Bangkok Taxi Driver Faces Backlash for Not Using Meter

snoop1130

csm_IMG-3247_5776e66660.jpg

A taxi driver in Bangkok triggered a social media frenzy when a passenger posted a video on TikTok showing him refusing to use the meter and insisting on a flat fee. The video, posted by user @praewspmi, sparked widespread disapproval and calls for stronger implementation of regulations.

The video features the passenger trying to get a taxi near Siam BTS station. A yellow taxi stops, and the following conversation ensues:

Passenger: “To Worachak, please.”

Driver: “That will be 150 baht.”

Passenger: “Aren't you using the meter?”

Driver: “No, sorry.”

Passenger: “You're not using it anymore?”

Driver: “Sorry.”

Passenger: “Thank you.”

The video gained massive attention after being reposted on the Facebook page อยากดังเดี๋ยวจัดให้ รีเทริน์ part 7. Many viewers expressed annoyance about the perceived mild consequences for such actions, suggesting that nominal fines don't discourage improper behavior by taxi drivers.

“With such minor fines, why would taxi drivers feel threatened? It's not surprising that they keep breaking the rules.”

“Is the only role of the transport authorities to update registrations now?”

Local rules mandate taxis to use meters for all rides, with penalties for non-compliance. However, the enforcement of these rules is often seen as lacking, leading to recurrent offenses.

The Transport Ministry faces pressure to take harsher measures against drivers who fail to follow the rules. The recurring calls for stricter enforcement and increased fines are meant to prevent passengers from random fare demands. The video has reignited discussions on effective regulation methods to safeguard consumers.

Overpricing by taxi drivers and their refusal to go to certain areas have been long-standing issues in Bangkok. The advent of ride-hailing apps has somewhat eased these problems by providing passengers with clear pricing and reliable service. Still, traditional taxis play a significant role in the city’s transport system, making their regulation a pressing concern.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-20

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, 2long said:

They win some, they lose some.

It's the same for passengers.

It's a numbers game.

Taxi drivers assume that most foreigners are tourists.

They know that tourists very rarely report them.

I had the same issues back in '93 when I lived in Asoke.

No meter on - get out and catch another taxi. (Smart phones were not a thing back then.)

A similar thing happened to me on Sukhumvit near Soi 22. I wanted to go to Soi 2. I hailed the taxi on the street, but he wanted 200 baht. I told him to p-ss off and walked to the Sky Train. (I'd have preferred the taxi, but it is what it is).

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The number of taxi drivers in tourist areas who do not use the meter has increased significantly. It feels like only every fourth taxi goes at the regular price per meter. The vast majority of taxi drivers try to scam passengers.

The dam broke. They went from charging what the fair price would be [meter is unfair to them] to multiples of what the fair price would be.

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
9 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The vast majority of taxi drivers try to scam passengers.

A minority may, the vast majority do not.

That depends what you regard as a scam when bringing out your LL Rule Book of Pedantic Points... 

You could argue that a Taxi driver who quotes 300 baht for a journey that would normally cost 80 baht on the meter is not trying to scam a person because he's being open with his quote. 

You could argue that a group of Taxi drivers who quote 300 baht for a journey that would normally cost 80 baht on the meter are not trying to scam a person because they are have all agreed upon their inflated rates.

But... others would rightly agree that the above scenario's are a scam - because the law is being broken to the benefit of the taxi drivers at the cost of the passenger. 

And... in the interest of fairness... Try and take a taxi from Sukhumvit 71 at 10pm at night and 95% will go straight to the meter no hassles. 

It obviously depends on area and time...

But I would argue in the centre of Bangkok at night time, over half the drivers are scammers (i.e. refusing in the meter)... but in the day time, its less.

I would argue that on Sukhumvit Soi 11 after 9pm at night, 95% of drivers are scammers (refusing to use the meter).

It all depends on what your definition of scam is - and IMO refusing to use the meter is tantamount to scamming.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/20/2024 at 5:40 PM, 2long said:

At the end of the day, Bangkok taxis are incredibly cheap, and easy to find.

