Thai Citizens Anticipate 10,000-Baht Digital Wallet for Essential Expenses

webfact

image.jpeg

Nakhon Ratchasima — On August 3rd, 2024, Nakhon Ratchasima local media interviewed low-income residents from various professions at the Thao Suranaree (Ya Mo) Monument in Mueang about their plans for a proposed 10,000-baht digital wallet scheme.

Mrs. Tichila Buranathit, a 55-year-old street vendor, shared her hopes. Having completed her registration for the program, she is awaiting final approval.

“If I receive the 10,000 baht, I’ll use it to buy ingredients, especially sugar, which has become quite expensive at nearly 30 baht per kilogram. I need more than five kilograms daily, so this money would significantly reduce my costs and help make my business profitable again,” Tichila explained.

By Kittisak Phalaharn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-08-05

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

With all restrictions of what people can buy I am wondering if it will and can work. In fact the only thing that can be done with the 10k is buying food and daily groceries on markets, and small shops...which are normally already more expensive than than the supermarkets.. and for the person in the story what do you do with 5 kilo sugar every day?? It is very bad for your health, or you have a business maybe?

• Confused 5

3 hours ago, webfact said:

so this money would significantly reduce my costs and help make my business profitable again,” Tichila explained.

So until 10,000 is received she will continue selling at a loss?

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

and for the person in the story what do you do with 5 kilo sugar every day?? It is very bad for your health, or you have a business maybe?

"Mrs. Tichila Buranathit, a 55-year-old street vendor"

What do you think?

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Delete sugar, stay healthy and save money.

There seems to be a fallacy in her profitability-sugar analysis.

She states that if she uses the wallet money to subsidize her sugar purchases, then this will make her business profitable.

How can this be?

She should save the money in her bank account.

Then, in order to achieve profitability, she needs to negotiate a better price for sugar, or maybe import it in bulk, herself, using the Bt.10,000 she now has in the bank.

Or, she could raise her prices to reflect her true cost of doing business.

Only this way can she truly say that her business is profitable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

There seems to be a fallacy in her profitability-sugar analysis.

She states that if she uses the wallet money to subsidize her sugar purchases, then this will make her business profitable.

How can this be?

She should save the money in her bank account.

Then, in order to achieve profitability, she needs to negotiate a better price for sugar, or maybe import it in bulk, herself, using the Bt.10,000 she now has in the bank.

Or, she could raise her prices to reflect her true cost of doing business.

Only this way can she truly say that her business is profitable.

How is putting the money in the bank any different from buying it outright? 

People are already complaining about the price of food going up.. even farangs. There is only so much you can raise before you start losing business.

I don't think she is going to explain the details of buying sugar to a reporter. The point is that it has gotten expensive and this will help.

I thought the 10,000 baht was made available to the customer via the wallet.

The vender would recover costs of transactions via registering the sale via the wallet app.

Venders only get payment for services as decided by wallet administrators.(No electronics etc)

Off topic Some vendors already complaining about getting payment for services provided to the government sometimes takes 3 months

Edited by norbra

Define "essential expenses". I see gardeners trimming bushes and trees with two smart phones, either one costing certainly more than they would earn in a month. I see kiddies with motorbikes with all sorts of fancy nonsense on their bikes but no money for a helmet. I see cars with lucky draw car plates costing sometimes more than the vehicle those plates are affixed to. 

Only once you educate your people, that they:
- have to work for money and 
- they can only spend the money they have

only then you'll get the majority of the Thai people out of this financial death trap. 

My wife bought a plot of land for 2.5 million; the balance of a bank credit on the plot by the predecessor was 1.8 million. The initial loan was 500,000 Baht and they must have made some payments in the ten years between the loan taken and the land sold. The comment of the seller was, that they got 600,000 Baht for a plot of land they paid (with said loan) of 500,000 Baht. The real juicy cut was taken by the bank though but the seller did not understand that. 

1 hour ago, nakhonandy said:

Good question, it does seem vague.

My son said earlier it was initially mentioned that applicants had to prove they are in full-time paid employment. Is that true?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

She gets through 5 kilos of sugar daily?

What does she have? A Thai food stall? 

Probably outside school gates poisoning the kids

14 hours ago, scorecard said:

My son said earlier it was initially mentioned that applicants had to prove they are in full-time paid employment. Is that true?

I don't know, my wife is in full time employment. 

She hasn't a clue what the exact requirements are.

She thinks we won't qualify due to savings etc.

• Agree 1

On 8/5/2024 at 7:14 AM, Celsius said:

So until 10,000 is received she will continue selling at a loss?

Yes.

This was all part of her original business plan submitted two years ago.

• Haha 1