Russian Man Arrested in Thailand After 1,599 Days Overstay

webfact

56 minutes ago, bobbin said:

They have taken over my condo building in Pattaya.. They add nothing. Trash the fitness facilities.. etc.

I had to leave my condo in BKK since funky koreans took it over. From "home sweet home" it turned into hell. Not they threw dumbbells over the gym and trash it to oblivion, they used to smoke and throw ashes and fags into beautiful (used to be) swimming pool. Very hot tempered, very angry - like a rabid dogs. 

So we moved and I sold that flat with quite a loss. 

I'd rather stay in a condo with russians or even brits than those madmen.

But nothing compares to separate house with a garden and jack fruit tree. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Repost ?

I seem to remember this "pivot to utopia rant" recently almost word-for word.

Edit : Though you might be in luck and the Thai PM reads your blueprint and acts on it..

I would imagine he's definitely looking for ideas, as nothing that he's done to date has worked, and he's probably getting tired of being labeled a complete failure, and having pulled after poll after poll show him as being hugely unpopular. 

Actually, current Russian laws allow citizens who have completed their compulsory service, without any further commitment, to be mobilized up to the age of 40, 50 or 55, depending on their category and rank.

Russia also maintains a "mobilized reserve" of men who have signed up to receive periodic military training: those from this reserve with the highest ranks can now be called back into service up to the age of 70, other senior ranks up to 65, junior officers up to 60.

Depending on the category Dimitri belongs to and on how much he is eager to pay in bribes, at 56 years old, he may or may not still be mobilized. This is nowadays Russia, not any different from tzar Nicholas II, 20th century, Russia. 

20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You think that 56-year olds are subject to conscription?   There's a good chance that he did his mandatory 12-months military service many years ago.

Edited by AndreasHG
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Homburg said:

The borders are apparently still open, with a lot of Ukrainians reported to be holidaying in the Kursk region.

yep, about 3 brigades heavy armed holiday seekers. Russians offer them extra crispy tan with TOS welcome fireworks. 

I can't watch this madness, seriously

3 hours ago, elektrified said:

There was the Japanese man in PKK who was in his 80's who was on I think 15 years overstay.  His next-door neighbor ratted him out because of a dispute she had with the Japanese man's Thai wife. I think that was last year or the year before.

Yeah, think it was 2019 a Japanese man had 19 years overstay. 😉 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The individual, identified as Mr. Dmitri (surname withheld), 56

If they think Mr Dmitri will not be back within 3months as Mr. Dimitri they are more daft than I thought. Nice trench waiting for him hopefully

27 minutes ago, AndreasHG said:

Actually, current Russian laws allow citizens who have completed their compulsory service, without any further commitment, to be mobilized up to the age of 40, 50 or 55, depending on their category and rank.

Russia also maintains a "mobilized reserve" of men who have signed up to receive periodic military training: those from this reserve with the highest ranks can now be called back into service up to the age of 70, other senior ranks up to 65, junior officers up to 60.

Depending on the category Dimitri belongs to and on how much he is eager to pay in bribes, at 56 years old, he may or may not still be mobilized. This is nowadays Russia, not any different from tzar Nicholas II, 20th century, Russia. 

46 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You think that 56-year olds are subject to conscription?   There's a good chance that he did his mandatory 12-months military service many years ago.

"Actually, current Russian laws allow citizens who have completed their compulsory service, without any further commitment, to be mobilized up to the age of 40, 50 or 55"

So, "actually", that doesn't apply to a 56-year old.

"Russia also maintains a "mobilized reserve" of men who have signed up to receive periodic military training: those from this reserve with the highest ranks can now be called back into service up to the age of 70, other senior ranks up to 65, junior officers up to 60".

If he's signed up voluntarily (unlikely if he's been here for 5 years) it would be no issue to him, as a volunteer; if he hasn't signed up it wont apply to him.

Pol. Lt. Gen. Saksira Pueak-am, Commanding Officer of the Tourist Police Bureau, has instructed a stricter oversight of foreign nationals and workers, particularly those involved in unlawful activities.

Am I reading that right? 

What an embarrassment for the semi-divine Royal Thai Immigration Bureau - seriously. 

Look up your fancy computer screens and you can run lists of who exactly has an overstay and, if data were entered correctly, you would have had a start where to look for the culprit. 

Quite obviously, if he would not have been sleeping on the road as a caucasian, nobody would have ever noticed - me thinks! 

• Haha 1

Russian-Canadian arrested for overstaying, begging on Koh Pha Ngan

COVER-PIC-4.jpg

Residents on Koh Pha Ngan island in the southern province of Surat Thani alerted the Tourist Police to a Russian-Canadian man found overstaying his visa and begging for food from locals.

Residents on the island reported to the Tourist Police that they witnessed a foreign man begging for food from various households and sleeping on a footpath. The foreigner’s begging behaviour annoyed people in the area, prompting them to contact the police.

Officers arrested the foreigner, later identified as 56 year old half-Russian, half-Canadian man Dimitri, outside the IT product store, Banana IT, yesterday, August 12. Dimitri was found to have overstayed his visa by 1,599 days, approximately four years.

The police requested to check his passport and found that he held both Russian and Canadian passports. He revealed that he was a half-Russian, half-Canadian national and entered Thailand using his Russian passport.

Dimitri was taken to Koh Pha Ngan Police Station for legal proceedings, where he was charged under Section 81 of the Immigration Act: residing in the country with an expired visa. The penalty is imprisonment of up to two years and a fine of up to 20,000 baht.

Thai police in each tourist destination are cracking down on foreigners overstaying their visas and those working illegally in the country.

By Petch Petpailin

Photo via KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-13

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Begging is only for Thai Monks.............Naughty Man.......:whistling:

I knew a guy run low on funds, went to stay with the monks for a week, then flew home.

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

How does having dual citizenship 'deepen the situation'?

Hm,.. They can ask both countries to pay for repatriation !!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, freeworld said:

How will that  stop individuals who want to overstay?

30 will keep their stamp date more fresh in their minds regarding 'time to leave' most should have funds for 30 thus illegal behaviour such as begging should disappear... 30 day exempt is a good start anyway......

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Actually, current Russian laws allow citizens who have completed their compulsory service, without any further commitment, to be mobilized up to the age of 40, 50 or 55"

So, "actually", that doesn't apply to a 56-year old.

"Russia also maintains a "mobilized reserve" of men who have signed up to receive periodic military training: those from this reserve with the highest ranks can now be called back into service up to the age of 70, other senior ranks up to 65, junior officers up to 60".

If he's signed up voluntarily (unlikely if he's been here for 5 years) it would be no issue to him, as a volunteer; if he hasn't signed up it wont apply to him.

I think you understand that it depends on when he signed. If he signed 31 years ago, assuming that Russia was going to peacefully coexist with its neighbors during his lifetime, then he made a mistake and now he is screwed.

Anyway, here in Bangkok I met more than one Russian who is terrified by the simple idea of returning to Russia, because of the mobilization. The issue is real.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

So they will depart Mr.D on Russian passport and he will return on Canadian passport. Big deal!

He'll spend some time in the immigration monkey house first and if he can't get some money together he could be in here for a long long time.

I hope he gets maximum jail time, and fine, then deported to Russia. Of course once he arrives there he

will likely be able to get his permission to go back to Canada. I guess that would depend on his status

in Russia.

14 hours ago, transam said:

Well, he's missed a lot of action back home............😋

Not for long probably straight to putins meat grinder poor bugger 

• Thumbs Up 1