Thai PM Launches Project to Transform Thailand into Financial Hub

7 hours ago, cnx101 said:

Great I think I’ll move all my money from the Bahamas and Swiss banks to Bangkok bank.

If you spread it around would there be enough banks in Thailand to Guarantee all your money.............:cheesy:

14 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

If you spread it around would there be enough banks in Thailand to Guarantee all your money.............:cheesy:

Thailand has 30 registered banks.  One million in each guaranteed, so that's only 30,000,000 baht - approximately US$ 825,000 - not even a million bucks.  Certainly wouldn't guarantee all my money.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Emdog said:

"Ignite finance".... maybe if you've got money to burn

They want to pocket more money, open the visa gates, allow more criminal enterprise, discourage retirement , mone money money lol

• Agree 1

This is just ridiculous. Apparently the PM has no idea what is currently happening in the country. With the threatened taxation of foreign transfers (up to 35%) to Thailand, no expat (> 180 days in Thailand) will definitely transfer large sums of money to Thailand to buy Thai stocks, condos, businesses, etc. And that foreign investors will park or invest their capital in Thailand of all places? I have my doubts, there are much more stable countries on this planet.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Yet another dream last month it was bring in huge entertainment stars the month before was F1 motor racing can’t wait to see what he comes up with in August 

F1, Taylor Swift, aviation Hub, visa free access to the European Union, and now this nonsense. Achieved nothing. 

The only thing he has achieved is opening up the borders to more mass cheap tourism, thus destroying the experience even for those on a cheap holiday because they will be surrounded by mass cheap tourists. 

You do wonder how grounded in reality he is from his privileged upbringing. 

Edited by DonniePeverley

Can't we start with something a little more, well, realistic, if not achievable?

Let's try for "Hub of Maintained Sidewalks" and if all goes well we can shoot for "Hub of Sewer Drains Actually Connected to Sewers."

Edited by metisdead
Trolling video removed.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe someone can create a list of all the hubs Thailand wants to be, and when those hubs were announced, and what happened to them.

I guess Thailand is the country of the most hubs which never happened. 

I saw the annoucement on the news. Was just a bunch of Thai's sitting around a conference room. Didn't see any international attendees. 

Do you think it's just an excuse for a feast, some good food, and drinks in a social gathering ?

These declarations are hillarious. What do you think will be the next hub? 

I would just be happy if they can stop the taxi scams. 

Well they might start with making it easier for expats to send THB to overseas accounts (Paywise?) and allowing us to trade on Thai based crypto exchanges like Bitkub. 

23 hours ago, Emdog said:

"Ignite finance".... maybe if you've got money to burn

well when I was in Angola the poorest people had "money to burn" literally.  I jogged daily and would see local paper money along all the sidewalks, some with scorch marks some like new bills...upon asking the locals why, they woudld answer to cook food or warmth when it is cold as it has no monetary value.  Ah, yeah I think Thailand must be getting close to that financial situation too...and that is why I think the Thai taxes on world wide income will probably come next year.  Nothing but dire economic situation reports daily these days.

• Like 1

Comments from the grassroots:
- get Thai banks to use IBAN numbers; transfers from overseas are complicated as money is sent to one central SWIFT code from where it is manually directed onto a Thai bank account
- get commercial banks in Nong Khai to stock plenty of US dollar bills in all denominations. Presently it is impossible to buy dollars but selling dollars to the banks are most welcome. The same operational procedure was applied in Mae Sot and Mae Sai; all three points share the "border" business ............ 

All the time Thailand,   wants to stay the Hub of corruption.

Stuff like this is no more than a joke.

Carry on Thailand. 

We look forward to your next Hub of nonsense, on Monday morning. :coffee1:

Edited by rocketboy2

21 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

It is a very bold issue to want to get involved with. Before Thailand can be considered as a banking hub a few issues would need to be addressed. For example the attitude towards scams needs a serious looking into. Right now if you give information to a bank regarding scams they do nothing. This is not a good approach if the country wants to be a banking hub.

A bank I used to have in the Netherlands, now long closed, advised against having any bank in Thailand as the way the security was at the time meant anyone could pretty much take anything and would be almost certain to get away with it. Thankfully, since that time things have improved a lot. However, sending money out of country or bringing it in, is still not very easy I would doubt if anyone would commit their life savings to putting it all in a Thai bank.

Could be good if the many issues surrounding the Thai banking industry can be resolved and tightened up.

And there are the taxes....