Can’t get used to “Don’t have”

9 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

Laziness and lack of ambition of Thai males on display again and again. 

In principle I agree with you.

But, when we consider that they likely get minimum wage, something like 300B per day, then I understand that they are not too motivated.

I guess if they would do a good job they might get promoted. But how far? Maybe so that in 5 years they make 400B per day?

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

Despite happening a lot of time still boils my blood when shop assistant say don’t have. 
Bought a light fixture from thaiwasadu a few days ago. Took a photo and went back in today to buy another one. Showed the photo, got an instant “don’t have” response. Kept my composure and explained the situation. He calls another guy, took me to location with about dozen of the light fittings. 
My approach is to ask to be taken to general vicinity and I look for myself. Laziness and lack of ambition of Thai males on display again and again. 

• Haha 1

Most of these places don't employ the staff, they are paid commission by agents that supply the stock.

In most cases in my experience, "dont have" means can't be bothered no money in it. 3 times I've had this in home pro and found the item myself on the rack.Twice in Thaiwatsadu unless its a higher ticket item most just can't be bothered but hang around in groups of upto eight talking or playing on their phones.

YMMV 

• Agree 2

Similarly you are handed a menu and the waitress returns after you wait several minutes and you point at what you want and she says "mot"... then you point at your second selection and another kurt "mot"... At this point I ask "Khun me array bang..." this usually gets me a bewildered stare and a call for assistance from other staff... :coffee1:

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, AustinRacing said:

Despite happening a lot of time still boils my blood when shop assistant say don’t have. 
Bought a light fixture from thaiwasadu

When you shop at central that rarely happens because.....they get small commission

• Like 1

Personally I enjoy the hunt of whatever I’m looking for in those stores, though I’ve asked for help a few times and never experienced any issues with the staff that out numbers the customers by 3 to 1 it seems.

The ones that bug me are those that glom onto me when I walk through the door and don't leave my side as I'm browsing.  Happens more in higher end stores and IT shops.   I can take that for about 2 minutes then I'm outa there.  Sometimes, I just want to browse. 

Sometimes, I know exactly what I'm looking for but I don't know the Thai name, so I shrug and browse.  And I rarely ask for a product because of the OP's phenomena.  They'll say "finish" and I hate to risk making them lose face by finding it on my own, which happens so often.

• Agree 1

A reported discriminatory post has been removed.

Rule 15. You will not discriminate or post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments on the basis of race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, nationality, disability, medical history, marriage, civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, paternity, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other irrelevant factor.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In principle I agree with you.

But, when we consider that they likely get minimum wage, something like 300B per day, then I understand that they are not too motivated.

I guess if they would do a good job they might get promoted. But how far? Maybe so that in 5 years they make 400B per day?

300 Baht . As much as that?

They deserve nothing.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

In many countries where Managers / Owners care about selling their products, retaining customers, there are always signs in prominent places with a phone number to call, in case of dis-satisfaction.

Haven't seen many of those here in LOS, strangely!

6 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Bought a light fixture from thaiwasadu a few days ago. Took a photo and went back in today to buy another one. Showed the photo, got an instant “don’t have” response. Kept my composure and explained the situation. He calls another guy, took me to location with about dozen of the light fittings. 
My approach is to ask to be taken to general vicinity and I look for myself.

You couldn't locate the lighting area in a hardware store?

It's literally lit up. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Showed the photo, got an instant “don’t have” response.

maybe they didn't have any, what are they supposed to say?

do you speak thai? if so they could probably tell you when they would next be in stock.

these guys generally work for minimum wage, how hard would you work, how motivated would you be for around 300 baht /day?

chill man, give them a break.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

They tend to do this with farangs because they are not confident enough in their English speaking abilities and are scared of embarassment.

The solution to that problem is to learn to speak Thai, I'm pretty sure you will get a lot less "mai mee".

My Thai is pretty good, and while I don't get 'no have' I get 'mai mee' instead.

49 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

My Thai is pretty good, and while I don't get 'no have' I get 'mai mee' instead.

Okay, I'm sure it does happen. I've often asked staff about stuff at Home Pro and Thai Watsadu and never had a straight out "mai mee". To me, it seems what the OP is describing is the awkward "no have" that Thais will say when they are out of their comfort zone facing a farang, but I could be wrong.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, rattlesnake said:

Okay, I'm sure it does happen. I've often asked staff about stuff at Home Pro and Thai Watsadu and never had a straight out "mai mee". To me, it seems what the OP is describing is the awkward "no have" that Thais will say when they are out of their comfort zone facing a farang, but I could be wrong.

I think you're right .... but speaking Thai is not the whole answer.  Many tend to panic at the sight of a Falang as they think it's going to be a difficult interaction, so even speaking Thai still elicits the knee-jerk 'mai mee' response.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Kinnock said:

I think you're right .... but speaking Thai is not the whole answer.  Many tend to panic at the sight of a Falang as they think it's going to be a difficult interaction, so even speaking Thai still elicits the knee-jerk 'mai mee' response.

Very true!

• Like 1

I do agree  with the op, the laziness and lack of ambition is inherent in these places...  So much so I've learnt never to bother asking anything... 

My Wife thinks I'm impolite every time we go to home pro or some place like that.

So she'll ask one of the assistants of we 'have something'...   Sometimes we'll get someone who is helpful and will take us to the area....  mostly, we'll get the 'mai mee' response... & thats it, my wife is ready to go home...  even when last time the exact same thing happened and I found the item. 

So..  when I hear the "mai mee" response - I'll just tell my Wife... "She / he's lying...   it'll be here"...  and then we walk around and finally find the item we are looking for.... 

.... one day...  we won't be able to find the item and I'll be told and I'll get a look that says...  "See, they don't have it, why didn't you believe her / him" !!!

But the strange things happens, when we stop and look at something and don't want their help, be it a washing machine, vacuum cleaner, a drill... etc - we are then inundated with a gaggle of staff telling us its a Washing Machine, a Vacuum Cleaner, or a Drill !!!! 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I've had the 'Mai mee' response when the staff is stood in front of the item I've been asking for... 

My Thai is clear enough to be understood...  my guess at times like this its the eyes not believing the ears and they can't understand the 'funny english' we are speaking (when we are actually speaking Thai)..  

... sometimes its just easier to be the idiot who doesn't speak any Thai and struggle through with them in broken English until the penny drops... 

But as said - with some staff the 'mai mee' response is almost a knee-jerk panic reaction for 'oh no, a foreigner, I can't speak 'foreigner langaugage' what do I do to get rid of them as quickly as possible' ....  I know... "mai-mee"... (now go away, please, I'm getting shy and embarrassed)... 

• Agree 1

On 7/19/2024 at 10:56 PM, JeffersLos said:

You couldn't locate the lighting area in a hardware store?

It's literally lit up. 

You’re right. Although there are 3-4 aisle dedicated to it. The guy approached me. So out of politeness I showed the photo so he can “help” me. 

On 7/19/2024 at 4:26 PM, AustinRacing said:

My approach is to ask to be taken to general vicinity and I look for myself. Laziness and lack of ambition of some Thai males on display again and again. 

my favourite moment was when I showed a piece of paper to a shop attendant, with a picture and a description in Thai of what I was looking for, just to get a "mai mee, sorry sir" and the item was on a shelf just behind her head, about 20cm away.

• Haha 1