Had really bad accident

19 hours ago, xylophone said:

I had something similar four months ago when the motorbike taxi driver flipped his motorbike with me on the back, going up a steep concrete drive. The result was a broken coccyx for me as well as severe concussion which affected my memory and balance quite markedly.

Fortunately a doctor at the Bangkok Phuket hospital managed to "rearrange the crystals" which are apparently at the base of the skull and are responsible for balance, and I got back to about 90% after that, but still have the occasional "spell".

It's now a few months on and I still get an occasional dizzy spell, and some days just feel so very tired. According to the doctors, rest is of paramount importance, for both my broken coccyx in the concussion. On the concussion, my memory has started to come back now, but not completely.

Good luck with your recovery/recuperation.

If I'm not being rude, was your hospital treatment paid for? Insurance? I suppose what I am really asking is are we insured if a passenger on a taxi motorbike which is involved in an accident and we require hospital treatment?

Also good luck with your recovery.

2 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Well, obviously you should try a car. No helmet necessary, normally.

Having a car in Pattaya?? You will spend a lot of time in traffic jams.

That´s sad to hear. Hope you are feeling better. Punches to the head can last long time, as it will be bruised and swollen inside. Take care, and get well.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It seems the op poorsucker has forgotten he started a thread

Maybe he forgot to read up on the advice he asked for and experienced an unfortunate event.

On 8/20/2024 at 10:49 AM, xtrnuno41 said:

No matter how careful you are, the other one could put you in a nasty situation.

This is the whole problem with motor bikes. In Thailand especially vulnerable at traffic lights. 

8 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

If I'm not being rude, was your hospital treatment paid for? Insurance? I suppose what I am really asking is are we insured if a passenger on a taxi motorbike which is involved in an accident and we require hospital treatment?

Also good luck with your recovery.

I wouldn't be placing my trust in anyone else riding or anyone else having insurance that will cover my costs in an accident caused by them or in / on a vehicle in which I am a passenger. 

Two Bangkok Taxi's have hit my car in the past - neither had insurance.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

When I'm riding around Udon i always wear my Go Pro Helmet Cam Reassures me if there is an accident I can prove it was not my fault.

I wanted this solution, but knew the time I go for a ride the go-pro is not charged... or runs out of charge, or I forget it etc... I waned a '100% on all the time' solution and chose the foreward and rear facing INNOV-K2 (motorcycle dash cam).

One small cam facing forwards, and one facing the rear - with the recording gubbins under the seat.

Never needed it...   But I know its on any time I use my bike...   Its not 360 coverage though... 

it covers 120 degrees forward and rear... so is missing about 60 degrees on either side. 

I'm waiting for someone to design something like a hard wired Insta360 that slots onto the end of each handlebar - that will pretty much guarantee 360 degree coverage. 

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

My last bike accident was in '82. Scull fractured, broken collarbone road rash, broken nose. 

I still rode a bit after that, but it sure took the fun out of it. 

I think that could be the same as many sports and past times that involve the risk for physical injury. 

Broken noses, split lips etc / split-cuts to head, torn muscles, torn meniscus,  torn hamstring, torn abdominal muscles, ruptured disks (spine), concussion(s), torn Platela, Snapped Achilles... 

And multiple damaged ego's (playing golf) .

Motorcycling - luckily so far, nothing, but based on all the above my riding is getting less and less as the recoveries are getting longer and longer...

Given recent injuries (and surgeries) I've been out of sport for 12 months now and expect to be out of sport for another 3-4 months.

One fall on a motorcycle just doesn't feel its worth the convenience of having the motorcycle any more.  

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think that could be the same as many sports and past times that involve the risk for physical injury. 

Broken noses, split lips etc / split-cuts to head, torn muscles, torn meniscus,  torn hamstring, torn abdominal muscles, ruptured disks (spine), concussion(s), torn Platela, Snapped Achilles... 

And multiple damaged ego's (playing golf) .

Motorcycling - luckily so far, nothing, but based on all the above my riding is getting less and less as the recoveries are getting longer and longer...

Given recent injuries (and surgeries) I've been out of sport for 12 months now and expect to be out of sport for another 3-4 months.

One fall on a motorcycle just doesn't feel its worth the convenience of having the motorcycle any more.  

