Electric Motorcycle Catches Fire

Georgealbert

19 minutes ago, itsari said:

If the motorcycle had been parked in a shopping centre carpark there would of been a major fire .

I am sure there will be more fires from electric motorcycles as they become more popular.

Especially if they are modified beyond the original specs in my opinion but I know even less about motorcycles than I do about EV's and the batteries that they use.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Don’t do DIY modifications on your electric bike  - should be bloody obvious.

I have owned a made in Thailand Deco electric bike for a couple of years and never had a problem with it 

https://decogreenenergy.com/olddeco/index.php/en/

Deco's are all LFP batteries, and yet to have one reported fire on the Deco FB group, with 1000s being sold in TH

The consequences from modifying the battery seem plain to all after reading the article .

But the ferocity of the fire is worrying modified or not.

• Agree 2

yes ....  further development on EV batteries is being addressed as there potential fire risk becomes more prevalent.

Japan is a world leader when it comes to EV battery technology ....

image.png.23df2849eeab2abef2ff2882adb059a5.png

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes ....  further development on EV batteries is being addressed as there potential fire risk becomes more prevalent.

I made this same point in a similar topic not long ago but it bears repetition: In 2023 in New York City there were 250 fires and 18 deaths attributed to E-bike batteries.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I have owned a made in Thailand Deco electric bike for a couple of years and never had a problem with it 

Deco's are all LFP batteries, and yet to have one reported fire on the Deco FB group, with 1000s being sold in TH

Yep ... another 'user error' oops with an EV.

Coming up on 3 years of owning our DECO SUSU model, and still lovin' it.  

If in the market for a new MC, and top end speed or range isn't a necessity, strongly recommend taking a peek at DECO line up, as qualify for govt incentive program @ 18k baht off.

image.png.ff5b2ff7daffb2f75d532b36f7cdac4b.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been looking at an Etrike, but this has normal lead acid batteries instead of these "wonderful" new E batteries made from Lithium etc.

Perhaps that would be a safer option.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

Your quote from February 2020 is a bit outdated, the world of battery technology moves fast so you might not have realized that Japanese companies have fallen way behind Chinese and Korean ones

IMG_6752.jpeg.b03fda7feb0393e5521c496549e3fb6d.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Yeh, safe as houses.........🤣

4 hours ago, dddave said:

I made this same point in a similar topic not long ago but it bears repetition: In 2023 in New York City there were 250 fires and 18 deaths attributed to E-bike batteries.  

2023 ... I wouldn't mind seeing a breakdown of those, and guessing, many, like the OP, were user error.

All the abuse I put my LiPo s (lithium batteries) through, I've yet to have an oops with them.  From overcharging, overheating, to crashing/hard impacts, and they just keep on ticking, after a massive kicking.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mikebell said:

The 1st thing many Thais do on conventional bikes  is to modify the exhaust/silencer by driving nails into it.  That way you get less kilometres per litre  but attract admiring glances at your look-at-me bike as you drive past the many deaf stall owners on the pavements.

Small dicks = loud exhaust .......

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

These batteries are dangerous. 

We are doomed now we have all these EV's driving around.

I live in OZ and watched on the news yesterday a house burned down due to recharging an E-battery. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/11/2024 at 5:55 AM, Georgealbert said:

and had also asked a mechanic to upgrade the battery system to increase its wattage, allowing for longer usage and greater travel distances.

this is nonsense, he wanted is to go faster 

now he knows why that was a stupid idea

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

2023 ... I wouldn't mind seeing a breakdown of those, and guessing, many, like the OP, were user error

I know that 4 of the 18 deaths were from a single fire.  An E-Bike shop, located in the ground floor of an apartment building caught fire in the middle of the night.  All four deaths were apartment residents.  Most of the other fires were in apartment residences were bike owners had brought their bikes upstairs, into their rooms as is customary for all style of bike owner in theft prone NYC.