change thai baht to euro's

bubblegum

I would have thought any reasonably busy kiosk (e.g. the one on the corner of Bangla and beach road) would do this.

They display both selling and buying rates and the spread is surprisingly narrow - especially compared to the 20% difference on the High Street back in the UK.

19 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

If you change more than you can leave the country with legally, there will be a marker set for you on the computer at immigration.

How do you know this?

It would be very hard to do since a person can make a number of exchanges at different places and different times.  So reporting and monitoring would be very complex.

• Agree 2

Wouldn't it be great if thaivisa or aseannow had a service to bring expats and others together to directly exchange without those money grabbing banks (or exchanges like SuperRich that are only in big cities) ?

I have some crispy 200 euro notes to exchange , but not in Phuket....

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Thailand 4.0 is about tracking every person, every transaction, phone calls, emails, GPS location, anything you can capture digitally, is captured digitally.

My phone does all of that!

But, if I leave it at home........

On 8/12/2024 at 8:44 AM, JBChiangRai said:

there are still the whole-body scanners concealed in the walls at the airport, for departing passengers they are looking for drugs & money. 

Right on.  No reason to look for weapons or explosives when you can look for drugs and money.  

Something is not quite right with this story.  Thai 4.0 is about a lot of stuff other than tracking.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Right on.  No reason to look for weapons or explosives when you can look for drugs and money.  

Something is not quite right with this story.  Thai 4.0 is about a lot of stuff other than tracking.

Thailand 4.0 is about many things.  I’m talking about the central storage of everyone’s digital footprint.

I can’t confirm foreigners are in the system yet, I don’t know the definitive answer to that.

As for customs, they are looking for many things with their technology, immigration look for different things and security different again.

Or perhaps you’re just being obtuse?

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2024 at 2:07 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Don't try leaving the country with too much cash on you.

If you change more than you can leave the country with legally, there will be a marker set for you on the computer at immigration.

Complete rubbish.

People outside the immigration department don't have access to the immigration database and they work together with banks.

Even within the immigration department the officers can only see information which is relevant for their position.

There is no option to set a "marker" against your name for exchanging money or something similar.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, merijn said:

Complete rubbish.

People outside the immigration department don't have access to the immigration database and they work together with banks.

You don't understand the digital and the aspects of the "one-view" system of Thailand 4.0

7 minutes ago, merijn said:

Even within the immigration department the officers can only see information which is relevant for their position.

Correct

7 minutes ago, merijn said:

There is no option to set a "marker" against your name for exchanging money or something similar.

And you know this how?  Were you a director of the company that managed security at BKK & Phuket Airports with many thousands of security personnel on-site?  

I suspect you are the one who is ignorant here and making assumptions.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sigmund said:

How much THB can one change at a time at a bank as a foreigner ?

The only limit I know is 2 million for AML, you can probably change more but they are obligated to report it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2024 at 8:44 AM, JBChiangRai said:

I spent 2 years as a director of the group that provided security at both Bangkok & Phuket airports.

I understand Thailand 4.0 and what it does, even if you got a friend to change your money to avoid the digital footprint, there are still the whole-body scanners concealed in the walls at the airport, for departing passengers they are looking for drugs & money.  I travelled to Manila to report on one potential manufacturer about 13 years ago.

Thailand 4.0 is about tracking every person, every transaction, phone calls, emails, GPS location, anything you can capture digitally, is captured digitally.

That's a load of BS, I just flew with like 1M baht in cash multiple times and was never even asked to show it. Same they would have no clue if you exchanged it at local shops, neither would it be any of their business. This is the job of customs, and one can simply declare it. 

What would even be the purpose of having scanners in walls lol, if you have a main security point for all this. Same for the machines to do a swab on the bags and tell you your good or not in seconds.

Edited by BakedPanda
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BakedPanda said:

That's a load of BS, I just flew with like 1M baht in cash multiple times and was never even asked to show it. Same they would have no clue if you exchanged it at local shops, neither would it be any of their business. This is the job of customs, and one can simply declare it.

You can and you should declare it.  If you don't, you may get away with it or you may not.  If you didn't declare it, maybe you got lucky.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

You can and you should declare it.  If you don't, you may get away with it or you may not.  If you didn't declare it, maybe you got lucky.