I was about 25 when I had my last bike accident, and I was pretty rough for two months, I can't even imagine how long it would take now.

I know a guy in his sixties that dumped his bike and broke/messed up his hip ten years ago and he never really recovered. 

Tripping and falling on the sidewalk worries  me...

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I was about 25 when I had my last bike accident, and I was pretty rough for two months, I can't even imagine how long it would take now.

I know a guy in his sixties that dumped his bike and broke/messed up his hip ten years ago and he never really recovered. 

Same for me, but bathroom accidents like slipping over. It's what prompted me to get insured. My balance isn't so good 100% of the time.

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I had a major sports injury earlier this year while overseas... 

Needed surgery to re-affix tendons - Had travel insurance which covered the emergency treatment overseas, but opted to return to Thailand and have the operation here which was also covered under insurance - Total Cost was approximately US$15,000... 

... Still recovering and further recovery to the level of being able 'running around' will take another 6 months I think. I'm not sure I'll ever reach the same level of 'pain-free mobility'.... 

...But, that is a facet of doing some of these sports - if they're not dangerous, they're not fun.

That said, I'd place motorcycling around Thailand in a different category - for some is a convenience, for others its a necessity, only in the quieter hilly areas is it a pleasure... 

...    For me, its when the car is not available and I'm nipping somewhere nearby...     I think my days of regularly riding around Bangkok to a shopping centre, being shooed down into the stiflingly hot and humid bowels of a car-park into crammed spaces where the bike gets scratched by careless ayholes... and then walking into a shopping centre pished-wet through with sweat are behind me

....especially when I can rock up in the car full nice and cool with full AC and park near the doors in a 'booked space'... (space booked on an App)....

On 8/20/2024 at 2:06 PM, BritManToo said:

It's normal not to remember the accident.

Had one last year (hit and run), I remember nothing about it.

You was riding your bike home on a Friday afternoon  after going to immigration , as you were driving past a car you hit the car with your bag and this annoyed the cars driver , the car followed you and knocked you off your bike , an ambulance then came and took you to a public hospital where you didn't have much of a bill to pay because of the Thai medical card .

The cars driver was arrested and his Court case should have been last month 

On 8/20/2024 at 1:43 PM, PoorSucker said:

Hi my friends

Had a serious crash one and half week ago 

Sorry to hear about your accident PoorSucker.

Hope that you have a speedy and full recovery. :wai:

No advice from me - sounds you have the bases covered.

Stay well young man.

19 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You was riding your bike home on a Friday afternoon  after going to immigration , as you were driving past a car you hit the car with your bag and this annoyed the cars driver , the car followed you and knocked you off your bike , an ambulance then came and took you to a public hospital where you didn't have much of a bill to pay because of the Thai medical card .

The cars driver was arrested and his Court case should have been last month 

Dont forget - the university professor attempted to Murder him because he is a farang !! :whistling:

Really though - Even IF Brit scratched the guys car with his bag, didn't notice and rode off.... the reaction by the car driver (a Uni professor) was still outrageous extreme - he needs to be put in prison for attempted murder... So whatever Brit (accidentally did to the car) nothing deserves the response of the car driver. 

So.. while I disagree with Brit on many subjects... even though there has been a bit of jesting on this issue, I am fully supportive of him, his case and have and continue to wish him the fullest of recoveries and that any court ruling goes his way.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wanted this solution, but knew the time I go for a ride the go-pro is not charged... or runs out of charge, or I forget it etc... I waned a '100% on all the time' solution and chose the foreward and rear facing INNOV-K2 (motorcycle dash cam).

One small cam facing forwards, and one facing the rear - with the recording gubbins under the seat.

Never needed it...   But I know its on any time I use my bike...   Its not 360 coverage though... 

it covers 120 degrees forward and rear... so is missing about 60 degrees on either side. 

I'm waiting for someone to design something like a hard wired Insta360 that slots onto the end of each handlebar - that will pretty much guarantee 360 degree coverage. 

Does it have annoying and unsightly cables running along the length of the bike? This is the reason why I have never installed one.

2 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Does it have annoying and unsightly cables running along the length of the bike? This is the reason why I have never installed one.

I've used the INNOV K2 on two different Bikes.... 

> BMW ADV - Cams mounted by myself, easy to do.