True... but its still the hassle of going from 4 or 5 or more....   and that wears very thin.

Or the repetitive issues of trying to book a Bolt or Grab only to have them refuse the fare or not be able to get a fare (much of the time)... 

At one point: when UBER was in Bangkok, there was just UBER and GRAB and it was so easy to get a taxi anywhere any time.... just use the App and they come quickly.... 

Now, there is a huge step backwards....   

First world problems - yep, its still better than Pattaya or Patong etc... However, Bangkok is a Captial City - and most visitors will use a taxi at some point - the behavior of Thai taxi drivers showcases the worst of Thai Characterists rather than the best. 

I've seen the same shoddy practices in other Country's and my take away is... why bother returning to that place if everyone is out to scam us...

.... So, I often wonder what % of 'would be return tourists' end up not returning because of poor encountered that tip them over the edge ???

I recently visited a place where I'd definitely be a return tourist... But because of the hustlers and hassles and attempted scams all around it wasn't relaxing as I wanted it to be, I'll think twice before returning...  and perhaps rely on ideas to visit elsewhere instead.

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
9 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The vast majority of taxi drivers try to scam passengers.

A minority may, the vast majority do not.

That depends what you regard as a scam

No, it doesn't.   I wasn't commenting on what defines a scam, I was commenting on his claimed proportions.

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it doesn't.   I wasn't commenting on what defines a scam, I was commenting on his claimed proportions.

And I think 50/50 is fair accusation - but its down to individual experience....   thus your correction is as flawed for the very same reasons you question the comment itself. 

IMO: In central Bangkok in the day time: It used to be about 30% trying to scam us... now in my experience its about 70%... 

In central Bangkok in the day time: It used to be about 30% trying to scam us... now in my experience its about 50%... 

By 'central Bangkok, I mean area's such as: 

- Khoa Sarn Road Area

- Siam / MBK area

- Central World

- Asoke Area

- Nana Area

- Ekammai up to Asoke

- Sukhumvit Soi 11 (after 10pm 100% of drivers will scam high 3x rates)

- Rajamangala stadium after an event (100% of drivers will scam extortionate rates asking for 1000 Baht)

- Bitek after an event (100% of drivers will scam extortionate rates)

- Impact Area after an event (100% of drivers will scam extortionate rates)

Out of town obviously less scammers more honest taxi drivers.... (as per my example - Suk 71 seems to be fare fewer scam attempts).

• Confused 1

Don't go into centre of Bkk that often these days, but did to MBK for a concert on Sunday. Taxi there from victory 69 baht meter, cheapest quote going back 250 baht, robbing bastards, they don't care as they know nobody will say anything and if they did nothing would happen. Got a van.

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thai taxi drivers showcases the worst of Thai Characterists rather than the best. 

I've seen the same shoddy practices in other Country's and my take away is... why bother returning to that place if everyone is out to scam us...

.... So, I often wonder what % of 'would be return tourists' end up not returning because of poor encountered that tip them over the edge ???

Every single Western tourist I ever met has been scammed here - by taxi drivers,  hustlers, market vendors, whoever.

And every single one of them,  without exception,  told me how friendly and nice Thais (the ones who scammed them) were. How cheap everything was. 

How they only paid  500 B for a taxi (that, using a meter, would have been 250), only 80 B  for a delicious bowl of noodle soup at a street stall, only 350 four a breakfast (egg, canned "bacon", " toast", instant "coffee") etc etc ad infinitum. 

I gave up to telling these idiots they got scammed - they don't want to hear it anyway.  They arrive at the airport,  haggle the taxi fare to  Soi 71 (250B by meter) down to "only 700B" from 1000B, and are proud and happy.

Farang tourists want to be scammed, get scammed, and everybody is happy. 

But I live here,  and I am not happy to be scammed!

Happens sometimes with taxis (rarely,  but I don't go to places like Khaosarn), quite often at markets.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

Every single Western tourist I ever met has been scammed here - by taxi drivers,  hustlers, market vendors, whoever.

