Why are threads here more like personality surveys?

I'm really starting to notice that this forum is becoming nothing but one big Personality Survey, where intimate questions are asked, and personal answers sought on matters that I (mostly) don't care to share with complete strangers.

Aside from it being boring (I really dopn't care how much you <deleted> for instance) I think it is also unwise to reveal so much of yourself on a public forum. It always comes back to bite later.

Try coming up with thread topics that are a bit more cerebral, eh?

PS. I don't do Facebook either.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Flyguy330 said:

Good luck with that. I tried a few times and my threads bombed in short order.

Threads like ....' What made you come to Thailand ? '  or ' Why do guys marry bar girls '  are more regular than the menstrual cycle. But amazingly....they still get answers.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Flyguy330 said:

I'm really starting to notice that this forum is becoming nothing but one big Personality Survey, where intimate questions are asked, and personal answers sought on matters that I (mostly) don't care to share with complete strangers.

Aside from it being boring (I really dopn't care how much you <deleted> for instance) I think it is also unwise to reveal so much of yourself on a public forum. It always comes back to bite later.

My favourite number is 5, color blue. I like beaches and coconuts.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, susanlea said:

My favourite number is 5, color blue. I like beaches and coconuts.

400 baht hotels in Hua Hin, free gym or max 800 baht a month, wife/gf/partner do not like Koh Samui therefor you do not go, do not like to settle, maybe young retirement based on disabilty (guessing) 

24 minutes ago, Flyguy330 said:

Best to just scroll past threads you're not interested in and maybe start some yourself, except moaning ones

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

400 baht hotels in Hua Hin, free gym or max 800 baht a month, wife/gf/partner do not like Koh Samui therefor you do not go, do not like to settle, maybe young retirement based on disabilty (guessing) 

800 baht a month is great. 

• Sad 1

who cares, really, it is just another bad habit staying here to waste time, and if quit here, it is just going to be covered by another habit. Cant be out running all the time, and when at work, Im fortunate or unfortunated just there to wait to be part of the operation that often is delayed, waiting on weather, parts, etc. 

Just now, susanlea said:

800 baht a month is great. 

😄

It can be yes, found one in BKK we stayed often before, but tired of noise, bad airconditioning and aweful swimmingpool

Edited by Hummin

Just now, Hummin said:

who cares, really, it is just another bad habit staying here to waste time, and if quit here, it is just going to be covered by another habit. Cant be out running all the time, and when at work, Im fortunate or unfortunated just there to wait to be part of the operation that often is delayed, waiting on weather, parts, etc. 

Life is 60% bad habits.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Flyguy330 said:

I have noticed that a lot of the open ended questions come from new members.

Possibly trying to increase the 'click' rate?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Life is 60% bad habits.

the last week, I think I was fishing 24 hours, padling 4 hours, gym 4 hours, sleeping 35hours, 17 500 calories, lost 0,5kg

charging work 3 hours

1 minute ago, susanlea said:

1300 for 1 night

it have a gym, not always aircon on, but central. Hard to find anything better than that in BKK with gym and swimmingpool rooftop at simular location. Unless you go to these red light district hotels with only foreigner who change girls more often then they change underwear. Not sure it is because they do not change underwear to often, or they change girls rapidly as long their boner pill works

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

it have a gym, not always aircon on, but central. Hard to find anything better than that in BKK with gym and swimmingpool rooftop at simular location. Unless you go to these red light district hotels with only foreigner who change girls more often then they change underwear. Not sure it is because they do not change underwear to often, or they change girls rapidly as long their boner pill works

I stay near Don Muang. Cheapos there.

• Sad 1

It seems like some posters simply want to get as many responses as possible, so they pose questions like "What does everyone think of X?", "What's your dream X?", rather than asking about something specific that they need help with.

What the motive for these kinds of posts is (loneliness, ego, forum staff, etc.), we can but guess.

44 minutes ago, Flyguy330 said:

On a different  Thailand-related board I started a thread rebutting St. Anselm's ontological argument for the existence of God, but it didnt get any replies.  Another thread on the introduction of iambic pentameter into English poetry by Chaucer wasn't popular either, even though I revealed that nothing turns me on more than a bar girl with whom I can have intellectual discussions.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Flyguy330 said:

May I introduce you to the rich, rich body of postings by GammaGlobule?

My work here is done.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/21/2024 at 7:24 PM, Evil Penevil said:

On a different  Thailand-related board I started a thread rebutting St. Anselm's ontological argument for the existence of God, but it didnt get any replies.  Another thread on the introduction of iambic pentameter into English poetry by Chaucer wasn't popular either, even though I revealed that nothing turns me on more than a bar girl with whom I can have intellectual discussions.

Forsooth I know not why I am so sad

It wearies me, you say it wearies you

So wrote Shakespeare, some of the few lines I still recall by heart. What an incredible talent he was.

Yes, the old Iambic Pentameter, a rhythmic form in poetry that dates back to ancient Greek plays. I studied ancient Greek in school, and Latin too - what they now call 'A Classical Education'. My Greek textbook was Thrasymachus, and we were required to learn passages and decline the text using standardised iambic pentameter symbols. Pretty challenging for a 13 year old.

It was only in my later years I began to truly appreciate the value of my Greek and Latin studies - they are the root languages of so many European tongues, and they are embedded in the English language. It's always fascinating to know the etymology of common words in everyday use, I get a kick out of that. 

I recently read a piece by a Guardian journo who was commenting on the dissapearance of the Classics from modern education, and she actually wrote 'what use are those languages anyway in modern times'. The silly bitch hadn't the wit to realise the tool of her trade (the English language) is built on their foundations.

Edited by Flyguy330
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Flyguy330 said:

Yes, the old Iambic Pentameter, a rhythmic form in poetry that dates back to ancient Greek plays.

And then there's the intersection of an ancient verse form with one from the 1800s- the limerick.

"There once was a poet named van Lameter

who had a tool of tremendous diameter.

But it wasn't his size

that gave the girls a surprise.

T'was his rhythm- iambic pentameter."