Intolerant to alcohol due to ageing.

Mason45

1 hour ago, Chillypom said:

Perhaps try Carabao Dunkel if you can track it down.  Very similar to Lao Dark by all accounts and about half the price

Yep i want to try it, one downside it's only 5%, Beer Lao Dark is 6%, just the right amount 

• Confused 1

On 7/19/2024 at 11:39 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

For me, the other way around. 

Sometimes I drink a beer or two. But when I know there will be a couple of hours of drinking, then whiskey (soda) only. 

You are sensible, never mix spirits when you are in for heavy drinking. I prefer quality vodka (Absolut) or gin (Blue Sapphire) and stick with it the whole evening.

Have been known to empty a whole bottle of frozen vodka in one evening without much ill effects next day. That was a few years ago though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/19/2024 at 12:25 PM, NE1 said:

I too was a heavy drinker in my younger days , Bacardi or Lager  , then Gin and Tonic as I got older , the last daily drink I had was Brandy before bedtime.

Now , I barely touch any alcohol , the drinking sessions have long gone.

I enjoyed it at the time , but like the OP states , the older you get the less inclined you get.

It's also a matter of health, your body can't take the punishment every day, I have cut it out now, I loved having good old daily sessions with the boys,but my liver tests said you better cut down or your liver will fail at some time in the near future. It's back to normal now, I could have a drink, but only a few now otherwise health would be deteriorated quickly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/19/2024 at 2:03 PM, JackGats said:

Could there be something wrong with your liver?

The main reason we can't enjoy, the liver says no. Mine does alcohol becomes poison and not enjoyable. Smoke a joint. 

On 7/19/2024 at 7:25 AM, NE1 said:

I too was a heavy drinker in my younger days , Bacardi or Lager  , then Gin and Tonic as I got older , the last daily drink I had was Brandy before bedtime.

Now , I barely touch any alcohol , the drinking sessions have long gone.

I enjoyed it at the time , but like the OP states , the older you get the less inclined you get.

takes all night to do what you used to do all night.

• Haha 1

Like many of the posters here, I used to drink heavily every night for many, many years. Covid vaccines changed my tolerance for alcohol. Even small amounts cause problems now.  The other night at a party, I had 3 glasses of red wine and a shot of Lao Khao. Never again as they say. 

• Sad 1

On 7/19/2024 at 7:09 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it any kind of alcohol or only beer?

It seems for many people it makes a big difference in which form they drink alcohol. The alcohol itself is maybe not the issue.

I guess you are correct I still drink my red wine every night, never spirits, beer just ones in a blue moon have no problem at all.

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Depends how much you drink, i find drug users to be moody, cannabis, cocaine 

science tends to disagree. drug users who are moody also include boozers. 

• Agree 1

On 7/18/2024 at 11:51 PM, Mason45 said:

I must admit I didn't realize till now how much money I blew on the piss in my younger days.

You can't take it with you, so just enjoy it while you can.

On 7/18/2024 at 11:51 PM, Mason45 said:

Hi all, I don't socialize like I used to probably due to the fact that my age is catching up with me. I was a very heavy drinker for many years with no health problems, I worked hard and drank hard. Nowadays I drink a few beers and  I start feeling the pinch. Several more I'm on my way to getting wrecked. Have others gone through this same thing as me as they've become older. I must admit I didn't realize till now how much money I blew on the piss in my younger days.

Good choice, it will protect your brain as you age.

High dose CBD 5000-6000mg dropper tincture is like a glass of wine buzz if you crave something similar...

People say they get almost no buzz from CBD but lot of tincture is just 350mg etc bottles..Bottle size is a consideration also as that mg is fixed but 10ml or 30ml bottles are different percentaege strength.

Access CBD in UK have strong stuff...3 for 2 offers on their mialing list.

It helped me transition off booze.

On 7/20/2024 at 5:00 PM, GreasyFingers said:

Sorry to see the OP has joined the old man's club. From what I am told it will get worse the older we get.

At 80 years of age joining the old mans club doesn't worry but what I don't understand is how it's only really been noticeable in the last 6 months.

14 hours ago, Mason45 said:

At 80 years of age joining the old mans club doesn't worry but what I don't understand is how it's only really been noticeable in the last 6 months.

You are lucky that it has taken so long, but do have a friend that is still drinking well into his 80's.  My reduced intake started around 72 and now struggle with 2 x 490ml cans every day.

• Confused 1