I mounted the Front Cam just under the windshield and ran the cables down past the steering column alongside the brake cables, then ran them inside the body work alongside other wiring (neat job)... 

I mounted the Rear facing cam undernear the rear box tray, and ran that under the seat directly to the control module, simple enough.

> Vespa - Cams mounted by the shop. 

I wanted some mods on the bike and also gave them the INNOV-K2 to mount. 

- Front Cam, they ran from the handlebar (mirror mount), down through the faring into the control unit placed in the 'glove box'. 

- Rear Cam, they ram from the rear luggage rack, along the brake lines (inside the body work) past the battery into the control unit placed in the 'glove box'. 

- Control unit was wired into the battery - from  control unit placed in the 'glove box' to the battery under the footwell (area).

Note: I also installed a CTEK Battery tender as when the bike is parked up the cam does have some battery draw.... so part of that is hard wired into the battery and the fitting (attachment) pokes out of the battery cover. 

All looks neat enough and there is no obvious dangling wires. 

(slightly separate issue - I've installed all my own vehicle dash-cams too, and managed to tuck the wires away under the upholstery).

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've used the INNOV K2 on two different Bikes.... 

> BMW ADV - Cams mounted by myself, easy to do.

I mounted the Front Cam just under the windshield and ran the cables down past the steering column alongside the brake cables, then ran them inside the body work alongside other wiring (neat job)... 

I mounted the Rear facing cam undernear the rear box tray, and ran that under the seat directly to the control module, simple enough.

> Vespa - Cams mounted by the shop. 

I wanted some mods on the bike and also gave them the INNOV-K2 to mount. 

- Front Cam, they ran from the handlebar (mirror mount), down through the faring into the control unit placed in the 'glove box'. 

- Rear Cam, they ram from the rear luggage rack, along the brake lines (inside the body work) past the battery into the control unit placed in the 'glove box'. 

- Control unit was wired into the battery - from  control unit placed in the 'glove box' to the battery under the footwell (area).

Note: I also installed a CTEK Battery tender as when the bike is parked up the cam does have some battery draw.... so part of that is hard wired into the battery and the fitting (attachment) pokes out of the battery cover. 

All looks neat enough and there is no obvious dangling wires. 

(slightly separate issue - I've installed all my own vehicle dash-cams too, and managed to tuck the wires away under the upholstery).

I've mounted several cams in cars too, easy enough to tuck the cables in. Somehow I always figured it was trickier to do on a a motorbike, but probably not that big a deal. Or I could just ask the friendly staff at Honda to do it.

Thanks a lot for the details.

Edited by rattlesnake
Typo.

On 8/22/2024 at 4:26 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Sorry to hear about your accident PoorSucker.

Hope that you have a speedy and full recovery. :wai:

No advice from me - sounds you have the bases covered.

Stay well young man.

Lucky for me, I have Social security card.

Yesterday went for CT scan, apparently I have high blood pressure, gave me Tesco bag with drugs.

No cost, the social security card is worth gold.

Could not get it Samui as Manager .

Advice from me... Let some else be manager on paper, be assistant 

Pay social security, for the rest of your life.

If you are in the system you can pay volunteer to stay in the system.

Had CT scan,three doctors, eight different drugs yesterday, covered with my cc card.

Really you need this card, it's for when you retire also.,you pay 480 baht per month 

Talk to your lawyer.

You really need this card

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

Lucky for me, I have Social security card.

Yesterday went for CT scan, apparently I have high blood pressure, gave me Tesco bag with drugs.

No cost, the social security card is worth gold.

Could not get it Samui as Manager .

Advice from me... Let some else be manager on paper, be assistant 

Pay social security, for the rest of your life.

If you are in the system you can pay volunteer to stay in the system.

Had CT scan,three doctors, eight different drugs yesterday, covered with my cc card.

Really you need this card, it's for when you retire also.,you pay 480 baht per month 

Talk to your lawyer.

You really need this card

Thanks Poorsucker. :thumbsup:

I have had a card/SS number for more than 20 years. Not sure how. As a Director maybe?

I now pay the 432 baht by standing order.

Retiring is not in my genes. My mother beat into me as a kid 'if you do nothing, you get nothing.'

73 and still working 10 - 12 hours a day, 7 days  week. (Mostly desk work and talking to guests. Nothing heavy.)

Stay well and keep posting.