And every single one of them,  without exception,  told me how friendly and nice Thais (the ones who scammed them) were. How cheap everything was. 

How they only paid  500 B for a taxi (that, using a meter, would have been 250), only 80 B  for a delicious bowl of noodle soup at a street stall, only 350 four a breakfast (egg, canned "bacon", " toast", instant "coffee") etc etc ad infinitum. 

I gave up to telling these idiots they got scammed - they don't want to hear it anyway.  They arrive at the airport,  haggle the taxi fare to  Soi 71 (250B by meter) down to "only 700B" from 1000B, and are proud and happy.

Farang tourists want to be scammed, get scammed, and everybody is happy. 

But I live here,  and I am not happy to be scammed!

Happens sometimes with taxis (rarely,  but I don't go to places like Khaosarn), quite often at markets.

Recently in another country - out till late with my Wife and Son at a nice restaurant.

Tried using the local Taxi Apps - nothing worked.

Went to the street to flag down a taxi - about 10 in a row outright refused...

It took us over an hour to finally get a taxi that would take us for 3x the 'expected' fare.

Not impressed....  because of such experiences I have little intention to return.

Not a one off event - but repeated scam attempts just take away from the experience that it gets to the point, why bother - does the good of enjoying a city outweigh the negatives of getting irritated by these scum - sometimes I think not.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Recently in another country - out till late with my Wife and Son at a nice restaurant.

It took us over an hour to finally get a taxi that would take us for 3x the 'expected' fare.

Not impressed....  because of such experiences I have little intention to return.

Not a one off event - but repeated scam attempts just take away from the experience that it gets to the point, why bother - does the good of enjoying a city outweigh the negatives of getting irritated by these scum - sometimes I think not.

Why not mention the country? Not like they can sue you for defamation once you leave?

In Canada, for example, taxi scams are on the rise.

I personally never had an issue with a taxi driver quoting me a higher fare IN ADVANCE.

A lot of cry baby foreigners who cry about 2 baht when Thailand throws a bit of capitalism on them 

23 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Why not mention the country? Not like they can sue you for defamation once you leave?

In Canada, for example, taxi scams are on the rise.

Because I don't want to and prefer to maintain some anonymity...   having recently travelled to xx and xx countries gives may give away who I am to other forum members who may actually know me in person, and I'm way too much of an ayhole on here to allow for that !!!...   (there are a few weirdo's who do stalk)... 

I personally never had an issue with a taxi driver quoting me a higher fare IN ADVANCE.

I do... because they are ripping me off...   Where do you draw the line? 5x... 10x the going rate ?

So if I'm trying to get home from Sukhumvit Soi 11 at night and 10 taxi drivers in a row are quoting 500 baht, is that acceptable (for an 80 baht journey) ???

A lot of cry baby foreigners who cry about 2 baht when Thailand throws a bit of capitalism on them 

How about if you want a Meal.. and instead of charging you the Menu price they double it, because they can... after all, its just a bit of capitalism, isn't it ???

But its not just the 3x and 5x charges.... its being stuck and having successive taxi's outright refusing the fare. 

This happens to me regularly on Friday nights etc.. and I just have to deal with the cheating scum as most people do.

This also happened to my Wife when picking up my son from school (we were without a car for 2 weeks)... she couldn't believe it - midday, Mother and Child getting rejected by taxi after taxi... sometimes up to 10 in a row - rather offensive behavior of scummy taxi drivers if you ask me. 

Its not about 2 baht or measly change - its about a service that taxi drivers have agreed to undertake and then cherry pick their rides, are rude, repeatedly reject rides, inflate their fares etc... 

...  IMO a lot of taxi drivers are scum for this level of behavior they carry out - its a real shame for the many good taxi drivers out there trying to earn a clean honest living - for they get tarred with the same brush.

And Grab now is just as bad - if I know I'm going out at 6pm tomorrow I can book ahead... 

But then 30mins before the ride comes, they cancel. 

