" Jump to content

Does a foreigner get a driver's license using his work permit

2 minutes ago, Jaythekol said:

We are in the process of getting the US driver's license transferred to a Thai driver's license. If he has a work permit would he need a residence certificate too?

Does work permit have an address on it ?

5 minutes ago, Jaythekol said:

No as the new work permits only have the name of the employer and not the address.

There you have your answer - in that case it cannot be used as proof of address at the DLT.

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, you require a certificate of residence.

To obtain a COR at CW you would need to have made a 90 day report..

Ok noted. So if he has a 90 day non B from an Embassy that is out of the question.

9 minutes ago, Jaythekol said:

Ok noted. So if he has a 90 day non B from an Embassy that is out of the question.

Would he be obtaining the TDL in Bangkok.

If yes he requires a TM47 

I can confirm that you can use a work permit in lieu of a residence permit, but you may be sent to labour department for a printout and a stamp.

My local immigration told me it would take 2 weeks for residence permit, so I asked the DLT if anything I could do, and that was the solution.

If you have a physical book rather than e-work permit  maybe you won't need visit labour office.

The licence will have company address and all this was done with WP In Bangkok and DLT office in Korat. (I visited Labour office in Korat for stamp, it wasn't even proper labour office, some migrant worker processing place) 2 mins and 20 baht

Edited by Satcommlee

19 hours ago, Jaythekol said:

Not clear about your exact situation, but if your employer provided you with a relocation service to help you find a place to live those companies usually provide assistance opening a bank account and getting your first TDL.  

10 minutes ago, Satcommlee said:

The licence will have company address and all this was done with WP In Bangkok and DLT office in Korat

Worked for you in Korat so must be possible however I believe the OP is obtaining DL in Bangkok. 

I have just gone though it, with my new Work Permit.

While the old WP had address, the new one does not so on the day when I went there to get the appointment they did ask me to obtain a certificate of residence (either ex your Embassy or Immigration).

I got one at Immigration on the same day, took me about 2 hours wait -easy peasy.

Do not forget to ask at DLT the web address and code to perform the Online Training at your home any day before your appointment. Once Training is over (about 1hr with some checks) you will get a QR code, save it and show during the process on the day of appointment.

As per medical certificate, if you will go by Sukhumvit Soi 99 DLT, I do recommend to get one on the same day of the appointment at the small clinic located opposite side of Sukhumvit 50mt north from BTS exit. Fast and cheap (I think 140-150 THB or so, 5min wait).

Note there are three counters in the DLT office for the booking and the start of process, one of them is for Foreigner, queue there.

Edited by NicoBKK

10 minutes ago, NicoBKK said:

I got one at Immigration on the same day, took me about 2 hours wait -easy peasy.

Which immigration office provided COR on same day.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Up in Korat we used to get them while you wait, maybe 10 mins, it was an excellent service, they would even prepare your other documents and tell you everything you need to do... but some farangs complained about being charged a few hundred baht (but it is suppose to be free)..

So now they put your name in a book and tell you to come back and it could be two weeks like in my case...

Thank you Cheap-Charlies!!!!

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I got mine in Ratchaburi the same day, maybe a 30 minute wait at the most, a couple of years ago now.