For those of you who have lived here for years?

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That is also dependent on where we live of course...  much of Thailand is way too hot and humid for many months of the year for sitting outside to be enjoyable.

I'd argue similar space is needed for opposing reasons - in the UK its too wet / windy / cold... in Thailand its too hot and humid...    its nice to have space to swing a cat in either environment. 

Hot never bothers me, do you use air-con a lot?

One of my pals insists on a fan when we're sitting outside at mid-day, but I never bother if on my own.

Edited by BritManToo

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Back home in the UK it's too wet/windy/cold to go out most of the year, so you need more room. Here in Thailand the weather is great year round, so you can sit outside or wander around, and only really need space to sleep at night.

I'm always impressed at the number of foreigners that never understand that.

Agree 100%.

People need to spend more time outdoors. Houses can become prisons.

And Thailand has great weather. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Screaming said:

I find it very interesting how some expats can live in a tiny room and call it home

I find it interesting how people can live in these condos 100m+ loads of empty space and junk furniture

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Screaming said:

I find it very interesting how some expats can live in a tiny room and call it home

I find it interesting how people can live in these condos 100m+ loads of empty space and junk furniture

Is it only space and 'junk' furniture that interests you ?... 

.... What about the people who live in a 100m+ condo with nice furniture ?...   no interest in them ?...

Whats not to like about having a reasonable amount of space ? 

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is it only space and 'junk' furniture that interests you ?... 

.... What about the people who live in a 100m+ condo with nice furniture ?...   no interest in them ?...

Whats not to like about having a reasonable amount of space ? 

Depends on the design, many i see online are just boring boxes

2 minutes ago, susanlea said:
4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you're happy.. then thats ok..   would you not be happier with more space ?

Not really. 

Fair enough...   

I had 70sqm condo when alone... that felt about right at the time while single. 

Then I had a 75sqm condo when married, it felt too small and we moved to a 150 sqm condo - that felt about right at the time... 

Now we have 180 sqm house (indoor area) which feels a bit small,  I'd like more garden for BBQ's... 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Back home in the UK it's too wet/windy/cold to go out most of the year, so you need more room. Here in Thailand the weather is great year round, so you can sit outside or wander around, and only really need space to sleep at night.

I'm always impressed at the number of foreigners that never understand that.

Impressed that you are living in a shoe box 🤣

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough...   

I had 70sqm condo when alone... that felt about right at the time while single. 

Then I had a 75sqm condo when married, it felt too small and we moved to a 150 sqm condo - that felt about right at the time... 

Now we have 180 sqm house (indoor area) which feels a bit small,  I'd like more garden for BBQ's... 

A large balcony is good. Indoors though I find 45/55 about right.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Depends on the design, many i see online are just boring boxes

To be honest - most condo's are boring boxes.. its how they are decorated which makes a place a more enjoyable environment to spend time in... 

We spend a lot of time over at friends houses or them over at ours, so having space for that is great.

I've been to a lot of Thai friends houses...   The space some of them have is astonishing - swimming pools on second floor, massive open plan western kitchen and dining area...   3-4 floors, elevators etc...     I can only dream of such a place - the upkeep must be quite costly, but they are the sort of places that could be really enjoyed. 

We all live within our means and the reason - its great to be happy with what we have... But if money were no object I'm not convinced we'd be living in 45sqm or 150sqm condos... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

To be honest - most condo's are boring boxes.. its how they are decorated which makes a place a more enjoyable environment to spend time in... 

We spend a lot of time over at friends houses or them over at ours, so having space for that is great.

I've been to a lot of Thai friends houses...   The space some of them have is astonishing - swimming pools on second floor, massive open plan western kitchen and dining area...   3-4 floors, elevators etc...     I can only dream of such a place - the upkeep must be quite costly, but they are the sort of places that could be really enjoyed. 

We all live within our means and the reason - its great to be happy with what we have... But if money were no object I'm not convinced we'd be living in 45sqm or 150sqm condos... 

If money was no object I would live in 5 star hotels around the world. Daily room cleaning. I wouldnt live in a condo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, susanlea said:

Nature is better for you than concrete. Days outside. Nights inside.

That only works in more temperate area's of Thailand...   In many area's its just too hot and humid to be outside for any length of time... 

I can't do any work on my motorcycle or carry out any jobs without getting completely pished wet through in sweat within 20mins...   

The humidity in Thailand, particularly in Bangkok necessitates the need for more indoor space IMO... (and living elsewhere in Thailand is not an option as Wife is from Bangkok, all our friends are in Bangkok, Son's school is in Bangkok and there is definitely no compromise there).

If I lived somewhere else, Chiang Mai  or Hua Hin for example, spending more time outside, evenings too would be a far more realistic option... but then there is the smog some of the year etc.. 

• Like 1

Just now, susanlea said:

If money was no object I would live in 5 star hotels around the world. Daily room cleaning. I wouldnt live in a condo.

Over the years I've spent so much time in hotels I couldn't think of anything worse than living in a hotel. 

That only works in more temperate area's of Thailand...   In many area's its just too hot and humid to be outside for any length of time... 

I can't do any work on my motorcycle or carry out any jobs without getting completely pished wet through in sweat within 20mins...   

The humidity in Thailand, particularly in Bangkok necessitates the need for more indoor space IMO... (and living elsewhere in Thailand is not an option as Wife is from Bangkok, all our friends are in Bangkok, Son's school is in Bangkok and there is definitely no compromise there).

If I lived somewhere else, Chiang Mai  or Hua Hin for example, spending more time outside, evenings too would be a far more realistic option... but then there is the smog some of the year etc.. 

The heat does not bother me. The smoke does. I hate cold weather. 

Over the years I've spent so much time in hotels I couldn't think of anything worse than living in a hotel. 

To each their own. I find it a pleasure. Fresh towels, fresh sheets, breakfast, coffee. 

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But if you're looking for a new home, a place to live in for the rest of your life -- BIG PROBLEM.

I don't worry about it, most likely the status quo remains, of it doesn't I'll worry about it then, next problem?

• Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

I don't worry about it, most likely the status quo remains, of it doesn't I'll worry about it then, next problem?

I agree with this point. Cross that bridge when it comes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, susanlea said:

Says the guy who hires women by the night. :coffee1:

by the hour only, you will too when you get older, anyway I don't want free ones because I'm not interested in a relationship 

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

by the hour only, you will too when you get older, anyway I don't want free ones because I'm not interested in a relationship 

You can't get free one thinks. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The payment is for them to leave, innit. 

• Agree 2