Same going to the airport - Book the day Advance, the ride cancels - but at least there is a way around this and AOT is reliable. 

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It annoys me too, if I can't get a taxi,  nobody wants to take me. Especially if I have no choice,  like going to the airport. 

OTOH I often understand the drivers. 

I once had the smart idea to go to Prapadaeng at Songkhran - the driver regretted it, and I regretted it, too.

The other day I had to go by taxi (I couldn't take BTS) from Phetkasem to Onnut, at 4pm. I knew it would be difficult to find a driver (and it was), so I allowed for several hours and didn't make any plans before 8pm.

Several drivers apologized profusely, and helped me to find someone to take me.

18 hours ago, Lorry said:

It annoys me too, if I can't get a taxi,  nobody wants to take me. Especially if I have no choice,  like going to the airport. 

OTOH I often understand the drivers. 

I once had the smart idea to go to Prapadaeng at Songkhran - the driver regretted it, and I regretted it, too.

The other day I had to go by taxi (I couldn't take BTS) from Phetkasem to Onnut, at 4pm. I knew it would be difficult to find a driver (and it was), so I allowed for several hours and didn't make any plans before 8pm.

Several drivers apologized profusely, and helped me to find someone to take me.

It took me 3 attempts with Bolt, no joy... 2 Attempts with InDrive, no Joy and finally 3 attempts with GRAB to get a taxi last night. 

I live in a MooBaan down a Soi... so there are no passing taxi's and its a long walk to the main road... So I wanted to 'order a GRAB taxi... 

When the a GRAB driver accepted the ride on the 3rd attempt he didn't move for 10 mins... 

(the area is a very clear area of road) down a sub-soi... 

I have a strong suspicioun the driver accepted the ride, then carried on merrily eating his meal before he decided to move... 

- A double issue there - either wait the 10mins for the driver to eat, or cancel because he showed no signs of moving and then go through the hassle of maybe / maybe not getting a GRAB... 

A number of years ago when it was UBER and GRAB the services were excellent - its now turned to shyte...  

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It took me 3 attempts with Bolt, no joy... 2 Attempts with InDrive, no Joy and finally 3 attempts with GRAB to get a taxi last night. 

I live in a MooBaan down a Soi... so there are no passing taxi's and its a long walk to the main road... So I wanted to 'order a GRAB taxi... 

When the a GRAB driver accepted the ride on the 3rd attempt he didn't move for 10 mins... 

(the area is a very clear area of road) down a sub-soi... 

I have a strong suspicioun the driver accepted the ride, then carried on merrily eating his meal before he decided to move... 

- A double issue there - either wait the 10mins for the driver to eat, or cancel because he showed no signs of moving and then go through the hassle of maybe / maybe not getting a GRAB... 

A number of years ago when it was UBER and GRAB the services were excellent - its now turned to shyte...  

I don't use the apps.

Used Cabb, which was very good for one year,  then they told me I would have to order 24hrs in advance. :sad:

Tried  Bolt maybe 3 times,  never found a driver. :sad:

So I still use taxis, but often hard to get, I agree. Sometimes I take the bus,  or I walk...I once took a motocycle to the airport,  no taxis anywhere

I have had more bad memories of Taxi drivers in Bangkok that when i visit now (as infrequently as possible) i plan my travel in the town to avoid using them. Do have one good memory - my UK daughter and boyfriend  were visiting Thailand and wanted to see the sites of Bangkok so spent 3 days there - ONCE a taxi driver used the meter and refused a tip, said the fare is the fare, not want more!

These taxi's are dinosaurs. They will soon be replaced by ride hailing apps where the routes and fares are monitored. Sad in a way, but that's progress. The human component will be phased out and it will be more just interacting with your cell phone.

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

These taxi's are dinosaurs. They will soon be replaced by ride hailing apps where the routes and fares are monitored. Sad in a way, but that's progress. The human component will be phased out and it will be more just interacting with your cell phone.

Most already use apps. Only Bangkok airports quicker to use taxis.