I'm not talking once, like dozens of times. Nobody cares about money. This is just an arrival thing for customs like anywhere in the world. Yes obviously you need to declare it if it is that much, which isn't a big deal either.

It was about 15 years ago when I was involved in the project to research body scanners for Thailand's airports.  We investigated many and at the time my 2 year contract was up, a particular model installed in a trial at Manila airport was favourite. I don't recall the name of it.  I was part of the group that went to Manila to see it working, basic but functional.  I'm sure they are much more accurate today.

I think your confusing departure with arrivals.  Covert scanning is for Arrivals and particularly by customs.  You will often find a "pinch point" in the nothing to declare exit.  This is where you will get scanned.  It's all over the world now, they are looking for all kinds of contraband.

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2024 at 9:25 AM, JBChiangRai said:

It was about 15 years ago when I was involved in the project to research body scanners for Thailand's airports.  We investigated many and at the time my 2 year contract was up, a particular model installed in a trial at Manila airport was favourite. I don't recall the name of it.  I was part of the group that went to Manila to see it working, basic but functional.  I'm sure they are much more accurate today.

I think your confusing departure with arrivals.  Covert scanning is for Arrivals and particularly by customs.  You will often find a "pinch point" in the nothing to declare exit.  This is where you will get scanned.  It's all over the world now, they are looking for all kinds of contraband.

I think that those secret things as mentioned by you are called luggage scanners which are located at customs arrivals where you are asked sometime to put your luggage through. 😆

Edited by merijn
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, merijn said:

I think that those secret things as mentioned by you are called luggage scanners which are located at customs arrivals where you are asked sometime to put your luggage through. 😆

Yeh but he is saying that they count the money in your bags and pockets including the change then convert it to Baht and compare to regulated amounts.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Yeh but he is saying that they count the money in your bags and pockets including the change then convert it to Baht and compare to regulated amounts.

Then i need that system for at home as i always misplace my money. 🙂

On 8/14/2024 at 8:14 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Or perhaps you’re just being obtuse?

I would think that was on point. And, somehow deserved. Please, let us know why they made the choice to appoint you as director of Thai security? That´s probably also what is wrong with the story. 😉 

• Agree 1

On 8/12/2024 at 8:07 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Don't try leaving the country with too much cash on you.

There are no legal restrictions on carrying any amount of cash out of the country, certain amounts have to be declared, that's all.  And exchanges/banks do not advise Immigration/Customs of exchanges exceeding certain declarable amounts.

• Agree 1

On 8/12/2024 at 8:30 AM, Dante99 said:
On 8/12/2024 at 8:07 AM, JBChiangRai said:

How do you know this?

He doesn't.

• Agree 1

On 8/12/2024 at 8:31 AM, FlorC said:

Wouldn't it be great if thaivisa or aseannow had a service to bring expats and others together to directly exchange without those money grabbing banks (or exchanges like SuperRich that are only in big cities) ?

I have some crispy 200 euro notes to exchange , but not in Phuket....

Who in their right mind would buy currency that could not be checked from AN strangers?!

On 8/28/2024 at 9:01 AM, JBChiangRai said:
On 8/28/2024 at 8:52 AM, merijn said:

Complete rubbish.

You don't understand the digital and the aspects of the "one-view" system of Thailand 4.0

And you do not understand the rules regarding carrying cash out of the country.

16 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

I would think that was on point. And, somehow deserved. Please, let us know why they made the choice to appoint you as director of Thai security? That´s probably also what is wrong with the story. 😉 

I was one of two directors appointed by an Israeli company (ICTS, shareholders) who are experts in AVSEC and whose company handles AVSEC at dozens of airports all over the world.  Without their expertise the security contracts with AOT could not have been won.

I worked with one of their MD's nearly 40 years ago in an Israeli software house and subsequently ICTS were customers of the software house I founded.  I was in Thailand (retired), impeccable character (previously a magistrate) and persuadable. I am an expert in IT, management, sales & marketing, the other director is an expert in AVSEC.

Does that answer your question Gottfrid? Why don't you tell me what you did?