudding said:

1 egg a day is enough.

And he was only describing ONE MEAL.

You can also get protein from things other than eggs.

Fish is healthier. 

Fish often contains mercury and parasites. Eggs are way better. 4 eggs a day is good.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

Who said it has anything to do with feeling good about oneself?

I have hobbies like fly fishing for sea trout and salmon and I make all my own flies so my house is full of tools and accoutrements to further the enjoyment of my many hobbies, they are not there to make me feel good, more to accomplish what I have set out to complete.

which I find to be much more satisfying then sitting on a bar stool drooling and with acute feelings of Oh woe is me.

Perhaps this rings a bell with you.

I don't drink.:coffee1:

On 7/10/2024 at 8:32 PM, susanlea said:

The average household is full of junk though.

My junk is by definition good junk well worth my keeping. Some of it's fixable, too. When I get around to it. 

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I can accept that and recognises that others find and seek comfort in various faiths...  however regarding your point on nihilism - Ricky Gervais makes a sound point that there are about 3000 religions in the world, those who don't believe in a god are just rejecting 1 more than those who only accept 'their' god...  However, that doesn't deal with the overlap of the possibility of a 'supreme being' and that all religions and faiths have their own interpretation of such a being.

Then there is the argument presented by Stephen Fry...   the 'how dare you !' argument - if there is a supreme being pulling the strings, how dare such suffering be allowed... of course, that can be answered with more whatiffery.

..And thus, moving onto your last point: if I say "life has no meaning"...  I'd ask what meaning could it have ?..  I think thats the original question asked, which is IMO, just a human concept - everything has to have a start, an end, a why and why not - our minds need explain or understand,  we find comfort in 'ideas', theories, explanations... faith.... which of course leads questions regarding the meaning of life... which IMO are moot - in simple terms, we are, because we are.

... Why try to love ?... because it feels nice...   and thats linked to why have kids ?...    Its simple nature.

The single most common facet of all life on earth is the underlying desire to reproduce, without that fundamental building block in every living thing, life ceases to exist. 

With regards to selfishness, and the idea that having kids is being selfish, I don't think so..

... But then, from a 'nature' and evolution point of view - selfishness is an evolutionary necessity, so perhaps.

I understand the argument, but a world without meaning is a chaotic, unruly, Wild West world. We need norms of behaviour—religions, although I accept most of them are nonsense, keep society safer (mostly). The human constructs of religion are designed to explain the unfathomable power of the universe and are bound to fail—but at least they attempt to. 

22 hours ago, Hummin said:

A normal thinking intelligent human being will continue to question why, and always find answers that fits for time being. Hard times often creates more religious beliefs than good times, as we see in the west where most separetes themselves from anchient believs while economic growth gives new oppertunities for more egoism and me, and mine, while difficult times brings people back to more faith in a higher power. 

I agree that the concept of trying "to explain" is an inbuilt mechanism within us all. Just listen to a loud BANG! Everyone makes assumptions about what it is as our brains scramble for meaning. I think there is no higher power - as such - but there is order in our universe, and I believe karma is part of that order, rightly or wrongly.